why do people like to tear others down?

Options
13»

Replies

• admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I do think it might be time to move on if he's making comments that you don't like. I mean, what does it really matter anyways if you keep him as a friend or not?! Probably not much if he's starting to annoy you now.

I would like to point out 2 things:

1. I don't think he means "big" as in "fat" but big as in "muscular" - I know myself, I don't find extremely muscular woman attractive, and perhaps this is what he was getting at.

2. See this quote here?
    He has a lean body but not attractive

Is that not also just as judgmental as he is being towards you? Justifying that you should drop him as a friend/work out buddy because you are doing better/are more attractive than him doesn't seem like a very nice reason, just like it's not nice of him to tell you to not ever talk about how you are enjoying crossfit because he isn't interested in it.

ETA: I also agree with what a few others have mentioned - if you are not gaining anything out of this relationship, and it's putting stress on you, then it's probably not worth it. This guy sounds like he might need more motivation, and perhaps he wants you to stick around because he feels motivated by you - but his way of saying it is really flawed.

I also want to add that to me it sounds you already have your mind made up but just want validation from other people. If he really is your friend, have you tried talking to him about it? To me it sounds like you kind of look down on him and if that's true, he can probably see it. I get why he wouldn't want to hear about you doing the training that he wants but cannot afford and yes it's immature for him to tell you not to ever talk about but I would think that as his friend you would be sensitive to that and not feel the need to talk to him about getting what he can't have. It's rude.

I think regardless of how your relationship changed, you owe it to him to tell him the truth. Don't just disappear because that's really sh**** thing to do.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    So the next questions: Just slowly disappear or tell him?

Just slowly disappearing is kind of a really low-life thing to do IMHO, especially since (I'm assuming) you've been work out partners with him for more than a few weeks.

Please be mature and talk to him - and not just "hey, I don't want you as a work out partner anymore, period" but an actual conversation regarding how he's making you feel, then see where it goes from there.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well, neither one of you seem to have a very high opinion of each other... so I'm not understanding why you are even gym partners... :huh: