Plateau for over a year

Options

Replies

• cherrylou123
    cherrylou123 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You need to shock your body 😊😊😊.. Maybe you can change the exercise routine that you're doing if you've been doing it for a long time...maybe your body has adapted to that already

Another thing is maybe you can take a break.. Maybe you can eat more carbs for 2 weeks then make it lesser again after 2 weeks.

Congratulations for your great weight lost btw 😊😊😊.. Not all can maintain.. Usually when they lost weight they gain it back after a period of time
  • fluffygoodas
    fluffygoodas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Consider opening up your diary do the wise experienced folks here can give you some concrete feedback. A 200 lb person cannot eat 1000-1300 per day for a year and lost no weight 🤔

My diary is open. Also, consider this, i stayed 293-295 lbs for 12-14 years with no gain or loss eating anything i wanted. I mean ANYTHING. 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • fluffygoodas
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hello!
    I grabbed your January 1 to March 8 logging.
    This ought to be a total of 68 days.

I threw out a 410 Cal, a 360 Cal, a 650 Cal day, and a 770 Cal day. I've reluctantly kept a couple of 800 and 900 Cal days. I would usually throw out anything under 1K cal.

The assumption is that these were incomplete days. If they're not, please start by trying to make sure, as a 200lb woman, that none of your days are under 1200 Cal. If you don't you WILL impact your well being as you're unlikely to be taking in enough nutrients.

A quick comment on your logging? While it is quite likely that you would be able to tighten it considerably, I, also don't see WHEN YOU LOG that tighter logging of the logged days would yield much more than 2-300 Cal extra. Even if I don't believe the 50Cal for an XL double milk at Tim's :wink:

This left us with 40 days logged out of 68. OR LESS THAN 60%. Conversely: you're not logging 40% of the time.

On the days you've logged we have some entries where the macros and calories don't fully match.
    You are showing 1133 Cal intake. Your macros multiply out to 1109 to 1073 Cal.

If you're truly eating that low, as a 200lb woman, you're under-fuelling and making yourself lethargic and unwilling to move around. When was the last time you found yourself tapping your foot to the music? Do you feel cold most of the time?

Anyway. Your protein at 69g a day is low, though not below RDI. Your fat intake at 29g is well below the 0.35g to 0.45g per lb of weight in the healthy weight level range. Heck, 29g don't even go as high as a minimal for a male 0.25g level of fat per lb. Your levels of fat, as logged, could affect your hormones. Furthermore, your fibre at 18g is fairly low for a woman who should probably be aiming for close to 10g more than that a day.

Of course... 40% of your logging doesn't exist.

So <big shrug> if you only know what you do 60% of the time... who knows what's going on?

If the current picture is representative of reality I would start a reverse diet that would ensure I was taking in sufficient nutrients (1g of protein per lb of goal weight in the healthy weight range, 0.45g of fat per same, 27+g fiber) and try to see if I could do this with minimal or no weight gain. After eating more normally for a number of weeks (at least 4-6), then I would evaluate again where I was and decide on how to continue with my weight loss journey.

But, again, I don't know that the current picture is representative of any reality because at a minimum it is missing 40% of your days since January 1.

Look. I get diet fatigue. It is real. You are already enjoying an immense health benefit from your original drop. Given how few people get to the one year mark and then to the three year mark, protecting this initial loss is way more important than pushing further. There is nothing wrong with taking a break. Honestly and truly.

But, as with most other people responding to you, I fully believe that your self-protection circuits are in full avoidance mode and avoiding to religiously logging everything.

It really is NOT A CRIME to be eating more than you think. It is EXTREMELY GOOD, not bad, to be maintaining the loss you've achieved. As mentioned you might even be able to even achieve this maintenance while eating a bit more without a significant weight change from your current level.

Yes, I am waiting for my little disagree button friends; but, long term you can have weight maintenance while pushing your calories up or pushing your calories down to the bottom of a narrow range. What changes, within that narrow caloric range, is your Non Exercise Activity level. Things such as your average body temperature, things such as your unconscious movement, things such as the speed of some of your cellular activity!

If you're truly eating as you've logged, then you need more nutrients before you get sick. But you will only know your true situation if EVERY SINGLE SPOONFUL, SAMPLE, TASTE, anything that goes in your mouth gets logged BEFORE IT MAKES IT IN THERE!

I truly TRY to keep as accurate a log as possible. And yet I've gone back two days later to add things to the log that I had forgotten to log. Because the phone rang. Because I didn't write it down. Because when the cookie jar emptied I had logged 250g less in total than the 1kg the cookie jar came into the house with! :blush:

How often have you gone back to your log to add things that you had forgotten to add? What about cooking oils? Condiments? Spices?

BTW: congrats of going into Tim's and making it out without donuts, scones/tea biscuits, soups or chili... I sort of often lose that battle! :wink:

--first log the other 40% of your days.
    --then look into logging things before you start consuming them
    --then look at your levels and realistically evaluate whether you're eating all the nutrients you should be eating
    --then decide how to move forward, or post again!

This is great. I actually consciously stopped logging everything and skipped some days on purpose. It just seemed overkill. I had a few celebrations in January and February where we stayed in a hotel etc, so i couldn't be as strict. Good thing is i still make "better" choices, but there was treats/some alchohol involved. When i log, i log accurately as possible. I do log my oils and butter. Condiments are rare for me and i have tailored my home cooking to use less butter and oil than i liberally used to use. I think i eased up on not tasting stuff, so you are right, could be that. I indeed agree my nutritional intake is horrible. This is what I don't want to do to myself. In November of 2018 i had a couple of episodes where i had to go to the hospital and they couldn't find anything wrong except anemia and slightly low blood pressure. While my body definitely has been kind to me, i just want to ensure i stay healthy. I still have some small kids at home to take care of. Anyhow, the next couple weeks am logging religiously and hopefully i can just tweak my situation.
    You know funny enough, the tims is pretty accurate. I used to log 60 calories for a 2 milk tea but then its less on the actual site. Tea is 0 and i think its around 20 or calories per shot of 2% milk. Otherwise i drink only unsweetened almond. The other tims temptations don't bother me. I have an old donut phobia from when ppl used to smoke in the shops 🤣 an occasional timbit tho....thanks very much for looking over my stuff!!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a combination of things. You are carrying excess weight you can't shift in the form of loose skin. That just won't go anywhere without surgery. For the rest, it does sound like you are maintaining. I would spend two weeks checking how well you know your portions. Get the individual raw ingredients. Write down what you think they are then weigh them and see how close you are. Double check with packaging that the calorie values you are checking on MFP are correct. I can be way way off in my estimations. It can feel boring weighing everything, but I reckon it's worth the effort to get off the plateau. And very well done on losing so much and maintaining for so long. You are doing a lot of things right!
  • fluffygoodas
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    It sounds like a combination of things. You are carrying excess weight you can't shift in the form of loose skin. That just won't go anywhere without surgery. For the rest, it does sound like you are maintaining. I would spend two weeks checking how well you know your portions. Get the individual raw ingredients. Write down what you think they are then weigh them and see how close you are. Double check with packaging that the calorie values you are checking on MFP are correct. I can be way way off in my estimations. It can feel boring weighing everything, but I reckon it's worth the effort to get off the plateau. And very well done on losing so much and maintaining for so long. You are doing a lot of things right!

Absolutely, thank you!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    You need to shock your body 😊😊😊.. Maybe you can change the exercise routine that you're doing if you've been doing it for a long time...maybe your body has adapted to that already

Another thing is maybe you can take a break.. Maybe you can eat more carbs for 2 weeks then make it lesser again after 2 weeks.

Congratulations for your great weight lost btw 😊😊😊.. Not all can maintain.. Usually when they lost weight they gain it back after a period of time

Hey cherrylou, I’m not going to hit the disagree button but I am going to say that you don’t need to “shock” your body into anything. You also don’t need to eat more carbs then eat less carbs to loose weight. To me that doesn’t sound right at all and I don’t mean to be rude, this kind of misinformation can be confusing because at the end of the day weight loss is calorie in calorie out. Good luck with yr weight loss journey :smile:

Upping carbs temporarily, after dieting, can have a beneficial effect on hunger and satiety hormones though (useful info in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1 ).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    how much of your 200 pounds do you think is the lose skin you have? you say its severe?

It's pretty bad. My arms were very big when i was heavier. I have definate wings unfortunately..my stomach has a lot too, especially after 6 pregnancies at almost 300 lbs. Not sure what skin weighs. Maybe tops 10 lbs? But i honestly do not know. I have loose skin on arms, my sides of my boobs, belly and thighs.

you may be a little low on the 10 pounds based on what you said. and may be closer to 20. (do so research to compare what it is for others based on pictures, etc) why don't you knock 20 pounds off you total weight and use that as your 'real weight' and make your deficit calories against that for fat loss....so 180 pounds.

Loose skin is metabolically active: It burns calories just being there, alive. Of course, knocking 20 pounds off current weight and recalculating calories will result in a lower calorie goal, and a lower calorie goal may result in improved with loss . . . but not because loose skin is somehow irrelevant to calorie needs.

OP: If the loose skin is 1/2"+ folds or rolls, it's probable that it isn't exactly just loose skin yet; it probably still has some subcutaneous fat conspiring with gravity to keep it stretched. If you use some of the above good posts' suggestions to hone in on why you're not losing, and start losing again, that subcutaneous fat should continue to deplete. Loose skin is more likely to be able to start to shrink when it gets down to thin wrinkles, like folds in a medium weight fabric. At that point, it's mostly skin. It still takes quite some time for skin to shrink, though, even if it's willing: Mine kept shrinking at least into year 2 of maintenance at goal weight, and maybe beyond.

The other thing I'd mention is to make sure that you're flexing your arms (especially upper arms) really tight - think like a bodybuilder pose - when you assess your "wings". It's super common for women to misidentify relaxed triceps muscles, which are slack/mobile, as part of their fat or loose skin. If you grab your upper arm with your opposite hand, fingertips close to the upper arm bone, then flex that grabbed arm hard/tight - upper arm above shoulder, arm curled over at elbow and wrist, clenching everything - any upper arm tissue that tightens/firms up in your hand is muscle, not fat/skin.

I'm not saying you have zero upper arm fat or loose skin, just that it may be less than first appears.

I get that this whole weight loss process can be vexing and fatiguing, and feels arduous. Don't give up, and - as you seem willing to do - implement some of the suggestions to see if you can get things moving again.

Wishing you the best!
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    kq1981 wrote: »

Hey cherrylou, I’m not going to hit the disagree button but I am going to say that you don’t need to “shock” your body into anything. You also don’t need to eat more carbs then eat less carbs to loose weight. To me that doesn’t sound right at all and I don’t mean to be rude, this kind of misinformation can be confusing because at the end of the day weight loss is calorie in calorie out. Good luck with yr weight loss journey :smile:

Upping carbs temporarily, after dieting, can have a beneficial effect on hunger and satiety hormones though (useful info in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1 ).

Thanks lietchi. My context was that when I was starting out on MFP, seeing that kind of info didn’t help because I wanted to learn how to log and reduce calories at first, that’s just me personally. Lyle is a wacky dude lol
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,640 Member
    Options
    You know funny enough, the tims is pretty accurate. I used to log 60 calories for a 2 milk tea but then its less on the actual site. Tea is 0 and i think its around 20 or calories per shot of 2% milk.

Tim's web-site lists two shots of milk for an extra large coffee (same size as the tea) at 76Cal. They also don't list the 6 Calories a 24oz coffee adds on its own.

I don't order tea there, but, AFAIK Tim uses a single milk product dispenser (?)

When I used to add milk to my coffee, I ordered my milk a few times on the side (in a separate cup to take to my co-workers at the office :wink: ) at McDonald's and quickly went back home and weighed it. <OK: no I didn't: I just told the assistant manager that I wanted to weigh it and did so at my table, just like I did with their vanilla cones; but I do have a different relationship with my local store's staff! :blush: >
  • fluffygoodas
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You know funny enough, the tims is pretty accurate. I used to log 60 calories for a 2 milk tea but then its less on the actual site. Tea is 0 and i think its around 20 or calories per shot of 2% milk.

Tim's web-site lists two shots of milk for an extra large coffee (same size as the tea) at 76Cal. They also don't list the 6 Calories a 24oz coffee adds on its own.

I don't order tea there, but, AFAIK Tim uses a single milk product dispenser (?)

When I used to add milk to my coffee, I ordered my milk a few times on the side (in a separate cup to take to my co-workers at the office :wink: ) at McDonald's and quickly went back home and weighed it. <OK: no I didn't: I just told the assistant manager that I wanted to weigh it and did so at my table, just like I did with their vanilla cones; but I do have a different relationship with my local store's staff! :blush: >

LMAO! That is wayyyy too much for me. Tea is zero. If its 6 cals i will live. I added the milk on the app and the medium is 30, large 44 and xl 52. If its 76 let's pray i have somehow breathed deeply and burned the extra 16-24 sneaky calories i have been lying to myself about🤣 I promise there is no Tim' s sabotage but i need my steeped tea in the morning. Wait for it....i had a 2nd medium my daughter brought me this evening as bribe to use my car *shocked face*

• fluffygoodas
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    how much of your 200 pounds do you think is the lose skin you have? you say its severe?

It's pretty bad. My arms were very big when i was heavier. I have definate wings unfortunately..my stomach has a lot too, especially after 6 pregnancies at almost 300 lbs. Not sure what skin weighs. Maybe tops 10 lbs? But i honestly do not know. I have loose skin on arms, my sides of my boobs, belly and thighs.

you may be a little low on the 10 pounds based on what you said. and may be closer to 20. (do so research to compare what it is for others based on pictures, etc) why don't you knock 20 pounds off you total weight and use that as your 'real weight' and make your deficit calories against that for fat loss....so 180 pounds.

Loose skin is metabolically active: It burns calories just being there, alive. Of course, knocking 20 pounds off current weight and recalculating calories will result in a lower calorie goal, and a lower calorie goal may result in improved with loss . . . but not because loose skin is somehow irrelevant to calorie needs.

OP: If the loose skin is 1/2"+ folds or rolls, it's probable that it isn't exactly just loose skin yet; it probably still has some subcutaneous fat conspiring with gravity to keep it stretched. If you use some of the above good posts' suggestions to hone in on why you're not losing, and start losing again, that subcutaneous fat should continue to deplete. Loose skin is more likely to be able to start to shrink when it gets down to thin wrinkles, like folds in a medium weight fabric. At that point, it's mostly skin. It still takes quite some time for skin to shrink, though, even if it's willing: Mine kept shrinking at least into year 2 of maintenance at goal weight, and maybe beyond.

The other thing I'd mention is to make sure that you're flexing your arms (especially upper arms) really tight - think like a bodybuilder pose - when you assess your "wings". It's super common for women to misidentify relaxed triceps muscles, which are slack/mobile, as part of their fat or loose skin. If you grab your upper arm with your opposite hand, fingertips close to the upper arm bone, then flex that grabbed arm hard/tight - upper arm above shoulder, arm curled over at elbow and wrist, clenching everything - any upper arm tissue that tightens/firms up in your hand is muscle, not fat/skin.

I'm not saying you have zero upper arm fat or loose skin, just that it may be less than first appears.

I get that this whole weight loss process can be vexing and fatiguing, and feels arduous. Don't give up, and - as you seem willing to do - implement some of the suggestions to see if you can get things moving again.

Wishing you the best!

Thanks a lot for the encouraging words
    Oh how i wish it was muscles!!!! My arm skin hangs about 1.5 inches down and is wrinkled now. As are my sad boobs. So so sad. My stomach probably has fat in it, but when laying down my hip bones are saying hello but in a high waisterd tight jeans i can fold my stomach lengthwise on either side of my bellybutton. Hopefully my husband doesn't leave me for a tight skinned woman LOL!
    Let's not address my nice little piece of neck skin..so attractive! Right there jiggling under my chin. Charming.

I can't lose much more, rather want to know i have the ability to if i want to. Kinda competitive with myself. Thanks for your input!