Coronavirus advice

Options
flynntrader
flynntrader Posts: 210 Member
Some public service announcement:

1. Covid19 can live on surfaces for at least 24 hours
2. Masks are not 100% bullet proof, but continue to wear it
3. Use gloves when going out - more important than masks
4. Don’t forget gloves when pumping gas - use Mobil app to activate pump by phone
5. Nuke takeout in microwave for 35 seconds before eating
6. Definitely wear a mask when jogging or walking, unless it’s very empty
7. Wear masks and gloves even in drive through
8. Cloth masks with filters are almost as effective as n95 masks

So if you are getting groceries or amazon boxes or Instacart - wipe down using Lysol or force of nature spray before using it

You don’t have to be so crazy in a low infection state but if you are in NY, NJ, CT, MI or CA.... definitely worth it to be OCD about desanitizing and masking up

Replies

• GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    Research determined that:

1. It takes Lysol up to10 minutes to kill the virus on a surface.
    2. Covid can live on a surface much longer than 24hrs; I believe they found it to live one surface up to 9 days.

eh... you know what... nevermind.
  • flynntrader
    flynntrader Posts: 210 Member
    Options

2. Covid can live on a surface much longer than 24hrs; I believe they found it to live one surface up to 9 days.

It’s a really resilient virus. I have heard it can live on amazon package surfaces and that’s how people were getting it before amazon started implementing stricter controls.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing these:

0000106_2-extra-long-silicone-oven-mitts-with-cotton-lining_750.jpeg
  • beautifullxo
    beautifullxo Posts: 46 Member
    Options

4. Don’t forget gloves when pumping gas - use Mobil app to activate pump by phone

So if you are getting groceries or amazon boxes or Instacart - wipe down using Lysol or force of nature spray before using it

You don’t have to be so crazy in a low infection state but if you are in NY, NJ, CT, MI or CA.... definitely worth it to be OCD about desanitizing and masking up

Thanks for this !
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    One more thought. I carry a can of Lysol in my car and have on just inside the front door.
    I just automatically reach for it when I get out of the car, steering wheel, door handles, inside and out.
    Take off my shoes at the door and spray them. Discolored now, but safer.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    😂
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I haven't seen anywhere that it is recommended to wear a mask while exercising outdoors. If it's that crowded, I'd find somewhere else to exercise or just do it at home. You're likely to do more harm than good, as you are going to put out significant CO2 emissions while jogging and then breathing those back in. The risk of catching the virus while exercising outdoors is minuscule...the risk of me passing out while cycling because I'm breathing in my own CO2 emissions for a couple of hours is much higher.

I wear a mask in situations where it can be more difficult to maintain social distancing...basically shopping, and that's about it. I don't cycle anywhere that it would be so crowded as for me to even consider wearing a mask. If it's that crowded, I'm not going to get in a quality ride anyway, so it would be a non starter regardless of the virus.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I haven't seen anywhere that it is recommended to wear a mask while exercising outdoors. If it's that crowded, I'd find somewhere else to exercise or just do it at home. You're likely to do more harm than good, as you are going to put out significant CO2 emissions while jogging and then breathing those back in. The risk of catching the virus while exercising outdoors is minuscule...the risk of me passing out while cycling because I'm breathing in my own CO2 emissions for a couple of hours is much higher.

I wear a mask in situations where it can be more difficult to maintain social distancing...basically shopping, and that's about it. I don't cycle anywhere that it would be so crowded as for me to even consider wearing a mask. If it's that crowded, I'm not going to get in a quality ride anyway, so it would be a non starter regardless of the virus.

Correct. The recommendation is for masks where social distancing isn’t possible.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    personally, i find the WHO's website very informative when it comes to when and how to wear masks 😷🤒

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

03rd1uqzpeut.jpg
  • TwitchyMacGee
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    personally, i find the WHO's website very informative when it comes to when and how to wear masks 😷🤒

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

03rd1uqzpeut.jpg

Ok but Walmart won’t let me in without it
  • TwitchyMacGee
    Options
    iMago wrote: »

03rd1uqzpeut.jpg

Ok but Walmart won’t let me in without it

Or Costco, and I would imagine many places will ultimately follow suite. In my state, any employee working whether curbside or in a store must wear a mask and I figure with that in place as of yesterday, it will become pretty much compulsory for these places to also require their costumers to mask up.

I personally don't mind...my eyes are one of my most complimented features...the rest of my face, not so much...so all people see now are my eyes and be all...oooohhh...he's hot!

Step out of the shadows, wolfman, and let us be the judge 😁
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options

Most disinfectants require a period of wet time to effectively kill the virus. Not all disinfectants work on SARS-CoV-2, but most of the commonly used commercial ones do.

I googled once to see how long it would survive below zero. Two years. Awesome. Otherwise it depends on the surface. I believe it survives 2 - 3 days on steel and plastic, 24 hours on cardboard, and only a few hours on copper.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Most disinfectants require a period of wet time to effectively kill the virus. Not all disinfectants work on SARS-CoV-2, but most of the commonly used commercial ones do.

I googled once to see how long it would survive below zero. Two years. Awesome. Otherwise it depends on the surface. I believe it survives 2 - 3 days on steel and plastic, 24 hours on cardboard, and only a few hours on copper.

copper.

it's true.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23571374

however..... these products are expensive.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2014/12/15/369931598/a-copper-bedrail-could-cut-back-on-infections-for-hospital-patients
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »

copper.

it's true.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23571374

however..... these products are expensive.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2014/12/15/369931598/a-copper-bedrail-could-cut-back-on-infections-for-hospital-patients

I briefly contemplated a suit of armour made entirely of copper. Maybe I could just strategically glue a bunch of pennies (no longer in circulation in Canada) to myself.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Options

Please...I cannot walk and breathe in masks...I definitely cant run and breathe in masks 😐