June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,717 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - crazy for someone to hit a biker and not stop! So tragic for all those who were hit.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,717 Member
    Options
    I decided to not go with my plan today, since I haven't run much the last couple of weeks. Instead of doing 8 miles, I went out with the intent of doing at least 3 miles and see how I felt and go from there. I felt okay after 3, so decided to do 4, then, since I was going really slow and it wouldn't be too much longer, just decided to go for an hour and see where I was. Wound up running a little over and hour to get in 4.5 miles. Also walked 1.5 miles.

It was fairly hot and humid - 73°F and 88% humidity. I am trying to watch my HR and keep it in the easy zones. I do okay for the first mile or two, but then it keeps creeping up, even when I slow down. The last full mile was my slowest, but the avg HR was the highest. Matt Fitzgerald likes to use the zones because he says that most people who go by "feel" run too fast. Maybe, since the first couple of miles are good I could just try to keep that pace and not worry about the HR. What do you think?

exercise.png
    I don’t focus on my heart rate when running. Up until my new Garmin last month I didn’t have a device that would monitor it. I know a lot of people do though. I think the longer you run or do a cardio activity your HR stays in a higher zone.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I decided to not go with my plan today, since I haven't run much the last couple of weeks. Instead of doing 8 miles, I went out with the intent of doing at least 3 miles and see how I felt and go from there. I felt okay after 3, so decided to do 4, then, since I was going really slow and it wouldn't be too much longer, just decided to go for an hour and see where I was. Wound up running a little over and hour to get in 4.5 miles. Also walked 1.5 miles.

It was fairly hot and humid - 73°F and 88% humidity. I am trying to watch my HR and keep it in the easy zones. I do okay for the first mile or two, but then it keeps creeping up, even when I slow down. The last full mile was my slowest, but the avg HR was the highest. Matt Fitzgerald likes to use the zones because he says that most people who go by "feel" run too fast. Maybe, since the first couple of miles are good I could just try to keep that pace and not worry about the HR. What do you think?

exercise.png

I used to use HR zones while running, but I have not found it works for me. For me, running by feel is the most reliable.

In post-run analysis though, I can use HR. So say its 55F out and I ran 10 miles. I might have ah 9 minute pace and my HR average might be say 145 (all numbers totally made up here). Another day I run the same 10 miles, but my pace is 10:30, and the temp is 75F, but my HR is still right around 145. That tells me those runs were roughly the same EFFORT even though the PACE was way different. If the second run was at like 130 average hr, then I would know that I was just being lazy that day. If it was 160 I know I was pushing much harder. That assists in comparing disparate runs.

That is just me though, and I am a very much loosely goosey runner when it comes to all stats/methods/etc. :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I used to use HR zones while running, but I have not found it works for me. For me, running by feel is the most reliable.

In post-run analysis though, I can use HR. So say its 55F out and I ran 10 miles. I might have ah 9 minute pace and my HR average might be say 145 (all numbers totally made up here). Another day I run the same 10 miles, but my pace is 10:30, and the temp is 75F, but my HR is still right around 145. That tells me those runs were roughly the same EFFORT even though the PACE was way different. If the second run was at like 130 average hr, then I would know that I was just being lazy that day. If it was 160 I know I was pushing much harder. That assists in comparing disparate runs.

That is just me though, and I am a very much loosely goosey runner when it comes to all stats/methods/etc. :)

I've started using HR for the last month. I try to keep in a specific range during a majority of runs - intervals are different, of course. I warm up for the first mile because it takes time for HR to stabilize after starting. Once warmed up, I try to stay within a particular zone. If I find my HR drifting too high, I slow way down... almost looks like I'm running in place. My feet are still moving as though I'm running, but I decrease cadence and stride length both until HR has gotten back to the level I'm targeting.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    ABabilonia wrote: »

exercise.png

06/01-06/26: 60.9
    06/27: 4.6

I haven't run the last three days because I have been having some minor ankle problems plus my only pair of running shoes got wet when I ran in the rain three days ago. I am hoping that I can reach 80 miles this month. Have a nice weekend everyone.

I’m not encouraging you to run on your injured ankle, but do you know the trick of stuffing your wet shoes with newspaper? They really absorb the moisture and help them dry quickly.

Thanks for the trick. I put newspaper on them🙂
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0628-5k, total-66.6k goal-70k

It was hot and humid this morning. I didn't think much of it until I stopped for a red light and suddenly felt like I was going to puke. Luckily I only had 1km left and after a bit of walking eventually finished the distance. Was probably dehydrated after a tough gym session yesterday afternoon and some drinking with friends in the evening.

@Avidkeo Congrats on a pain free run! Hope it only gets better from here.
    @skippygirlsmom That's awful. Getting hit by something is one of my eternal worries as a runner.
    @katharmonic Awesome pic!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile that's a cool medal! Those woods sound cool, if confusing.

@quilteryoyo I don't pay attention to HR at all during runs. I don't find that it is a good correlation with my pace, but agree with @PastorVincent that I look at it a little after the fact in terms of effort comparisons.

@avidkeo glad to hear you had a run without pain. Good luck with your marathon training reset.

@skippygirlsmom so awful about the injuries to runners/cyclists. Wishing the best for your friend, how terrible.

@teresa502 good job on your 15-mile run! Especially in hot and humid conditions.

Here's a pic my friend took of the owl we saw today. It was really close to us.
    ec0iasxe4j1j.jpg
    Very cool! That looks like a barred owl. We have them in our yard but I haven’t seen them yet, just heard them at night. They make a call like “hoot-de-hoo, hoo hoo!” which some people say is supposed to sound like “Who cooks for you?”
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,986 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 That is an excellent run. Glad you feel confident about the MCM now. Plus, you still have time to train. You've got this.

@katharmonic That owl is really cool.

@Elise4270 Geeze. I don't get it. Why are people being so mean for no reason?

@marisap2010 Walking is better than sitting on the couch. I'm not going to make my goal this month either.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,984 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    June Goal: 100 Miles

6/2: 6.55 miles
    6/3: 7.06 miles
    6/4: 6.72 miles
    6/7: 10.07 miles
    6/8: 7.04 miles
    6/10: 6.53 miles
    6/11: 6.05 miles
    6/14: 10.04 miles
    6/16: 7.02 miles
    6/17: 5.12 miles
    6/18: 6.02 miles
    6/21: 10.06 miles
    6/22: 6.02 miles
    6/24: 6.32 miles
    6/25: 6.31 miles
    6/28: 11.04 miles

117.96/100 miles completed for June

681.17/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 11 miles this morning.  I managed to get out about 6:45 and it was already 77°F with 90% humidity and a dew point of 73° and 13 mph winds. It was 81° feels like 86° by the end and the wind was picking up to about 16 mph. It didn't seem too dusty though and so I just took it slow and tried to enjoy the run. I saw lots of birds today and a few rabbits.  I saw a grass snake slithering across the road inches in front of  pickup.  I don't know how he didn't get squished. It was a pretty nice run. It was cloudy and seemed to be getting more dusty toward the end. Hopefully this dust will be gone soon.

@katharmonic That owl is really cool. And thanks for setting us up for July.

@skippygirlsmom That is so sad and scary about the runners being hit. I hope your friend recovers.

@rheddmobile I love the sun catcher medal.

@elise4270 I don't know why people are so hateful.  Sometimes I think the porple in this group are the only people I like.

@hamsterwheel6 Happy Birthday tomorrow. I hope it's great. And if you don't have time to run 5.2 miles you can always run 5.2 km.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,986 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 Great run yesterday. Happy Birthday, tomorrow.

@Geneveremfp Congratulations on exceeding your June goal!

@katharmonic Glad you had a fun run with your friend. Thanks for setting up the July thread.

@kgirlhart Glad you enjoyed your run, even in those conditions. I'm hoping the dust moves on soon too.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Damn it damn it. Sigh.

Went for 5k and about half way through, calf niggle started again. Grrrrr

So now I'm at a loss. It took 3 weeks off running for it to settle. Then I ruined it by running on hills too soon. Do I stop running? Ignore it, hope it goes away?

I know, the sensible thing is take more time. Missing the first week of training won't hurt. But geez this is getting me worried long term, that it's turning into a chronic injury.

Anyone run in compression? I am finding compression helps generally but haven't worn it while running.