Stocking up on what??

Options

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    We got extra rice and dry beans, large pack of pasta and sauce, canned chicken, shin ramyun, can soup, pantry soymilk, froz veg and fruit, a few froz dinners, Froz chicken thighs, gr beef, extra water and sparkling flavored water. Mostly things we eat anyway, but extra non perishables.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just a bit of common sense - and obviously listen to trumpety trumps spouting his wisdom to the world...
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We stocked piled up on food for all of our farm animals with minimal food for ourselves. The largest concern I have as a small hobby farmers is that Covid can spread to all your animals so keeping them healthy is just as important as our health.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    We stocked piled up on food for all of our farm animals with minimal food for ourselves. The largest concern I have as a small hobby farmers is that Covid can spread to all your animals so keeping them healthy is just as important as our health.

Has it been determined which animals will actually get sick from it? Apparently cats and dogs can carry and transmit the virus, but do not get any symptoms. I hadn't heard anything about farm animals.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    We are empty nesters so have gotten into the habit of shopping daily for fresh food. I stocked up more like for a week with some freezer chicken etc so I can go a week without hitting the zoo. And of course some Vino!

Also, there have been comments out there on various sites (google and find one you trust) that if you do think you have Covid19 and or are tested and do, that Ibuprofin and related NSAIDs in the same class can potentially aggravate the symptoms. They suggested Tylenol type products for fever reduction. Unfortunately, there is a lot of debate and no definitive answer so of course, consult your doctor. Something to do with the suppressive side effect that it has on your immune system, at a time when it needs to 1000% to fight the virus.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    xe3um5nr4eyq.jpeg
    0hjeif1td17j.jpeg
    5gky7a4mzcj8.jpeg
    cnrfor99r4j4.jpeg
    oronen1djgay.jpeg
    xvgrimzx8b0e.jpeg
    Cold bath y shower can lessen temps too.

President new announcement of USA Guidelines to follow (UK announced theirs too )
    https://youtu.be/R0TLUR802P8
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Just like others, got canned foods, dry foods, frozen veggies and fruits just in case. We already had frozen turkey, ground turkey and chicken so I got salmon.
    It’s all the things we eat anyway so we’re going to be okay.
    I’ll be in trouble when fresh produce is hard to get. I pretty much live off of salads.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I’d say that at any given point I have enough store cupboard stuff around that I could feed my family with some ingenuity and invention for a good three months - yes, we’d lack fresh goods but unless you have no fridge or freezer and usually shop on a day to day basis I think that stockpiling is unnecessary.

Ok, so you may have to eat a few odd combinations towards the end of such a period but most people are highly unlikely to starve to death during any reasonable length of self isolation.

Panic is what creates shortages and empty shelves. The world will not end if you don’t have your ‘favourite’ to hand. Necessity is the mother of invention! 😂

👏👏👏
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I didn't go overboard. I usually have enough groceries for 2 weeks (buy an extra can of beans here, some trash bags there...) so I just went for a grocery run to double-down on essentials.

Probably the main change was buying things to make bread with (since bread doesn't last long with us) and extra tea/coffee in case we get stuck in the house.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am usually stocked up on ingredients I need to make my most often prepared meals and ingredients for some shelf stable meal, but the past week, I added some salty snacks, the ingredients for brownies, and some household supplies as well as a few extra of items I keep regularly such as an extra package of flour.

I was at Costco several weeks ago when the first reports of this were coming out of China and before everything here went crazy. I purchased my annual enormous bale of TP just by happenstance, not for coronavirus reasons. I did buy some disinfecting wipes at that time just because the virus was on my mind. I never thought we would be in the near lock down state we're in now.

I'm kind of planning to stay in as much as possible for the next several weeks. Today, I made my final grocery store run to pick up an extra loaf of bread, a dozen eggs and some fresh vegetables/greens. Yesterday, I stopped by my favorite cafe/bakery and bought a bunch of muffins to freeze. They were doing takeout only and the usually packed place was empty. I just wanted to support them by spending a little money there before my personal lockdown.

Basically, I'm stocked up on coffee, oatmeal, eggs and bread for breakfast, plus toaster waffles for a treat. For lunches and dinners, I have frozen vegetables, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, citrus, canned tuna and chicken, frozen chicken, fish and beef, canned and dried beans, canned tomato products, salsa, a wide variety of dried herbs and spices, rice, pasta, a few cans of soup, cheeses, half and half, and I froze some milk in small containers since I don't use it often, but I don't want to have to run to the store if I want some.

I would think what you stock depends on what you like to eat.

I'm planning to make cajun chicken, cabbage pancakes, tomato & spinach pasta, sesame soy chicken, dragon noodles, coconut curry lentils, burrito bowls, Spanish chickpeas, tuna casserole, nicoise salad, a variety of different soups, and a whole lot of other stuff. Also brownies and possibly a lemon meringue pie.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    LenGray wrote: »
    I didn't go overboard. I usually have enough groceries for 2 weeks (buy an extra can of beans here, some trash bags there...) so I just went for a grocery run to double-down on essentials.

Probably the main change was buying things to make bread with (since bread doesn't last long with us) and extra tea/coffee in case we get stuck in the house.

I'm also baking bread soon for the first time and it does not look easy.

Look up the "no kneed bread". Stupid easy.

Thank you, I need super easy!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Or try this bread. It's amazing bread and fast. He has a video to see how it's done too.

Ultimate Introduction to No-Knead “Turbo” Bread… ready to bake in 2-1/2 hours
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »

Or try this bread. It's amazing bread and fast. He has a video to see how it's done too.

Ultimate Introduction to No-Knead “Turbo” Bread… ready to bake in 2-1/2 hours

Thank you for this! I'm going to do a little homework before rushing out to buy ingredients. This should help.