Woohoo!! Free treats

Options
2»

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I used to donate occasionally in college but then my blood clotted several times and it went to waste. Since then, I stopped donating. I do feel that if someone is able to donate, that it is a nice thing to do.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to add my encouragement to donate if you can. I donated regularly from 18 to my mid sixties, and wish I could continue. Donations really do save lives.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm AB+. They usually turn me away.

Me too, but they love our plasma and/or platelets!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    leonadixon wrote: »

Maybe because I'm small, but I've never had them ask for plasma/platelets. I have known others who are given that option.
  • mph323
    Options

Interesting 😊 I'm AB neg and I got a call every 2 months. Apparently my blood is good for preemies.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I tried last year and was rejected because I had an unexplained PE event 20 years ago. I figured if they're that picky that they'd knock me back because of something that was ancient history then they can't be that hard up for donors.
  • mph323
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I tried last year and was rejected because I had an unexplained PE event 20 years ago. I figured if they're that picky that they'd knock me back because of something that was ancient history then they can't be that hard up for donors.

Yeah the guidelines can be kind of arbitrary. My dad got malaria in Korea during WWII and they went back and forth on his eligibility every few years until he aged out.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Interesting 😊 I'm AB neg and I got a call every 2 months. Apparently my blood is good for preemies.

AB- (or any negative blood type) is a whole different ballgame!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

What is the reasoning? Is it because there is little call for it and most goes to waste?
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm too small to give blood!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

What is the reasoning? Is it because there is little call for it and most goes to waste?

AB+ is a universal receiver, so no one except other AB+ can accept AB+ blood. A waste of storage space since AB+ can receive any blood type. Kind of the opposite of O-, which is the universal donor. I'm O- and they constantly beg for me to donate and will even sometimes give extra swag to O-.

nuz21fi53n09.png

Thanks. I had a feeling it was something like that. I am O+ so not universal but any other + can have my blood AND it is the most common with something like 1/3 of all people being O+. They like my blood too.
  • mph323
    Options
    Yeah, as far as I know they mostly used my AB neg blood for babies where they want to match exactly. I lack some antibody that makes my blood a good match for preemies. When I was younger I used to check in with the blood center when a call went out for extra blood donations but i was always told (politely) not to bother :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Yeah, as far as I know they mostly used my AB neg blood for babies where they want to match exactly. I lack some antibody that makes my blood a good match for preemies. When I was younger I used to check in with the blood center when a call went out for extra blood donations but i was always told (politely) not to bother :)

Hehe. And I get a personal call every 6 months asking if I might be able to donate. If my doctor hadn't set the limit of every 6 months, I'd probably get the call more often :tongue:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

AB+ is a universal receiver, so no one except other AB+ can accept AB+ blood. A waste of storage space since AB+ can receive any blood type. Kind of the opposite of O-, which is the universal donor. I'm O- and they constantly beg for me to donate and will even sometimes give extra swag to O-.

nuz21fi53n09.png

Thanks. I had a feeling it was something like that. I am O+ so not universal but any other + can have my blood AND it is the most common with something like 1/3 of all people being O+. They like my blood too.

Apparently it's much less common in other countries, but in the US it's definitely the most common type.
  • earlnabby
    Options

nuz21fi53n09.png

Apparently it's much less common in other countries, but in the US it's definitely the most common type.

You got me thinking so I googled it. Combining both positive and negative, 63% of the world population has Type O blood compared to just 44% of the US. I couldn't find a breakdown of positive vs. negative for the world.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    AB+ is a universal plasma donor. They want me there all the time. I think the platelets request from me is because I am NOT small LOL and I have a high count. But they prefer my plasma to my platelets these days.