Besides yourself and a mirror, who gave you a wake-up call?

Options
I know for some people just looking in the mirror is enough to give you a kick in the rear to get in shape. But did it take someone else telling you that you were unhealthy? Like a family member, doctor, friend, etc? I remember looking at myself one day and thinking what happened to me...

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Nope. The only time I get comments is when I'm actually doing something to better myself. Seems people not into fitness/ healthier eating don't care what you do/eat until it's something different from what they do/eat... then it's negative. Whatevs.:yawn:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    During my pregnancy, I was constantly scrutinized by my OB about my excessive weight gain during. After I had my son, I decided enough was enough. I was tired of making excuses for my years of bad eating habits.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Took a picture with an ex NFL lineman and I looked like his mini-me. That was the wakeup call I needed.

179114_10151103831390126_1677890115_n.jpg
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,948 Member
    Options
    It was the mirror for me, and I lost a backyard hold your breath swimming lengths contest, which I've never lost that did it.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Other than the scale, my husband. He had been overweight for quite some time while I was mostly on the thin side. He finally committed to getting healthy & losing weight/gaining muscle. Of course that would be when I started gaining lol After over a year of watching him lose & get stronger, I told him one day, I want to do it with you & he was thrilled
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    The mirror, and my Brother ....And I'm glad he said something, it was just the wake up I needed to get off my duff and do something about it ...
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I saw pictures from our family vacation to California and that was when I realized, "Wow. When did I get so big?" I still cringe when I see those pictures and I can barely recognize myself.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    How often do people see someone commenting on someones weight and then when they become overweight they don't want to hear it?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I looked normal and my bloodwork was all good, so nobody said anything. And I was able to perform at a relatively high level (20+ pull ups, 100+ push ups, etc), so I was able to rationalize. Unfortunately, "normal" looks like crap.

Then one day I tried MFP and determined that my caloric intake was significantly higher than I expected, so I modified intake. Fat melted off and I look good again.
  • mrsgrimsdale
    Options
    For me the catalyst was dieting on a juice diet making me lose so much muscle that I could barely get myself stood up from out of my chair. That's when I realised that starving myself was just not going to work, I have limited my calories to 1000 or less/day for so many years it has been really hard trying to eat the calories advised on this site. I realise I might gain before I lose but I would end up bed bound if I kept on the way I was going. If I had never seen the TV program extolling the wonders of a fasting juice diet I might have carried on, on my downward journey so I am glad I got worse, it helped me find this site and start understanding what I need to do to turn things round.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    When i realized that what i thought was looking good was just look heavy. Power lifting was my life until a disability changed my life. I got into sculpting my body instead and noticed i liked it much better. I always dreamed of abs on my body.
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Pictures, for sure. More so than the mirror. But also my physical abilities--- things that make me breathe hard.... that shouldn't. I used to be a dancer so I look at today's dancers......and I absolutely hate what I did to myself. :(
  • AbstractAsterism
    AbstractAsterism Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My husband and my son (currently 2), honestly. Not going into deep details but the hubby sat me down and told me he's scared I won't live to see my son graduate high school the way I am now.
  • cassienoe
    cassienoe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The camera. I took a photo with my cousin on my birthday and went "wow is that how I really look?!" Put batteries in the scale and realized I needed to get it in check. To be fair, I was still in a healthy weight so no one else felt the need to say anything.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I know for some people just looking in the mirror is enough to give you a kick in the rear to get in shape. But did it take someone else telling you that you were unhealthy? Like a family member, doctor, friend, etc? I remember looking at myself one day and thinking what happened to me...

The floor.

LOL no seriously...just the way I felt (sluggish) my clothes...not fitting properly.... not being able to sit on a one-seated chair
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    For me it was going with my 16 year old daughter to her yearly doctor's appointment and watching her cry because she was nearing 200 pounds. We signed up for a trainer for the entire family 1 week later.
  • krystalraven
    Options
    I was at a coffee morning and there was a little girl about four years old handing out cupcakes that she'd made. When she got to me she said 'You're not getting a cake because you look like you've eaten five already'. I laughed and then she asked me 'Why are you so fatty?' Haha! That was my wake-up call!!! Haha!!!
  • Punkin7411
    Punkin7411 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Photos taken during a missions trip finally did it for me!!!
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old son told me he worries that something bad is going to happen to me because of my size. I realized I'd been selfish and self serving to that point by not taking care of myself. He deserved better and so did I, so I did something about it. I'm not doing something either. No quitting. No stopping. I will hit my goal. I can. I will. I must.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I took a class at the same school, but about 15 years apart. (I took a break from my degree to have a career!)

When I got back, one of the professors I remembered as pretty hefty . . . was skinny! And wearing pretty snazzy clothes, for that matter. And it was one of the professors I had significant disagreements with.

And it kinda kicked my butt. I said, "If HE can do it -- so can I. Shoot!"

So I did.