Besides yourself and a mirror, who gave you a wake-up call?

Options

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My doctor. He didn't say it in a "you need to lose weight" sort of way. He said it as "losing weight will help you control your blood sugar" which was 1 pt. short of pre-diabetic at the time. That sort of wording is why he continues to be my doctor. Good bedside manner - sounds concerned for me.
  • ddoeren84
    Options
    I was never severely overweight, I just steadily gained weight by eating like a pig and was like 20 pounds heavier than I had ever been before.

Earlier this summer I went to a water park with my girlfriend and saw how bad all of the really overweight people looked in bathing suits so I figured I should try to do something about my extra weight because I don't ever want it to get that bad.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately not a single person. Not even my Dr. every year he has me tested for diabetes, etc & so far everything is clear, but I know its a matter of time. I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant plus you add in obesity & its defiantly only a matter of time. But even if someone said something to me I don't know if I would have listened, the mind sees what it wants to see & you hear only what you want to hear. It was myself that got disgusted w/my own inability to move my fat behind & said enough is enough.
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well I had known I was getting 'thick' but when my sister in law who hates me told me that I was fat and I should really work out I was really offended. Instead I turned my anger into motivation and I have become addicted to working out now and I have created so many healthy versions of recipes I love. In a way Im glad that I have found this healthier lifestyle. :)
  • walzllw
    walzllw Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My health, when the doctor prescribed a third medicine for Type 2 diabetes. It made me sick and I had enough!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My doctor's assistant said something about estrogen and weight and breast cancer (which runs in the family) but my doctor never did, she feels I'm a adult, I know what to do. That statement and seeing myself in Easter photos and a mirror going into a store around the same time...I didn't recognize the bloated person, I seemed so puffy...it's funny how you grow used to seeing yourself, it's so gradual. I wear scrubs and even they were getting tight with a stretchy waist.
    One day, it was just "that's it" and a coworker told me about MFP.
  • ketoambahh
    Options
    My parents said something and I didn't listen. It took looking at my wallet and the fast food bags left on my bedroom floor to realize what I was doing was harmful.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    For it was my step dad. He said "Honey I love you so much, I really do and you are so beautiful and there is nothing wrong with the way you look but I am so worried about your heart. I am scared that with your small frame it is too much for you"..... I had heart failure while having my son so I did not take it personal or get mad like most people would because I had just had a very sobering experience with how unhealthy I had gotten. My mother was furious with him but I thank him every chance I get. I am on about my 3rd "do-over" on here but I am ready now and really focusing on the health factor of the whole situation.... that was my wake up call.
  • Rosie958r
    Rosie958r Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had to put my weight on a form to have some day surgery.
    Hadn't weighed myself in over a year.
    Couldn't believe how much I had put on!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My doctor telling me I was pre-diabetic, and an article I read, while sitting in my dentist's office, about visceral fat.
  • VulpesCrucigera
    Options
    Crazy as it might sound, I realised that I was starting to lose control over my weight was when my leg got stuck between two bars on the playground (I work in a kindergarten so that's usual stuff for me).
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My knees. I developed severe arthritis.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    At the pool the little kid saying to his mom....the whale is out of the water...we need to push it back in...Nahhh just people I meet and the looks they gave me..
  • valeriemcmichael77
    Options
    Innocent kids. They mean no harm but they really can give you a reality check. I had a similar experience.
  • valeriemcmichael77
    Options
    Nice weight loss!!! Keep up the good work.
  • valeriemcmichael77
    Options
    Nice!!!! The health problems follow the extra weight. It's been a real challenge for me, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
  • ronnie554
    ronnie554 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    On last years holiday someone took a picture of me on the beach.

I wasnt happy with that picture and that is my motivation.

When i reach my goal which is set at losing 10 stone, i will publish the before and after photos.

I currently have lost nearly 6 and a half stone.

Myfitness Pal has become mybest mate.

X
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    At my 'fitness test' for my new gym last August, my instructor measured my body fat % - something I had no awareness of. At 135lbs, I had 37% body fat.

That was what got me moving!
  • jennatheraven
    jennatheraven Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to be really fit and healthy when I was younger, but they slowly and without me noticing it piled on. Now I don't want to just lost the weight, I want to be fit, healthy and look good. Many things to motivate me! I am more interested in the inches than the weight.

Also, before I always exercised, so I've always eaten what I want, MFP is a massive eye opener and is making it much simpler! I still eat what I want, but it's nice to keep tabs and eat smaller portions and know what I'm putting in my body.
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    My best friend's boyfriend literally called me fat, flat out, to my face. My uncle, too. "My, Ashley, are you getting fat?"
    It was then that I decided I needed to lose weight...
    Although I'fe been called fat all my life.