Why “Clean Eating” is a Myth by Armi Legge

Options

Replies

• lauraleighsm
    Options
    If the great being in the sky didn't want us to eat beef then why did he make cows so slow and tasty? I'll take my beef and pork in moderation, you can eat your nuts and berries and enjoy your diverticulitis.......

Who said anything about not eating beef? I eat grassfed beef, a lot.
  • hazeldixon89
    hazeldixon89 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think if you pay attention to how much you are eating and make sure you dont overdo it, everything in moderation is the best way to go. Swapping out things like rice for brown rice, and pasta for whole pasta most of the time is obviously a good idea, but I wouldnt say never having any of those things is better. I plan on having some ´unhealthy´ things regularly and I wont feel bad about it. Thanks for the article, seems he´s talking common sense
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    The author says: "There’s no way to define clean eating, which means there’s no way to measure or quantify what effect this concept might have on your health. There’s also no way to objectively compare a “clean diet” to other diets."

Essentially, "clean eating" means different things to different people. So why not LET IT mean different things to different people.

... We're running low on efficient ways to describe the difference between living up to the standards of the eating plan we believe is healthy vs. ignoring those standards.
    I read this whole thread. I never thought specifically about what the term "clean eating" meant to anyone but myself. It was good for me to broaden my horizon today. I often use "clean eating" in conversation realizing the actual meaning to me may be different to you, as with many terms we all use. That's okay. Take what you like from any article or post, and leave the rest.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Who is Armi Legge and what is his educational background? I've looked at his website and while he looks confident I don't see a biography indicating whether or not he is an M.D. , Ph.d. or has any qualifications.

I may have missed it!
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Who is Armi Legge and what is his educational background? I've looked at his website and while he looks confident I don't see a biography indicating whether or not he is an M.D. , Ph.d. or has any qualifications.

I may have missed it!

lol. Yeah, you definitely missed it. .
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    Okay, then, help me out here...

He's a blogger and triathlete and he works for some blog called Bulletproof Executive, so what are his educational credentials?

Google is an awesome thing: Looks like he's all of 17.
  • highervibes
    Options

He's a blogger and triathlete and he works for some blog called Bulletproof Executive, so what are his educational credentials?

I think he is young, not sure but maybe 19? Anyway, I don't rely on experts to tell me I need to wipe my *kitten* after I take a crap so I don't rely on them to tell me how or what to eat either. His statements are referenced in the footnotes. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you except you don't need to be 50 and have a phd to have common sense.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yes, he's a blogger and a coach.
    I've not heard of him having any credentials.
    He makes some interesting points.
    And yet, I'll keep eating to fuel my body.
    I'll strive to keep the highly processed foods to a minimum (and won't play semantics with that term. I know what I mean by it. I know what food like substances I don't want in my body).
    And Armi can eat the way he wants. I suspect he eats pretty healthy. Whatever he calls it.
    Even if he doesn't, he's young and can get away with it for a while.
    cheers
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    Most 19 year boys I know know everything....:happy:
  • highervibes
    Options

Most that I know don't but that doesn't mean he's not bang on with respect to the subject we're discussing. I don't know where he stands on other issues, so I can't comment on whether or not he knows everything but I won't ignore solid advice no matter how or where I happen across it.
  • IshaAnderson18
    IshaAnderson18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just commenting to read everyones hilarious arguments. What if everyone just ate what they wanted instead of trying to convince everyone to eat like them?

PS. Proud IIFYM'er.
  • highervibes
    Options
    Just commenting to read everyones hilarious arguments. What if everyone just ate what they wanted instead of trying to convince everyone to eat like them?

PS. Proud IIFYM'er.

ftw
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

PS. Proud IIFYM'er.
    There would be precious few threads on here.:flowerforyou:

PS: I eat what I want and armi would label me as...I think "hippie".
    But then I don't really put a lot of stock in reductionist labels.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options

Most that I know don't but that doesn't mean he's not bang on with respect to the subject we're discussing. I don't know where he stands on other issues, so I can't comment on whether or not he knows everything but I won't ignore solid advice no matter how or where I happen across it.

What makes this solid advice?
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,370 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. My take on "clean": I think that the body would be best served eating what is found only in nature, We didn't eat processed foods when we were hunters and gathers. We ate meat, berries, fruits and vegetables and nuts. We drank only water. I doubt there were many overweight folks back then. That being said, we live in a different time, one with cake and mac and cheese and all and it's delicious, so I won't stop eating it. But that stuff should not be primary in our diet and for a lot of people it is, and there you have the basis for a lot of health problems. Everything in moderation, balanced diet will always be best in my opinion.
    Well said! and I agree! There was less cancer and many other sickness never heard of and I feel related to what we are putting in our bodies. I am not good at it yet but my goal is to eat cleanly most days of the week. It will help me lose and control my weight and make me healthier too.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    As far as health goes an apple is better for you then candy, a bowl of veggies is better than fries ect you can do anything you want in moderation but follow the food pyrimid at least try to do your best
  • IshaAnderson18
    Options
    Just my opinion. But if you are truly doing IIFYM and have calculated your macros properly then chances are you are consuming mostly 'clean' foods. I don't think it's possible to hit cutting macros, or even bulking macros for that matter, without having a base of foods that are 'clean'. Just because I eat chocolate, pop tarts and whatever the **** else I feel like occasionally doesn't mean I don't have a grasp on nutrition or what my body wants. I respect clean eaters and people who follow other forms of eating, but I don't want to eat like that. So I won't.
  • IshaAnderson18
    Options
    Just my opinion. But if you are truly doing IIFYM and have calculated your macros properly then chances are you are consuming mostly 'clean' foods. I don't think it's possible to hit cutting macros, or even bulking macros for that matter, without having a base of foods that are 'clean'. Just because I eat chocolate, pop tarts and whatever the **** else I feel like occasionally doesn't mean I don't have a grasp on nutrition or what my body wants. I respect clean eaters and people who follow other forms of eating, but I don't want to eat like that. So I won't.
    Um, MFP just *'d my swear words!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Armi Legge. He's so smart, so real and gets to the heart of things without making you want to pull your hair out. He's made me a critical thinker in an area where I've always let my emotions rule over common sense. Being desperately unhappy with your weight will do that. Being desperate for years will make you grab on to every new weight loss gimmick and gizmo that comes down the pike. Empower yourself with knowledge, backed up by science and turn a deaf ear to all the nonsensical noise. And for goodness sake, read Armi's blog. You'll learn a thing or two!

http://impruvism.com/clean-eating/

I know this is a controversial topic and I fully expect a debate from all sides. But,the only way to make an educated decision is listen, learn and then make up your mind.

started thinking he is a moron when he said bodybuilders dont drink milk