Am I too fat to go swimming?

Options

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could EVER think that a person could be "too fat to go swimming". I really don't think anyone would ever think that.

I have been fat for possibly the past third of my life from just overweight to pretty obese (300 lbs, healthy weight around 150 lbs) and I remember only too well during the thin period of my life wishing fat people kept themselves covered up, acres of bulging semi naked flesh wobbling about was not, in my view at that time, the most pleasant thing in the world. This has coloured my view. And I think you would probably be surprised to find out how many people find obesity, and public displays of it, disgusting. Yes, it shouldn't make any difference, and perhaps I should think, to hell with those who don't approve, but for well over ten years I have felt self conscious about my weight and have even avoided being naked or semi naked in front of family and friends. Go figure, we all have our hang ups. The positive thing is the more weight I lose, the less I feel like this and I see the day approaching when I will emerge from my mental chrysalis into the light!

Yeah, maybe if you had learned acceptance of others and compassion, you wouldn't be hating on yourself now.

You can train yourself not to judge others based in appearance. But if you don't fix it, you'll just become a horrible person who is fit. Aka an *kitten*.

I agree, but you're applying today's morality to yesterday. When I was young, before you were born, fat people were few and far between and looked at differently. The thing that worries me nowadays in these more enlightened times, is all the talk of an obesity epidemic, it is making obese people something to be despised again, people who have no self control, people who are so gross they can't stop eating garbage. (Fortunately not th people on MFP who are doing their best to do something about it). Rather as smoking has become reviled, so is obesity, to the extent where if you're thin and die of a heart attack, you've had a heart attack, if you're obese and have a heart attack, you've died of an 'obesity related disease'. There has even been talk of Doctors refusing to treat obese people until they lose weight, fortunately that hasn't happened yet. Tomorrow's morality may be very different to today's, there are no abolutes.

Nonetheless, the main reason I don't swim yet is I'm self conscious about my body which I don't like and can't imagine others will like. Maybe it takes more courage than I have to say to hell with the nay sayers, but that's just the way I am.
  • batgirl_273
    batgirl_273 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i feel the same! I LOVE swimming but i'm too self conscious to go.. i don't want to be the chunky chick at the pool, especially being a teen..ish haha
    <3

Don't miss out on something because of what others might think.
    I hate the way I look in a bathing suit, so I wear swim shorts over my bottoms, and wear a halter tankini to emphasize my huge boobs. Then i jump in like I own the place.

I was at a hotel the other day, and i went swimming... these teenage guys (i'm in my 20's) clearly wanted to use the pool also but wouldn't come in because I was in there with my mom (who's also overweight). So they sat on the pool edge impatiently waiting. We just laughed about it and carried on with what we were doing. They were soooo uncomfortable, they eventually left. Sucks to be them!
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You're never too fat for anything, other than certain step ladders and fitting into small places. Don't ever let it be your excuse, not to exercise! The only way anyone is even going to notice you is if you are a totally awesome swimmer, and if that's the case all your problems are solved. I had the same fear about running. Truth is, no one even notices me. I know this, because they'll stand right in my way or walk right out in front of me all time!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You GO FOR IT. I was very heavy when I started to swim--beached whale in a swimsuit. I could NOT swim 1 length of the pool. I would swim one and stop and rest. Then I got down there and back---whoohooo--my FIRST LAP! Then 3 laps, then 5, then 10...and so on. Last month I swam 32 laps--ONE MILE! It took over an hour, but I DID IT. I mostly swim 40 minutes as I do other cardio and weights. A young, very overweight man was sitting in the hot tub watching me swim. When I finished, he came and got in the pool and told me how impressed he was with my swimming. He couldn't believe I had been swimming for 30 minutes. I told him my slow progress story and how great it made me feel to be in the water and that at 58, if I could do it so could he. When I got the in hot tub, he was swimming and stopping just like I had. I hope I inspired him to continue as I hope you will listen to all thee kind people and enjoy the exercise.

I also swim with my mask and snorkel so I don't have to constantly turn my neck to breathe--it is so much easier on my neck. SOOO----I LOOK LIKE a TOTAL DORK! and I don't give a dang! Ha--DO it FOR YOU ! Good Luck.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Wow, wasn't expecting so many positive comments!

Thanks for the comments people - it really does help!

I will be going swimming tomorrow, after work - first time in years, so I will let all who me be interested know how it went!

Like I said before, I reckon once I get the first time out of the way with, it will be a lot easier.

Thanks for the support guys!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    ENjoy!!
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    instead of a T shirt look for those rash guard/sun block swim shirts - if that will make you more comfortable. I say definately go for it - once you are in the water moving you will feel great! and no body there exercising is going to judge you there WORKING OUT! I think more like they will be impressed - ever read the blog -Hey, Fat Girl?
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    SWIM! It's awesome! I was doing HIIT in the pool for a bit and it was great!

...and yes, your FT4 should run in the water...according to the manual it's good for 30M of depth, but of course your mileage may vary.

Have fun in the pool!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    The best way to disarm those that have a problem with big folks at the gym or pool is to use humor. I say, do a titanic cannonball each time you enter the pool for your kick *kitten* workout and you will win them over.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    You are not too fat to get in a pool,you can do whatever you want! I go to interval aerobics several times a wk at a gym.We have mostly woman,every age & weight.So far as I know,the only difference is,the thinner younger ppl can move faster when we walk.

Guess what? We just had a thin, young,good looking guy join us.He said he was there for a medical reason.He loved it....& worked way harder than he expected.
    Our other male member is trying hard to lose wt,spending an hr with us,then an hr exercising in the pool,5 days a wk.

My point is,just do your own thing,start slow,then add intensity........Good Luck
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Wow, wasn't expecting so many positive comments!

Thanks for the comments people - it really does help!

I will be going swimming tomorrow, after work - first time in years, so I will let all who me be interested know how it went!

Like I said before, I reckon once I get the first time out of the way with, it will be a lot easier.

Thanks for the support guys!

For Sure! Just what you said...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could EVER think that a person could be "too fat to go swimming". I really don't think anyone would ever think that.

I have been fat for possibly the past third of my life from just overweight to pretty obese (300 lbs, healthy weight around 150 lbs) and I remember only too well during the thin period of my life wishing fat people kept themselves covered up, acres of bulging semi naked flesh wobbling about was not, in my view at that time, the most pleasant thing in the world. This has coloured my view. And I think you would probably be surprised to find out how many people find obesity, and public displays of it, disgusting. Yes, it shouldn't make any difference, and perhaps I should think, to hell with those who don't approve, but for well over ten years I have felt self conscious about my weight and have even avoided being naked or semi naked in front of family and friends. Go figure, we all have our hang ups. The positive thing is the more weight I lose, the less I feel like this and I see the day approaching when I will emerge from my mental chrysalis into the light!

I do understand that some people are cruel and judgmental. But, I don't see how anyone could be thinking that at a gym pool. If they are thinking that then they should leave the pool. Everyone is allowed to use the pool. Anyone that has a problem with it, should be the one not using the pool. No one should have to feel ashamed of their own body. One time when I was in my 20's I tried out a water aerobics class, it was excellent for people that had injuries or mobility issues of all ages, sizes, abilities. And everyone was so fun and supportive of one another. Pools are often used for rehabilitation as well. So anyone using a pool needs to be able to handle seeing people at all different stages of fitness (I don't see how it's harming them or why they would care). They even have mommy/baby swimming classes.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The bigger you are, the bigger the splash, so go for it!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    You're a guy? Guys walk around topless, no matter what size they are. No one will even notice. #DoubleStandard
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    The best way to disarm those that have a problem with big folks at the gym or pool is to use humor. I say, do a titanic cannonball each time you enter the pool for your kick *kitten* workout and you will win them over.

No, that will just p!ss me off.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Fat floats, so no.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You're a guy? Guys walk around topless, no matter what size they are. No one will even notice. #DoubleStandard

Iknowrite?

You have my permission to walk around topless!
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    if you get in the pool and ALLLLL the water comes spilling out then i'd say yes you are but if not swim on my little fish!:drinker:
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The gym is there for that exact reason. To get fit and stay fit. You have to start somewhere and a lot of people who go to the gym were once over weight or staying fit to not be over weight. Just go, swim and get healthy.
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    One good thing I noticed about a gym pool or the gym in general is: everyone is there because they want to improve themselves. In that atmosphere I don't think people are going to judge. In fact, they'd probably silently commend you for doing something! Go for it! Swimming burns so many calories because of the water resistance. If you wear a shirt or long shorts, that's even more resistance, thus more of a calorie burn!