I need help, I will starve myself before I let myself back slide.

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Tons of things cause water weight. It's good to know those things ahead of time to prevent freak-outs like you had.

Sunburn or other injury
    Travel (especially flying)
    New exercise
    Hormones

The list goes on. Again, I'd urge you to read the article linked above.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 cals enough? What's your activity level.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Tons of things cause water weight. It's good to know those things ahead of time to prevent freak-outs like you had.

Sunburn or other injury
    New exercise
    Hormones

The article really is worth a read.

(I was torn between anointed one or exalted one :wink: )
  • Beths_Angels
    Beths_Angels Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I don't know, I'm going off what MyfitnessPal told me when I signed up. I do over an hour a day (bike riding, rowing machine, some sits up and such) as of now but before (last week)it was about 40min of rowing a day. How can I find out what I should be on? I still want to aim for 2 pounds a week.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I don't know, I'm going off what MyfitnessPal told me when I signed up. I do over an hour a day (bike riding, rowing machine, some sits up and such) as of now but before (last week)it was about 40min of rowing a day. How can I find out what I should be on? I still want to aim for 2 pounds a week.

MFP gave you that calorie goal with the intention that you would also eat back the additional calories you're burning through exercise.
  • Beths_Angels
    Options

Sunburn or other injury
    New exercise
    Hormones

I wouldn't of thought about sunburn but it makes sense
  • Beths_Angels
    edited April 2020
    Options
    "MFP gave you that calorie goal with the intention that you would also eat back the additional calories you're burning through exercise. "

Does it matter that much if i'm only losing 2 pounds a week, I can't be that under if i'm not losing more than that can I.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "MFP gave you that calorie goal with the intention that you would also eat back the additional calories you're burning through exercise. "

Does it matter that much if i'm only losing 2 pounds a week, I can't be that under if i'm not losing more than that can I.

I can't speak to the specifics of how you're estimating your calorie intake, so it's certainly possible that you're eating more than you think you are. I was speaking more generally about how MFP operates. If someone is doing an hour of intentional exercise a day, 1,200 is not an appropriate goal. There are lots of people who shoot for a low goal and wind up eating more. When you have a lot of weight to lose, as many of us do at the beginning, this isn't that big of a deal. As you get closer to goal, you may want to adopt some strategies to more accurately estimate your calorie intake as continuing weight loss will be harder if your calorie estimates are signficantly off.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I would blame the cycling. Don't give it up! I find my muscles grab onto a lot of water weight, often at slightly unexpected times, and then drop what they don't need, giving me a sudden downturn in the weight. Hang in there.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

Sunburn or other injury
    New exercise
    Hormones

I wouldn't of thought about sunburn but it makes sense

This gave me an AHA moment as well. Topical, first day of big sun and my sunscreen reapplication habits already challenged....
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    The panic, fear and mindset of this board really bothers me.

You are sliding down a slippery slope and you need to put the breaks on.

• Beths_Angels
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Only?!? Hun, you really need to sit down and think of what you're doing. 2lbs per week is the absolute maximum, and that is for seriously obese people, not for people who are overweight. You seem to have some serious disordered thinking about food. I would consider talking to your GP about it and seek help.

I really am trying to do it healthy that's why I was aiming for 2 pounds a weeks. All the youtubers and bloggers said 2 pounds was healthy so I thought that was what i should be doing, same with the 1200 cal limit. I thought I was doing it right. I asked my GP about it when I started and they gave me a booklet that said my BMI was too high and lose weight. Its hard to get information that isn't conflicted or just saying lose weight with no information of how.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,946 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to link this article one more time - Beths_Angels, take a minute to read this -

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • Beths_Angels
    Options
    I'm just going to link this article one more time - Beths_Angels, take a minute to read this -

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

I had a read of it when it was first posted but your not getting what i'm trying to say. What I get from that is do all what I am doing but don't weigh myself cos they can lie. NO how to do it, no why 1200 is bad, no how much exercise. Your telling me that i'm doing everything wrong and not telling me what to do to fix it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    For weight loss rate, there is this guideline:

r8c3rhmwy1en.jpg

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    PS no one is saying to not weigh yourself, just that the scales can play tricks, so it's important to look at the longer term trend and also be mindful of factors such as new exercises, etc that can cause those 'blips' in the shorter term.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Eat the calorie goal mfp gave you
    Step 2. After working out and logging it eat back those calories you burned to bring yourself back above 1200 net calories.

Do not eat below 1200. If you only eat 1200 and burn 300 you're only eating 900 because you spent 300 on exercise

You cant pay the rent if you spend it
  • Beths_Angels
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    For weight loss rate, there is this guideline:

r8c3rhmwy1en.jpg

Thank god you get what I was getting at.