Why “Clean Eating” is a Myth by Armi Legge

Options
14567810»

Replies

• misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. My take on "clean": I think that the body would be best served eating what is found only in nature, We didn't eat processed foods when we were hunters and gathers. We ate meat, berries, fruits and vegetables and nuts. We drank only water. I doubt there were many overweight folks back then.

I'm betting we didn't live that long then either, or have as much fun!

We live longer now because of medicine and bacteria control. Not because of our food. Cancer and diabetes probably didn't exist back in time when we were hunters and gatherers. Yet, medicine keeps us alive longer when we have those diseases, and cleanliness protects us from infectious diseases.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. My take on "clean": I think that the body would be best served eating what is found only in nature, We didn't eat processed foods when we were hunters and gathers. We ate meat, berries, fruits and vegetables and nuts. We drank only water. I doubt there were many overweight folks back then.

I'm betting we didn't live that long then either, or have as much fun!

We live longer now because of medicine and bacteria control. Not because of our food. Cancer and diabetes probably didn't exist back in time when we were hunters and gatherers. Yet, medicine keeps us alive longer when we have those diseases, and cleanliness protects us from infectious diseases.

You think thats the only reason?
    People overeat and consume to a point of increased insulin resistance and repeated inflammation. Cancer is a multi-hit theory along with heart disease. The longer you live the more things you are exposed to. We are also bigger(not just fatter) than people in the past. There is more to it than just simply medicine.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It is a myth that our ancestors ate "clean". The meat people were eating even just 200 years ago (never mind 2000 years ago) was of poor quality, slowly turning into (essentially) carrion the longer it took to consume the animal. Generic CAFO meat at a generic American supermarket is generally of higher quality than what Henry VIII would have been served. Berries and nuts would have been eaten (literally) dirty, and in the case of fruits, many would have been in some state of fermentation (ie decomposition) before being eaten. The means to clean cookware was minimal, utensils were rudimentary, or consisted of dirty fingers, meaning everything was cooked and eaten in a perpetual state of dirtiness.

Etc etc etc.

Human culinary history is an exercise in making up for the dubious quality of the ingredients, a situation we have only recently overcome.

We are omnivores and hugely adaptable.

It's pretty much all good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It is a myth that our ancestors ate "clean". The meat people were eating even just 200 years ago (never mind 2000 years ago) was of poor quality, slowly turning into (essentially) carrion the longer it took to consume the animal. Generic CAFO meat at a generic American supermarket is generally of higher quality than what Henry VIII would have been served. Berries and nuts would have been eaten (literally) dirty, and in the case of fruits, many would have been in some state of fermentation (ie decomposition) before being eaten. The means to clean cookware was minimal, utensils were rudimentary, or consisted of dirty fingers, meaning everything was cooked and eaten in a perpetual state of dirtiness.

Etc etc etc.

Human culinary history is an exercise in making up for the dubious quality of the ingredients, a situation we have only recently overcome.

Well, I can't speak for everyone but cleanliness isn't really part of my definition of "clean eating".
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Etc etc etc.

Well, I can't speak for everyone but cleanliness isn't really part of my definition of "clean eating".

Yep. That is either one fine piece of trolling or, *shudder*

Never mind . . .
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Etc etc etc.

Yep. That is either one fine piece of trolling or, *shudder*

Never mind . . .
    Based on his other posts I don't think he's trolling. Just doesn't know.
    This is probably the closest to my definition of "clean eating".
    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/real-food-defined-a-k-a-the-rules/
    Granted, I never called it "clean eating" til I read it on here.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Yes, I am well aware of that, and it's part of what's missing from the definition. "Dirty" food has all kinds nasty particulate on it that should be of greater concern than the GRAS filler material added to processed foods, and cross contamination across cooking surfaces is a serious matter when you're boiling the toxicity out of one ingredient and then cooking something else in the same pot.

But we have a definitional blind spot there, and that's cool.

The basic point remains - we evolved eating poor quality food, "clean eating" is wholly unnecessary.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yes, I am well aware of that, and it's part of what's missing from the definition. "Dirty" food has all kinds nasty particulate on it that should be of greater concern than the GRAS filler material added to processed foods, and cross contamination across cooking surfaces is a serious matter when you're boiling the toxicity out of one ingredient and then cooking something else in the same pot.

But we have a definitional blind spot there, and that's cool.

The basic point remains - we evolved eating poor quality food, "clean eating" is wholly unnecessary.
    We didn't evolve eating food like substances made by chemists, who often then turn around and say oops and I don't need to to survive, so I'll pass. As much as I can.
    But thanks for clarifying that you understood. Sorry I misunderstood you! cheers
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Armi has posted a follow up to this article "Which is Better: Clean Eating or If-It-Fits-Your-Macros?" in case anyone is interested.

http://impruvism.com/clean-eating-iifym/
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I haven't been sick once in the last two years... coincidentally, I switched to unprocessed foods (i.e. paleo) two years ago.

I haven't been sick once in the last 10 years. I eat what I want.

Ditto.

And I rely on a lot of processed/prepared foods because a) I hate cooking and prefer to spend a minimal amount of time and effort on the chore and b) I cook for one, I'd end up with a helluva lot of leftover stuff that I'd be eating day after day if I tried to do it all "from scratch".
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Does anyone know of any long term studies that actually demonstrate that the diet approach Armi Legge recommends sufficiently motivates dieters enough to stick with the plan and see results?
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Dude, I wash my food religiously with soap and water before I prepare it. Clean eating is no myth.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Does anyone know of any long term studies that actually demonstrate that the diet approach Armi Legge recommends sufficiently motivates dieters enough to stick with the plan and see results?
    Given that he's about 22? I'm guessing no. Is he repeating something someone else has said? Perhaps.

I would bet that his approach will (time will tell, of course) have the same long term success that other diets have had.

ALL diets/lifestyles/journeys/etc. have to be something you do almost every day, day after day in order for the weight to stay off. Doesn't matter what we call them, or how we formulate them.

And as I've said before: we each have to figure out WHAT WORKS FOR US.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Yeah I'm not expecting that he is doing his own research, but since he claims to be all about the science with all the references, I'd like to know if his recommendations have been tested for long term efficacy as opposed to the typical weeks long studies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Yeah I'm not expecting that he is doing his own research, but since he claims to be all about the science with all the references, I'd like to know if his recommendations have been tested for long term efficacy as opposed to the typical weeks long studies.
    agreed.
    If you find something to suggest that "not dieting" and "just counting calories" and "iffym" has a better long term success rate than "dieting" I'd be super interested.
    And if you find something that shows that "clean eating" offers no 30, 40, 50 year advantage over the SAD (standard American diet), I'd really like to see that as well.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I just ate a half dozen donuts! YUM! u mad bro?

I'd give an armi and a legge for a donut right about now.

I'll show myself out=======>
  • bound4beauty
    Options

First, Armi is 18. Second he doesn't perform his own experiments if that's what you're asking but he does all of his own research. And I can guarantee you that despite his age, he has spent the last few years immersing himself in reading study after study, interviewing doctors and scientists and learning everything he can about how to be a fit, healthy person.

As far as sustainability, what Armi proposes is a balanced approach that incorporates healthy food but leaves room for food you really like too. He advocates not going on diets where you eliminate entire food groups or relies on pills, potions or voodoo magic. And yes, that is sustainable. The longest running study on weight loss and maintenance shows us that counting calories and moderate exercise works.

I don't understand your point and I don't know what article some of you people read because no where does he say that you should eat nothing but junk as long as you count calories. Maybe you should read his follow up piece.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

First, Armi is 18. Second he doesn't perform his own experiments if that's what you're asking but he does all of his own research. And I can guarantee you that despite his age, he has spent the last few years immersing himself in reading study after study, interviewing doctors and scientists and learning everything he can about how to be a fit, healthy person.

As far as sustainability, what Armi proposes is a balanced approach that incorporates healthy food but leaves room for food you really like too. He advocates not going on diets where you eliminate entire food groups or relies on pills, potions or voodoo magic. And yes, that is sustainable. The longest running study on weight loss and maintenance shows us that counting calories and moderate exercise works.

I don't understand your point and I don't know what article some of you people read because no where does he say that you should eat nothing but junk as long as you count calories. Maybe you should read his follow up piece.

Strong fangirl.

he is recycling information that has been spread on other sites and articles. I am not hating on him but you seem a little too obsessive over an 18 year old boy
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Strong fangirl.

he is recycling information that has been spread on other sites and articles. I am not hating on him but you seem a little too obsessive over an 18 year old boy

Your implication is ridiculous but I'll let it go. I enjoy his articles and I enjoy listening to his podcasts. We're friends on facebook so yes, I guess you can say I'm a fan. I like the fact that he does all the leg work to find articles that are interesting to me. I defend him because some posters seem to think he's an easy target because he's young and has an unusual name.

I read his story and his struggles to overcome an eating addiction and I was impressed with him. Why does that even matter? There are lots of smart people in the world. Some are young, some are old, some are formally educated and some are just really great critical thinkers. Armi does his homework and disseminates information in a way that doesn't make my head hurt.

I think most of us on this site that are serious about learning are fans of one or more bloggers, trainers, etc...Very few have anything really original to say. It's all been said before and just repackaged in different ways.
  • racerx1
    racerx1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We need meat and saturated fats to be healthy