Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Low calorie or low carb what really works?

2

Replies

  • J72FITJ72FIT Member Posts: 5,477 Member Member Posts: 5,477 Member
    CI<CO for weight/fat loss.

    Variety, exercise, rest and recovery for health...
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 37,961 Member Member Posts: 37,961 Member
    Im so confused about what really is the best and healthiest way to eat for weight loss and health.

    Weight management is about calories (energy). When you consume fewer calories (less energy) than your body requires, you burn fat (stored energy) to make up for that deficiency. How you get there is up to you. Cutting carbs is one of many ways to reduce calorie intake. It also doesn't have to be "low" calories...your consumption just has to be less than you require to maintain the status quo. I lose about 1 Lb per week eating 2300-2500 calories for example...hardly "low" calorie...just lower than what I require to maintain my weight.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 23,060 Member Member Posts: 23,060 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Oh, it's a hot new thing. We've had a few threads about it.

    Some people just like to make things as difficult as possible! Apparently! 😂

    I’m waiting for the ‘Plant Based Carnivore Plan’ to hit the magazine covers!

    (Warning: Cynic mode on.)

    I think it's just another instance of the sin and retribution model of weight loss. We got fat; we are bad people; we must suffer to expiate our sins; we must eat WFPB carnivore keto on an 23:45/00:15 intermittent fasting schedule cutting out all white foods, alcohol, and anything we personally think tastes good; while hitting the gym 6 hours a day to do HIIT and the heaviest possible lifting to failure!

    Lasts about 5 minutes, confirms sense of sin and failure, "fall off wagon" for a few months and eat/drink All The Things, . . . then rinse and repeat.

    (/cynic).

    Sigh.

    For clarity: No criticism of specific food regimens intended, to the extent that people find those regimens let them eat a well-rounded balanced diet in a way that's easier and pleasant for them. Or exercise regimens that are enjoyable, and provide some semi-rational route to health and fitness. It's the "suffer to pay for sin" model I'm railing about.

    It's this exactly I think. I also think there is an element of thinking that the average American diet is terrible, therefore the more different your diet is from the average, the better it is.
  • rhondafaerhondafae Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    While I've never posted here in all the time I've used MFP, I felt that I had to jump in, here. I started a Keto diet 10 days ago. It's easy, but expect to cook your own food, and make those WHOLE foods! Meals can be so simple...today I had a grilled center-cut pork chop and sauteed spinach. Grilled chicken wings are DIVINE and I find it easy to stay, "low carb". The one drawback is that while everything I eat now is delicious, my appetite has diminished to the point that I'm struggling to make my daily minimum. As a result, I've lost 8 lbs in ten days. My waistline has been the most dramatic change, although I typically lose weight from the top down. I do need to add that as it's springtime in southwest Mississippi, I have been working outside nearly every day, sometimes logging 19,000 steps a day. I'm probably not typical, but I feel fantastic with more energy than I know what to do with!

    But to answer your question, yes, CI/CO is the trick, however a low-carb diet will cause your appetite to decrease and while you'll eat healthier, you may struggle to take in enough calories. I've added multi-vitamins and drink only water or lemon-ginger tea. The first couple of days saw a few light cravings, but those passed after the first week. Hey, I can do ANYTHING for a week!

    I'd like to lose about 10 more lbs and once I accomplish that, re-introduce a few old favorites back into my diet such as a glass of wine or slice of bread. Even still, Keto will always be a part of my life, maybe a week out of every month just to make sure I don't go off the deep end.

    Good luck, you!

  • AvidkeoAvidkeo Member Posts: 2,105 Member Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    rhondafae wrote: »
    While I've never posted here in all the time I've used MFP, I felt that I had to jump in, here. I started a Keto diet 10 days ago. It's easy, but expect to cook your own food, and make those WHOLE foods! Meals can be so simple...today I had a grilled center-cut pork chop and sauteed spinach. Grilled chicken wings are DIVINE and I find it easy to stay, "low carb". The one drawback is that while everything I eat now is delicious, my appetite has diminished to the point that I'm struggling to make my daily minimum. As a result, I've lost 8 lbs in ten days. My waistline has been the most dramatic change, although I typically lose weight from the top down. I do need to add that as it's springtime in southwest Mississippi, I have been working outside nearly every day, sometimes logging 19,000 steps a day. I'm probably not typical, but I feel fantastic with more energy than I know what to do with!

    But to answer your question, yes, CI/CO is the trick, however a low-carb diet will cause your appetite to decrease and while you'll eat healthier, you may struggle to take in enough calories. I've added multi-vitamins and drink only water or lemon-ginger tea. The first couple of days saw a few light cravings, but those passed after the first week. Hey, I can do ANYTHING for a week!

    I'd like to lose about 10 more lbs and once I accomplish that, re-introduce a few old favorites back into my diet such as a glass of wine or slice of bread. Even still, Keto will always be a part of my life, maybe a week out of every month just to make sure I don't go off the deep end.

    Good luck, you!

    But what is a whole food? A whole loaf of bread? A whole pumpkin? A whole head of lettuce? If I did that diet, I'd still be gaining weight!
  • psychod787psychod787 Member, Premium Posts: 3,400 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3,400 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    rhondafae wrote: »
    While I've never posted here in all the time I've used MFP, I felt that I had to jump in, here. I started a Keto diet 10 days ago. It's easy, but expect to cook your own food, and make those WHOLE foods! Meals can be so simple...today I had a grilled center-cut pork chop and sauteed spinach. Grilled chicken wings are DIVINE and I find it easy to stay, "low carb". The one drawback is that while everything I eat now is delicious, my appetite has diminished to the point that I'm struggling to make my daily minimum. As a result, I've lost 8 lbs in ten days. My waistline has been the most dramatic change, although I typically lose weight from the top down. I do need to add that as it's springtime in southwest Mississippi, I have been working outside nearly every day, sometimes logging 19,000 steps a day. I'm probably not typical, but I feel fantastic with more energy than I know what to do with!

    But to answer your question, yes, CI/CO is the trick, however a low-carb diet will cause your appetite to decrease and while you'll eat healthier, you may struggle to take in enough calories. I've added multi-vitamins and drink only water or lemon-ginger tea. The first couple of days saw a few light cravings, but those passed after the first week. Hey, I can do ANYTHING for a week!

    I'd like to lose about 10 more lbs and once I accomplish that, re-introduce a few old favorites back into my diet such as a glass of wine or slice of bread. Even still, Keto will always be a part of my life, maybe a week out of every month just to make sure I don't go off the deep end.

    Good luck, you!

    But what is a whole food? A whole loaf of bread? A whole pumpkin? A whole head of lettuce? If I did that diet, I'd still be gaining weight!

    Actually bread would fall under nova class 3. So, it's not exactly a "whole" food. If you ate a whole pumpkin with a whole head of lettuce, doubtful you would gain much body fat. Might gain weight and a little stomach discomfort though. I suggest to the poster that a whole foods low carb diet can, in many people, reduce appetite. So can a whole foods high carb vegan diet. Or a whole foods paleo...insert "diet" here. It's not magic.... we have seen in multiple studies, that a more whole foods based diet people generally spontaneously eat less... why? The mechanisms are still being worked out. Trouble I see with these diets are that the practitioners never learn how to flex when they need to.
  • psychod787psychod787 Member, Premium Posts: 3,400 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3,400 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    rhondafae wrote: »
    While I've never posted here in all the time I've used MFP, I felt that I had to jump in, here. I started a Keto diet 10 days ago. It's easy, but expect to cook your own food, and make those WHOLE foods! Meals can be so simple...today I had a grilled center-cut pork chop and sauteed spinach. Grilled chicken wings are DIVINE and I find it easy to stay, "low carb". The one drawback is that while everything I eat now is delicious, my appetite has diminished to the point that I'm struggling to make my daily minimum. As a result, I've lost 8 lbs in ten days. My waistline has been the most dramatic change, although I typically lose weight from the top down. I do need to add that as it's springtime in southwest Mississippi, I have been working outside nearly every day, sometimes logging 19,000 steps a day. I'm probably not typical, but I feel fantastic with more energy than I know what to do with!

    But to answer your question, yes, CI/CO is the trick, however a low-carb diet will cause your appetite to decrease and while you'll eat healthier, you may struggle to take in enough calories. I've added multi-vitamins and drink only water or lemon-ginger tea. The first couple of days saw a few light cravings, but those passed after the first week. Hey, I can do ANYTHING for a week!

    I'd like to lose about 10 more lbs and once I accomplish that, re-introduce a few old favorites back into my diet such as a glass of wine or slice of bread. Even still, Keto will always be a part of my life, maybe a week out of every month just to make sure I don't go off the deep end.

    Good luck, you!

    I'm glad you found something that works for you :)

    However, while low carb may have caused YOUR appetite to decrease, this is not universally true.

    For example, while I love fat, I don't find it especially satiating.

    I've never had such a high percentage of carbs in my life as when I was in Costa Rico, living on rice & beans, tropical fruit, and veggies. I had mangoes and bananas several times a day, every day. Never-the-less, I found this filling, effortlessly and unconsciously created a calorie deficit, and dropped a size without even trying.

    However, foods made from flour, like bread and pasta, I don't find filling at all, and can eat and eat and eat them.

    Kinda what I was getting at ma'am. 😉
  • JoeyTheWandererJoeyTheWanderer Member Posts: 224 Member Member Posts: 224 Member
    Calories in vs Calories out is how most people loose weight. Roughly 3500 calories is equivalent to a pound. If you have a 500 calorie deficit everyday; you would loose a pound per week.

    MFP calculates your calories based on basal metabolic rate + activity levels. BMR is your calorie expenditure at rest; based of your weight/age/height. Generally the heavier you are; the more you need to maintain.

    If you get meet your nutritional needs and have a deficit~ You will loose weight. If you don't~ Then you either haven't given it enough time ;have miscalculated in some manner or if all us fails you "Might" have a metabolic disorder that needs to be diagnosed by a doctor.




  • bmeadows380bmeadows380 Member Posts: 2,391 Member Member Posts: 2,391 Member
    And to go along with what Anne says, there are a lot of different calculators out there that can give you different estimates - sometimes as much as 200-300 calories different, so finding that appropriate calorie intake to lose weight is definitely a process and shouldn't just automatically be assumed to not be working just because the initial calculated estimate is off.
  • pandaapopandaapo Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member
    Low carb because more volume more satiety... also trying to eat every 3 hours( waiting more if ure not hugnry) works. but i love carby foods i have them too sometimes.
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member Posts: 23,060 Member Member Posts: 23,060 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    pandaapo wrote: »
    Low carb because more volume more satiety... also trying to eat every 3 hours( waiting more if ure not hugnry) works. but i love carby foods i have them too sometimes.

    In my experience, a low carbohydrate diet results in lower volume because I'm limiting vegetables and including more higher fat foods (which are usually more calorie dense).

    I agee with you, too. To eat low carb, I'd need to reduce veggies and fruits dramatically compared to my preferred produce-heavy way of eating (200g+ carbs most days, in maintenance, but little of what the average person usually visualizes when one says "carbs"). Low carb would definitely require a lower physical volume, for me. (I tend to under-eat fats, unless I pay attention. I shoot for 50g minimum, and usually am not far over that.)

    But I think when some people undertake a low-carb diet, they reduce some relatively low-satiety foods, that either seem low-volume because they aren't filling, or that are visually small. I'm thinking of things like the classic airy hamburger buns and sub rolls that don't seem substantial; french fries and other calorie-dense, physically small things that are characterized as "carbs" but really get more calories from fat than carbs, including pizza; salads like potato salad or macaroni salad that are low-veg but high fat and moderate carb and tend to be small portions.

    Some - by their own report - increase vegetable intake vs. their former way of eating, in the form of lower-carb veggies like leafy greens that are visually big, or - if paying attention to net carbs - are higher fiber so visually large and seem weighty/satiating. It's mind-boggling to me - and I'm admitting a personal limitation here, not criticizing others' eating - that the amounts of vegetables some describe as such are "lots of veggies". My definition of "lots of veggies" differs, because of my personal taste preferences.

    In that kind of picture, I can see how someone - especially someone who didn't log their previous eating and actually see the macro counts - can be pursuing a low-carb diet and feel like there's more volume. Satiety and volume, of course, are related but not tightly, universally linked.

    Yes, the majority of my carbohydrates are the type that make low carbohydrate people say "Oh, I don't mean *those* carbs" because they're leafy and green and/or full of fiber. But I'd still have to cut a lot of them in order to have a low carbohydrate diet.

    Purely anecdotal, but everyone I've ever known who said that low carbohydrate diets contain "lots of veggies" seems to be coming from a way of eating where they ate hardly any (and it's great if that works for them, but vegetables are something that I'm not willing to limit -- other than to meet my calorie goals).
Sign In or Register to comment.