Stocking up on what??

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    @PrimaryAdjunctOfUnimatrix1010 Never even thought of pizza dough, thank you!
  • I think I'll be trying these myself now. :smiley:
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,168 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »

<snip>
    I went to Walmart down the road and there was no yeast, not one pack. But I did get two bags of flour, a bottle of honey and some sugar and baking soda. As soon as opportunity knocks and there is yeast in stock, I'm picking up quite a bit of yeast to avoid being "bread less" in the future.
    </snip>

You can "make your own" yeast. Aside from making sourdough starter (slower bread), you can cultivate yeast and make a starter from beer if it's unfiltered. There's yeast in there, especially if it's bottle conditioned. Sometimes they pasteurize the bottles when they're done, but I think it's not very often. You could also almost certainly culture from a bottle of sparkling wine if it was carbonated with the methode champenoise (bottle carbonated rather than the charmat method of bulk carbonating). They often use a different strain of yeast to bottle condition than to ferment, but they are all Saccharomyces cerevisiae. This is the same species you use for baking, although bread yeast ~tends~ to be faster acting. You could probably actually make a starter from any unfiltered wine.

Boil some water and just a little sugar, and let it cool to body temperature. Add the sediment from the bottom of a decanted bottle of bottle-conditioned beer (or other source). Make a sponge with some water, flour, and a little sugar. When the original liquid starter starts to bubble, add it to the sponge, then let it sit for a little while before using it for bread. You can keep your starter going in the fridge; you can pull a little off each time and make some new starter.

Likely you will still end up with a sour starter, but that makes great bread.

Good luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    My experience in E London is that the ethnic grocers are still stocked. Went to the Japanese grocer yesterday which was fully stocked. Also the Bangladeshi supermarket was fully stocked and even still had facial tissues and potatoes. The Italian grocer was running low in the refrigerated section but still had pasta, tinned tomatoes and tinned beans.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Tesco in Woolwich in London was a truly depressing experience. I’m not going there again any time soon. Local shops for me. I’m just buying things as I run out of them. It’s what I usually do anyway. It’s hard not to get caught up I. The panic buying mentality
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    If you have beer and need yeast you can use a warm beer for the water and yeast in bread.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    My experience in E London is that the ethnic grocers are still stocked. Went to the Japanese grocer yesterday which was fully stocked. Also the Bangladeshi supermarket was fully stocked and even still had facial tissues and potatoes. The Italian grocer was running low in the refrigerated section but still had pasta, tinned tomatoes and tinned beans.

The ethnic supermarkets here in NYC are just as bare as the other ones.
  • DevonKaroline
    DevonKaroline Posts: 19 Member
    For food, I stocked up on canned chicken/tuna, eggs, egg whites, a wide variety of frozen veg, Tyson frozen chicken breasts, fruit, rice, rice cakes, cereal, chocolate...I think that's it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,423 Member
    I have a three week supply of cottage cheese and a couple of weeks of yogurt. I know I’ll run out of fresh fruit and veg soon, and can (unhappily) manage without, but I’d be devastated to run out of those two.

The old me would have stocked up on sacks and sacks of chocolate, Oreos, Pepperidge farm cookies, salt & vinegar chips, cheez-its and ice cream. And a big old cake from the bakery, with a side of cinnamon twist donuts and several boxes of Entemmans chocolate frosted chocolate donuts. And it would have all have been gobbled up in three or four days, and I’d have been literally climbing the walls to get more.

Thank the good lord I got that under control in time.

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Stocking up on easy recipes with least ingredients to stretch what I find
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I bought a 10 pound bag of Basmati from Amazon. I can eat any protein with rice and sesame oil and crushed red pepper.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I did it! I baked my first ever loaf of bread from scratch! I did cut my × too deep, but trial and error first time and I won't do it again so deep. It has a nice flavor and I am very pleased.

@BarbaraHelen2013 I used apple cider vinegar in milk. Thank you for all suggestions!

@PrimaryAdjunctOfUnimatrix1010 Thank you for the recipe, which is what I used.

@vollkornbloedchen Pancakes are a definite, thank you!

@just_Tomek Thank you!
    5dhmtseam8t2.jpg

And I made homemade pasta today, and it was shockingly easy and fun! rmzrunvzcvj7.jpg

Thanks for the clothes hangar idea. I've only made pasta from scratch a couple of times, and I've just put a clean towel over a chair back. And your hand-cut pasta looks just like mine!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Husband brought home 2 loaves of bread and yeast packets today.

@PrimaryAdjunctOfUnimatrix1010 Thank you for this. I love buttermilk biscuits. Next attempt is pancakes tomorrow evening, so easy and one of my favorites.

LoveyChar, if you come across a larger amount of yeast sometime and want to keep making bread please remember this tip and that is that I always keep my instant yeast in the freezer. It keeps for a very very long time. Just use it straight out of the freezer and put it straight back in ASAP. It's handy to have around.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Didn't stock up on anything for covid Stay#Home -- just eating what's in the house, and doing some carryout to support local businesses, which also helps stave off the yen to go grocery shopping. I did have quite a bit of nonperishables and frozen stuff on hand, as I like to be prepared for bad winter weather, of which we had none this winter. Tonight I had the last of the tofu (sadness) pan-fried with some fresh spinach which has held up amazingly well for being in the house 13 days already, and I tossed in some dry-roasted peanuts (I buy them dry-roasted for stir fries and the like because if I'm not as tempted to snack on them as I am with cocktail peanuts). Running low on rice vinegar, but cider vinegar will make a reasonable substitute when it's gone.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Since we're stocking up on similar stuff I thought you could commiserate on this, my microwave broke last week and can opener broke today when making breakfast. You don't realize how much you use things like diced tomatoes in the soup I was planning to make or the can of beans I was trying to open (have a ton of dried on hand but wanted something faster). Thank goodness I have an Instant Pot but it's still a pain to reheat my batches of oatmeal, beans, leftovers, and heat water in a teapot on the stove when the microwave's so much faster!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    I'm not stocking up. It's unfair, and quite honestly a *kitten* move towards people who are less mobile than me and can't just go to several shops, or need to order online. I just try to plan a bit more ahead, thus instead of doing groceries twice per week and a few more supermarket stops for things that I forgot or suddenly urge I try to go there not more than once.

That's what I've basically done too. Planning ahead a bit in case things get worse or we get sick. :( I did buy some extra soups because I figure if we do become ill, we're not going to be feeling like regular food anyways. I haven't been able to buy chicken breasts and have just pulled the last bag out of the freezer to use, so will have to adapt. I used to buy it all the time on sale so had quite a supply on hand. No more.

A lot of this whole virus thing makes me rethink how selfish I am, and others too. It's making me realize there is a major difference between needs and wants. Most of us are so used to getting what we want, we're shocked when we can't. I think we have a difficult time adjusting our minds to buying what we absolutely need instead.

My 87 yo neighbor shared with me yesterday, when he was almost in high school, they used the pages of a Sears catalog out in their 3-hole outhouse. Just think how good most of us have it in modern times? How in heaven's name would we survive having to grow up back then?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Oh great, @ReenieHJ WE think it's a good idea to not stockpile and to not be selfish *kitten*, and someone apparently thinks being selfish is the way to go here. There's always someone :(