Getting Called Out In Public - "You Are Fat"

Options

Replies

• Luwright321
    Luwright321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Probably the one that pissed me off the most was from my now former doctor a few years ago. I hurt my knee in karate class then after a stair tumble. As soon as he walked into the office the FIRST thing out of his mouth was "Well, you're overweight, so this isn't going to be good." It got worse from there, and what makes me laugh about it is the guy easily topped 400 pounds!

Wow! What an *kitten*! I had a similiar experience when I got pregnant for the first time. I had a miscarriage in the first trimester and the doctor I was seeing told me I needed to lose weight before trying to get pregnant again. WTH did my weight have to do with anything? He made it sound like it was my fault because I was overweight. Well, I left his office and never went back to see him again. I went on to have 2 perfectly healthy children after that.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I would fart in her general direction.

You...I like you
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Any advice on how to overcome this public humiliation?

Thanks

I recommend a left hook followed by a knee to the sternum.

However, if you'd prefer to avoid the jail time, walking away is the only real answer. You can't talk sense or even have a good comeback to a person who would say such a thing.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I would pity them. If they have got so little going on in their own lives that they get their kicks out of shouting insults at strangers in the street then they are pretty pathetic!

yup!
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    This reply works a treat.

"Yes, yes I am. Would you like to know why I'm so fat? It's because every time I shagged your husband/wife/mother/father* they baked me a cake".

* Delete as appropriate

You're welcome :smokin:
  • Luwright321
    Luwright321 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Some people are cruel. You think things like this only happen when you'er growing up, but no, adults are just as mean, if not worse.

I used to have the "cool guys" at school throw pennies at my butt when I'd walk down the hall.... they would say it's so big that they took bets and if one missed, they lost the bet. I wasn't even that overweight in school.... I certainly wasn't the heaviest girl, but because I didn't look like the popular girls on the cheer squad, i was "fat", and was called so every day. But this has made me into the person I am today... I'm strong, I'm outspoken, and I don't take any crap!

Like others say on here... you need thick skin, but you are only human. You can use humor/sarcasm to address it (which is my choice), or you can ignore it and move on. Some people really are just cruel and ignorant, nothing will change them, but you can change how you feel about it and how you react.
    I completely agree! Humor and Sarcasm are my weapons of choice too. Of course that doesn't always work so then I just tell people where they can go!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    People who do that are usually deeply insecure, unhappy, and possibly bitter. Treat them as you would a child throwing a tantrum- walk away. When they don't get a response, eventually they give up.

Then gloat over the fact that you don't need to be an *kitten* in public to validate your self-worth.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Just smile and move on :flowerforyou:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Any advice on how to overcome this public humiliation?

Thanks
    how to covercome HER public humiliation? SHE is the one who is acting like a horse's hind quarters. YOU are no the one being humiliated, SHE is. I would pay no more attention to her, then i would to anyone acting like an idiot. it has nothign to do with YOU.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    One word...

Karma...

It will bite them one day
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone would do that. It really hurts...
    I have to remind myself that I am a work in progress!
    What is "fat" anyway. you can weight 98 lbs, and be "fat" and unhealthy (skinny fat, no muscle)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mo8zf58Ds51rniizso1_500.gif
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There's nothing for you to react to. That person made a huge mistake, and they will regret making that comment. By ignoring it, you avoid making a comment or getting into a confrontation that you yourself will regret. Everyone has said something that they wish they could take back.... That person just added another "I was such an a-hole when..." moment to their stack of moments of self-reflection.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone would do that. It really hurts...

They do it because they are either inconsiderate or plain mean.
    It only hurts as much as you let it.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    This reply works a treat.

"Yes, yes I am. Would you like to know why I'm so fat? It's because every time I shagged your husband/wife/mother/father* they baked me a cake".

* Delete as appropriate

You're welcome :smokin:

OMG This absolutely. LMAO

OP, I generally find smart-assery works in this type of situation. "Aww...but we were so looking forward to you being one of us!" "But I was falling in love with you!" Or blow kisses.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I find that usually when people say mean or hurtful things it is a direct result of them - i.e. they are insecure or unhappy with themselves and really has nothing to do with you. They feel so terrible about themselves/their hang ups, that they feel better by putting someone down - a stranger is an easy target. Sooooo, when you think of it that way, you can't help but feel sorry for them and their words are meaningless. You keep rockin' to the new healthier you!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What bothered me even more was the fact that she said "I hate all you fat people"

OMG she just offended so many people all at once without knowing us....
    If someone hates all fat people, what's to be offended at? Her problem.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I would say "Yup, but I used to be fatter. Did you used to be nicer?"

But then again, I'm not easily offended. Roll with it.

Love this. :flowerforyou:
  • josh44095
    Options
    If this happened to me I would give them the exact opposite of a reaction. Instead of being offended I would act like it was the best compliment I have ever received. People say nasty things about other people just to make them selves feel better about something.
  • scorpio31f
    Options
    People who point out other peoples short commings are just insecure and unhappy with themselves.. I BEEN WORKING OUT ON MY TREADMILL FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS and my brothers girlfriend who hasnt seen me in months comes over the other day and pops off saying " you gained weight, sorry but I can tell, then said I had a big butt , lol you should see her... Yes, it hurt my feelings and I just looked at her and said yes I know I gained weight (I quit smoking 3 years ago) but I'm doing something about it, now it just pushes me harder when I WORK OUT and one day when I'm totally fit I'll look her in the face and I'm sure she'll have another hateful comment but there are jerks out there, just ignore her and pat yourself on the back for trying to lose weight because you got this!!!!!!!

Shannon~