Am I too fat to go swimming?

Options
OK, so something I've not done since I was like 13 or something, is swimming. I used to love swimming as a kid, but as the years went by, and the weight piled on, it's something I never ever dreamt of doing, until now.

I signed up to a gym today, have the induction on Thursday evening, and the gym membership I paid for comes with unlimited access to the swimming baths, and it got me thinking - Am I too fat to go swimming?

I know I shouldn't care what other people think, and yes, other people probably don't care about me being there, they're too busy doing their thing to concern themselves over the "fat guy" but I can't help feeling self conscious about it.

Anybody else out there had/have the same problem? Anybody else face their fear of the going swimming?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    No, do it. Swimming is great, low impact exercise for someone who has a lot of excess weight on them.
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Omigosh swimming will be so good for you!!! especially if you are carrying a bit more weight - no pressure on your joints in the pool!!

The other people at the pool will have their own issues they are dealing with so forget about them and do this FOR YOU!

Swimming laps is a great all body work out.. even aqua jogging or aqua aerobics.. You can so do this!!!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    There will always be *kitten* who will think someone is too fat to be doing something but I say go for it. Swimming is an awesome workout, and low impact makes it a nice change from other cardio.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    No, swimming is awesome. If you're self conscious wear a t-shirt with your shorts.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Initially yes, because the gym I attend during the school year is typically used by men and women in the various collegiate sports teams. ie they are all quite fit and young and make me feel twice as large.

I just kept telling myself that I paid for my membership, I have every right to be there, and that I can't healthy unless I try.

One of the girls stopped by last spring semester as I sweated my hiney off on the treadmill to tell me to keep going because I rocked. For a moment I was extremely self-conscious, and then I felt empowered.

Don't give in. Go. You will love it!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I used to hate swimming when I was fat, but I still went, end of the day you'll never see those people again so doesn't really matter.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    @ herblackwings - I was actually considering wearing a shirt, just not sure if it will make me stand out even more!

I do a lot of cardio at home, but my house is kind of cluttered with exercise equipment, so I decided to purchase a gym membership with the money I get from selling off the equipment!

Thanks for the encouragement people, I guess that's why I made the post, encouragement goes a long way!
  • dlittlebear
    dlittlebear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, swimming is awesome. If you're self conscious wear a t-shirt with your shorts.

I do this! I also have an abdominal scar so double whammy for being self conscious. Though I love to be in a pool, so exhausted after feels great.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm 297 lbs and I love to swim. It helps me with my bad knee's, back, my breathing (I have asthma) and gives me time to myself and my thoughts. Not to mention I have lost weight doing so! I say go for it, enjoy!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options
    No.

Since your body is made primarily of fat you're more likely to float which will make drowning difficult.

Don't wear a shirt or anything like that. Swim with confidence. Your not the first overweight person to be in a bathing suit. No one will care.
  • mirrinias
    mirrinias Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! Any effort to exercise is seen as positive. I'd make sure you review the 'unspoken' rules of swimming at a gym, such as sharing lanes and whatnot, but otherwise GO FOR IT. If it's too hard to swim continuously right now, just walk in the water, a lot of gyms have weights you can use too. It's low impact so it's easy on your joints until you get your weight down. And it's hard work but it doesn't feel that way until later.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    get to swimming! :)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    @ herblackwings - I was actually considering wearing a shirt, just not sure if it will make me stand out even more!

I do a lot of cardio at home, but my house is kind of cluttered with exercise equipment, so I decided to purchase a gym membership with the money I get from selling off the equipment!

Thanks for the encouragement people, I guess that's why I made the post, encouragement goes a long way!

When I still lived near a YMCA I saw lots of guys who swam in a t-shirt and shorts regardless of weight. I seriously doubt anybody will comment on it. They probably won't even really notice since most of the time people lead busy lives and need to do their think then move on to the next life event.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    If you can get in the pool, then you should go swimming. As a regular at several pools, there is typically a wide range of body types and abilities. So there is no need to feel anxious. And since most folks are wrapped up in what they're doing, they're unlikely to even notice you in the first instance. So, go, enjoy, and swim until your hearts content!
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the perfect exercise! Do it!! I used to be self conscious too until one day I saw a burn victim at the water park and realized if she can strut with confidence then I have no excuse. I still find myself worrying my leg jiggles are gross, but then I have to tell myself "If I'm not as sexy as them then at least I make them feel good about themselves."
  • jjlange1
    jjlange1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First-- who the hell cares what you look like? You are havnig fun and that is all that matters.

Secondly - are you talking about swimming for exercise or what people call swimming and they mean laying around a pool deck or jumping in the waves? Either way, the "too fat" answer is "no"...however....

If you are talking about swimming (the actual exercvise of laps and distance) this is one sport where excess fat makes no difference and can even help. It is all about hydrodynamics and technique. I learned how to swim a few years ago (from a book no less) to be able to do triathons. I got to masters swim workouts now. There are people that are REALLY overweight that just blow the fins off everyone! Look at distance swimmers that cross the English channel and they have to put on excess weight to do it because of the cold water.

Swimming is ALL technique and if done properly is easy on the LEG joints but can tear up your shoulders if not done properly. Once you get the technique together, you can go for 60 - 90 minutes easily and do really great workouts.

Best to you and see you in the lanes!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too fat to swim. Hell, there's an aquazumba class populated almost exclusively by morbidly obese retirees at my community center, and the "worst" anyone has ever said is "good for them! They've found a starting place, they will be healthier and more badass."

And no one looks dignified at any weight doing aquazumba. No one.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Follow-up. I went from barely being able to swim two laps (4 lengths) without feeling like I was going to die back in January to swimming nearly a mile (1500 meters) straight during triathlons this summer. The entire time I have worn my heart rate monitor beneath a rash guard shirt. So wear what you feel comfortable in. As I said before, no one is even likely to give you a second glance since they are doing their thing too.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    First-- who the hell cares what you look like? You are havnig fun and that is all that matters.

Secondly - are you talking about swimming for exercise or what people call swimming and they mean laying around a pool deck or jumping in the waves? Either way, the "too fat" answer is "no"...however....

If you are talking about swimming (the actual exercvise of laps and distance) this is one sport where excess fat makes no difference and can even help. It is all about hydrodynamics and technique. I learned how to swim a few years ago (from a book no less) to be able to do triathons. I got to masters swim workouts now. There are people that are REALLY overweight that just blow the fins off everyone! Look at distance swimmers that cross the English channel and they have to put on excess weight to do it because of the cold water.

Swimming is ALL technique and if done properly is easy on the LEG joints but can tear up your shoulders if not done properly. Once you get the technique together, you can go for 60 - 90 minutes easily and do really great workouts.

Best to you and see you in the lanes!

The main reason for wanting to swim is weight loss. I just want to get in for an hour each time I go to the gym (which I'm going to try and do 3 - 4 times a week)

I usually aim to do at least 30 minutes of cardio each day, I figured if I can get an hour of swimming in each day it will make a HUGE difference to the amount of calories burned.

Someone mentioned using their HRM in the swimming baths, I have a Polar FT4 HRM, would that work in water? Don't think I have the user manual anymore!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!

I loved swimming as a kid and as I got older and chubbier I got more and more self-conscious. I eventually avoided swimming and bathing suits at all costs. At some point as an adult I decided I didn't want to be one of the people sitting on the side of the pool, watching the people who were actually having fun. Yes, I still feel self-conscious at times, but most of the time I'm enjoying the heck out of myself.

Whether you want to swim for weight loss or just for fun, don't let the fear of what others think stop you.