Besides yourself and a mirror, who gave you a wake-up call?

Options

Replies

• malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Photo from a work x-mas party. I didn't realize it was me. I keep it on my phone as a reminder of who I don't want to be.
  • griffith5150
    Options
    Being stuck in ER department when I was 34, thinking I was having a heart attack with the EKG scans all that. Only to find out I was severely anemic due to my PCOS and than having to get a blood xfusion to be allowed out of ER. If that didn't open my eyes it was the ER dr looking at me, saying if I do something about my health, he will be seeing me more often and he didn't want to see me leaving on a gurney with a sheet covered over me. That scared the *kitten* out of me... Lost over a 100 lbs so far and trying to work on the remaining 40-50
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's my buddy Alex. He gave me a ticket to a patriots game. Our seats were in the 400 section of Gillette stadium. This is the TIPPY TOP of the TIPPY TOP of the stadium. We had to walk up ramps, not stairs, to our seats. I was so out of shape I had to keep stopping to catch my breath, just walking up ramps. We were late for kickoff and I felt like I was going to die. That day my probably doomed to fail New Years resolution turned into a life changing event. I am in excellent shape now, I will be running a half marathon in the fall and earlier this summer I ran a 10K that was held in around Gillette Stadium at the end of which we ran up and down the ramps in the stadium, out through the giant inflatable patriots helmet and across the 50 yard line. If you listen carefully in Gillette stadium you can still hear me screaming "TAKE THAT FAT AL"
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I asked my husband if he thought I had good muscle tone and he fumbled an answer.
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know that little girl was a kid but wow. I hope her parents didn't hear her and decided not to do anything. There's no way I'd let my kid talk like that. Glad you didn't take it too personally though (or at least I hope you didn't).

Anyway, for me it was pretty much the same as what the OP said. I had been wanting to diet for years and just kept putting it off. I hated how I looked and I constantly thought about how I was in high school. I mentioned to a coworker one day about how I need to start counting calories and he told me about the lose it app. So that actually got me to start recording my calories, I had no idea there were apps like that! I was too lazy to do it all in my head so I got really into it. I eventually started wanting more support from people and another coworker told me about her myfitnesspal app so I switched to here :)
    Then I got into working out a different way. I used to play dance central for the kinect and one day my hubby was talking to me about his friend's wife who lost a lot of weight doing zumba. So I looked into that and was going to buy the game but then I found a class right down the street from me and I've been doing that ever since. I recently started to add strength training to my workouts as well
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Folks asking how long I was "expecting"...when was my "due date".?

8488541.png
  • HockeyHolic
    HockeyHolic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My mother. She's had one shoulder and two knee replacements and is still recovering from one spinal fusion that will have to be redone this coming Friday. She yo-yo dieted throughout her adult life by cutting calories. By this time she doesn't have much muscle mass and osteoarthritis on top of that. I see myself in her and I don't want to be frail and fragile come 70.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The mirror lies, photos tell the truth. So I quit looking at photos! Seriously tho, no one else ever commented about my weight. I was always my worst critic, and let injuries and disability take over and accepted that weight gain was inevitable.

My final wake up calls were my 49th birthday, just after my mom died from T2Diabetes. She missed meeting my first grandchild by 3 weeks. The day my granddaughter was born, was the highest point of my life in quite some time, but was also bittersweet when I realized I couldn't call my mom to tell her the news. I called her sister instead, and we cried together.

I vowed right then that I would be here to meet my great grandchild one day, and I would not put my family thru the horror of watching me die from a preventable disease.

One year later, and not a day has gone by that I regret signing up here. My life and health are drastically changed.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My ex had a few things to say, and there's a reason why she's now my ex.
  • krystalraven
    Options
    Haha! Kids will be kids! And I was far more amused than I was offended!
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    Pictures do not lie..... that's when I realized how much I had gained. I barely recognized myself. That and my sister-in-law told me I wasn't that much overweight.
  • Jerijoh
    Jerijoh Posts: 107
    Options
    I was at a coffee morning and there was a little girl about four years old handing out cupcakes that she'd made. When she got to me she said 'You're not getting a cake because you look like you've eaten five already'. I laughed and then she asked me 'Why are you so fatty?' Haha! That was my wake-up call!!! Haha!!!

Hahahaha this is funny and sad at the same time.. Kids just don't know any better.. =P
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me it was the printout from my blood work. I carry weight pretty well, and while I can't honestly say I didn't care about the extra weight, I didn't care enough until I got that printout showing my triglycerides were only a few points from leaving the "normal" range. THAT I cared about. This year they were so low they couldn't be measured with the finger prick test (< 45). :happy:
  • krystalraven
    Options
    I was at a coffee morning and there was a little girl about four years old handing out cupcakes that she'd made. When she got to me she said 'You're not getting a cake because you look like you've eaten five already'. I laughed and then she asked me 'Why are you so fatty?' Haha! That was my wake-up call!!! Haha!!!

Hahahaha this is funny and sad at the same time.. Kids just don't know any better.. =P

If you want an honest opinion...ask a four year old! Haha!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    For me it was the printout from my blood work. I carry weight pretty well, and while I can't honestly say I didn't care about the extra weight, I didn't care enough until I got that printout showing my triglycerides were only a few points from leaving the "normal" range. THAT I cared about. This year they were so low they couldn't be measured with the finger prick test (< 45). :happy:

My highest Triglyceride number was 685 a few years ago. How's that for a wake up call. I lowered my carb level and managed to get it below 200. Looking forward to next bloodwork after my weight loss to see what the number is now.
  • xxhawk68xx
    xxhawk68xx Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The nurses in the ER room while the were treating me for a blood clots in both lungs.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The endocrinologist doctor I was seeing for metabolic syndrome (high BP/cholesterol/blood sugar) flippantly gave me a weight loss surgery pamphlet as I was going out the door.

I showed him! My BP and blood sugar are now normal and cholesterol is barely high, and I've lost close to 100 pounds.

I'll give him credit though - instead of Metformin he put me on Byetta. It slows down your digestion and helps your body use its own insulin more effectively. What it did was help me to not snack in the evenings and started me on the path to eating better.
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I had a body composition screening and it said I had an extras 40 pounds of fat on me. That was a huge wake-up call. Now 7 months later I am 5 pounds away from being at a "normal weight". Hopefully I can reach it by the end of this semester.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Pics, relatives i was meeting after a long time, shopping(XL was starting to get tighter-now i can fit into a M) and mainly looking at myself dance in a stuido mirror. I just hated how i looked/danced. I knew i had to do something to feel more confident about myself
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    For me it was the "before" in my profile picture. I utterly hate that picture. It was taken exactly one year after my wedding and I had gained over 25 pounds in that time. It blows my mind that I gained that much in one year! I feel like I just look pregnant (I am not) and terrible in that photo and it was the final kick in the pants for me. Now I'm less than 10 pounds from my wedding weight! And I am NOT stopping there :D