Woohoo!! Free treats

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
edited March 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Now that I have your attention, there has been a slight decrease in blood donations due to coronavirus fears, and it is likely to get worse as more and more people hunker down. I am a firm believer in donating blood if you can because it DOES save lives, and I am one of them thanks to the 4 people who donated the 4 pints I needed 6 years ago. I realize not everybody can and the fear of needles is real, but there are a lot of people who can but just don't want to bother. This is to remind regular donors that now would be a good time and maybe encourage someone to become a first time donor.

Every time the subject comes up, someone asks how they should log it. Personally, I don't. As far as how it affects weight loss, and the reason for the title of this thread: after you donate you get free treats. Supposedly it takes an extra 600 calories spread over several weeks to replenish your blood so I have my after-donation treat, keep it 400 or less calories, and don't bother logging it since I assume it is kind of a wash with the extra calories needed. More fun than logging an extra 10 exercise calories per day.

Replies

• earlnabby
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I'll co-sign that!

I may not have needed an blood transfusion (yet), but considering I'm a 0-, I'd rather not push my luck and donate as often as I am able (less than I'd like, more than my doctor would like). In the hopes, that if I am ever in need, someone else thought as I did and went to donate :smile:

So far I have donated several gallons lifetime and only taken back a quart. I am still on the positive side of the ledger.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I'll co-sign that!

I may not have needed an blood transfusion (yet), but considering I'm a 0-, I'd rather not push my luck and donate as often as I am able (less than I'd like, more than my doctor would like). In the hopes, that if I am ever in need, someone else thought as I did and went to donate :smile:

So far I have donated several gallons lifetime and only taken back a quart. I am still on the positive side of the ledger.

That's pretty much my long term goal. Now that I have a medically induced amenorrhea, I might even be able to donate more often. I was so often low on hemoglobin that I couldn't donate.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I'll co-sign that!

That's pretty much my long term goal. Now that I have a medically induced amenorrhea, I might even be able to donate more often. I was so often low on hemoglobin that I couldn't donate.

I got sent home about half the time for low hemoglobin (just under the minimum). I indulged in protein and a lot of raisins and went back a couple of days later and was usually high enough. Since menopause 9 years ago I have never been turned away. Yet another reason I was so looking forward to it!
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    I'll co-sign that!

I got sent home about half the time for low hemoglobin (just under the minimum). I indulged in protein and a lot of raisins and went back a couple of days later and was usually high enough. Since menopause 9 years ago I have never been turned away. Yet another reason I was so looking forward to it!

I have another 10-15 years to go before menopause. Gyn and I are hoping that the meds will keep on working, or I'll be needing a hysterectomy.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying not being anemic and being able to help others with my donations.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    I get anemic so quickly and can't donate. I do congratulate everyone who does though.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    I think it is absolutely awesome for those who can donate blood. I have wanted to all my life. I am one of the ones that get turned away since I lived in Germany in the early 80's. Since I lived in a country with mad cow disease, I am excluded (as most military and their families are).

Well...I’ve never heard this before! I’m in the U.K. (which was also affected by BSE/CJD).

I’ve been giving blood since I turned 17 (that was the entry age way back then - it’s now 18 here). The only sessions I’ve missed have been during pregnancies and the year after, plus the odd hiatus due to other surgeries etc.

Closing in on the 100 units landmark!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I'll co-sign that!

I have another 10-15 years to go before menopause. Gyn and I are hoping that the meds will keep on working, or I'll be needing a hysterectomy.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying not being anemic and being able to help others with my donations.

If you are taking meds to lessen heavy bleeding from fibroids, what are they? Tranexamic acid has helped me quite a bit, but not enough.

I first learned I was anemic when I was turned away from giving blood years ago.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    @earlnabby
    Thanks for posting this thread. I donated regularly during my 20s and early 30s, then started getting rejected most of the time for low hemoglobin, then as I put on some pounds I started getting rejected sometimes for high blood pressure, and it just started seeming like a waste of time. But now that I've lost those extra pounds and have crossed the border from perimenopausal and to menopausal, I need to find somewhere to go donate. (In my 20s and 30s there were regular on-campus or work-site blood drives that made it easy. Now I telecommute, so I don't guess there will be a blood drive in my house. :/
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    I think it is absolutely awesome for those who can donate blood. I have wanted to all my life. I am one of the ones that get turned away since I lived in Germany in the early 80's. Since I lived in a country with mad cow disease, I am excluded (as most military and their families are).

Same here - stationed in Italy for 2 yrs in the early 90s. Wish I could donate, I’m B+ which is kinda rare
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    I give blood routinely and donated last Monday. While losing weight I don't take the treat, lol.

I will say that prior to my hysterectomy 14 months ago, I probably got turned away about 1/3 of the time for barely under cut-off hemoglobin and was never over about 13.1. The last few times have been in the 13.5-14.1 range.

I am O+ and while I don't manage to hit it every 8 weeks like clockwork, I usually donate 4-5 times per year for whole blood and another couple for platelets. I do double red sometimes, but then have to wait 16 weeks.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I genuinely look forward to the 12 weeks passing so I can donate again and get my chocolate milkshake! 39 days to go
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'll co-sign that!

If you are taking meds to lessen heavy bleeding from fibroids, what are they? Tranexamic acid has helped me quite a bit, but not enough.

I first learned I was anemic when I was turned away from giving blood years ago.

@kshama2001 That I am. I can't take tranexamic acid due to the side effect (caused my last bout of gastritis and dizziness to the point of not being functional anymore) and the effect was disappointing to say the least. So my gyn started me on a higher than usual dosage of desogestrel (minipill) until I hit amenorrhea. The side effects were bearable compared to the effects of the fibroids on my menses. I had collapsed repeatedly during the summer to the point of needing to be taken to the ER. The hypermenorrhea was starting to be the least of my worries. It's been 9 months, so we're both cautiously optimistic that I'll manage it a couple of years.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm AB+. They usually turn me away.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'll co-sign that!

@kshama2001 That I am. I can't take tranexamic acid due to the side effect (caused my last bout of gastritis and dizziness to the point of not being functional anymore) and the effect was disappointing to say the least. So my gyn started me on a higher than usual dosage of desogestrel (minipill) until I hit amenorrhea. The side effects were bearable compared to the effects of the fibroids on my menses. I had collapsed repeatedly during the summer to the point of needing to be taken to the ER. The hypermenorrhea was starting to be the least of my worries. It's been 9 months, so we're both cautiously optimistic that I'll manage it a couple of years.

Oh, wow, I've been having stomach issues lately. No official diagnosis. My GP thought the fibroids might be pushing on my stomach and causing acid to go up. I have more pain when my fibroids are biggest at ovulation so that made sense. She prescribed omeprazole, but I don't want to take a PPI indefinitely, but did take it when I last ovulated and the difference was amazing.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    @earlnabby
    Thanks for posting this thread. I donated regularly during my 20s and early 30s, then started getting rejected most of the time for low hemoglobin, then as I put on some pounds I started getting rejected sometimes for high blood pressure, and it just started seeming like a waste of time. But now that I've lost those extra pounds and have crossed the border from perimenopausal and to menopausal, I need to find somewhere to go donate. (In my 20s and 30s there were regular on-campus or work-site blood drives that made it easy. Now I telecommute, so I don't guess there will be a blood drive in my house. :/
    Check the websites for the Red Cross or other blood donation centers in your area. They post locations and usually post upcoming blood drives. Even if it is a company blood drive, they usually allow outsiders to stop by (especially if they are competing with another office).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    This reminds me that I have been clean on anemia my past 2 visits to the doctor so I am probably eligible again. It was only slight but enough to make donating unwise.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I just donated blood on Thursday. Not because of coronavirus, just because it was my regular quarterly donation. I almost got turned away because my RHR was too low. But she let me wait a few minutes and try again. I've been turned away before for being anemic, but I didn't know that they would turn you away for having too low of a heart rate.

@BarbaraHelen2013 I guess if you live in the UK they will take your blood, but in the US they won't take it if you have spent too much time over there.
  • earlnabby
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I just donated blood on Thursday. Not because of coronavirus, just because it was my regular quarterly donation. I almost got turned away because my RHR was too low. But she let me wait a few minutes and try again. I've been turned away before for being anemic, but I didn't know that they would turn you away for having too low of a heart rate.

@BarbaraHelen2013 I guess if you live in the UK they will take your blood, but in the US they won't take it if you have spent too much time over there.

My SIL has low blood pressure. She says she always knows when they really want blood because they tell her to take a 5 minute walk and come back. When they have a good supply they send her away. Apparently low blood pressure means it will take a long time to fill the bag and they might not even be able to get a full pint which means what you did donate has to be destroyed.