Social Eater—saying "No"?

Options
13»

Replies

• eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Anthem76 wrote: »
    I think it can help to be clear upfront. If someone invites me to visit, at the time I accept, I say something like, "Please don't go through any trouble preparing food. I'm following a special diet right now." Or "I will come over after lunch, so please don't prepare a meal." Another option is to offer to bring lunch or a snack, again after explaining why. Or meet at a restaurant that has healthy options. I think most food-pushers don't mean to be rude; often I think they are anticipating enjoying a treat with company and feel disappointed when their plans are foiled. By explaining the situation ahead of time, everyone can plan and know what to expect.

That's a good way to go about it!
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I politely decline. If they keep asking then I explain with something like:

I feel better when I don’t have too much sugar.

I feel better when I stay within my calories.

I feel better when I don’t snack between meals.

Usually they don’t push after that because they would have to urge me to feel bad. And it’s not judging (I hope) if they choose to eat. I am not saying it’s bad. Just that I feel bad when I do it. Which is true.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I have IBS, and absolutely blame that if need be. "Thanks, it looks/smells lovely, but my tummy is really acting up right now and I don't want to make it worse." Even if I'm is fine and there's nothing in the offered food that would be an issue. This makes it rude for the food-pusher to continue.

Then there are people that just absolutely don't care. My dad's new wife loves baking, knows perfectly well I have to eat gluten free, and completely ignores it. She keeps baking stuff and giving it to me. Last Christmas I donated two big Christmas cakes (baked by her) to my office potluck, and one of my colleagues brought home the leftovers. Everyone was happier that way.
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    mlrtri wrote: »
    I politely decline. If they keep asking then I explain with something like:

I feel better when I don’t have too much sugar.

I feel better when I stay within my calories.

I feel better when I don’t snack between meals.

Usually they don’t push after that because they would have to urge me to feel bad. And it’s not judging (I hope) if they choose to eat. I am not saying it’s bad. Just that I feel bad when I do it. Which is true.

That's a smart way to go about it