June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart I guess I'm a little weird. My left second toe is a little longer than my left big toe; I get blisters on the tip of this toe and the nail has a dark mark on it.
    My right second toe is a little shorter than my right big toe; it too gets blisters on the tip and the nail has a dark mark on it as well.
    I suspect the blisters are caused by my pulling my socks too tight; that could also be the cause of the dark marks on the nails.
    I also noticed that my feet may have been swollen when I ran Monday after walking 9 holes of golf.
    This may just be a long way of saying that not only are all our feet different, but also they can be different from day to day.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

So for this Summer Binge (via aravaipa running) = it's 110 miles in 10 days, the mileage increases cumulatively. Is that an ultra?

So I'm thinking about this, anything over 26.2 is considered an ultra so does that mean because I ran 30 miles this week it's an ultra, I don't think so.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options

So for this Summer Binge (via aravaipa running) = it's 110 miles in 10 days, the mileage increases cumulatively. Is that an ultra?

So I'm thinking about this, anything over 26.2 is considered an ultra so does that mean because I ran 30 miles this week it's an ultra, I don't think so.

Yeah, I think you're right :(
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Quarantine workout level up? Erf! Or maybe just a sign coach is working me too hard LOL
    ysiodocgrhef.jpg

Looks like maybe you chewed through it, eh Hulk? LOL!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 it sounded good though. Now maybe one of the others that said you will run a certain amount of time; going to run 10 hours starting 9:00 am on 7/1 and at the end of 10 hours that's my mileage, whether it's 30 or 100 miles. In that race no matter if you are eating or sleeping the clock continues to run.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Yeah, I think you're right :(

Ultra is technically any single race that is longer than a marathon. Ultrarunners tend to say "50k (30 miles) or longer" - but whichever number you take - it is intended to be in a single run.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent that flower is gorgeous! Also - those resistance bands are awesome. I have some bands I use religiously for PT and they have seemed to really help that process.

I got them originally for working out at home without a gym. I never really used them, but now I am using them for PT. Well unofficial PT but same idea. Glad I have them right now! :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Anyway, that's my update. That, and there's a mouse in my office and I have been standing on my desk or in my chair multiple times. Let me be clear - I am not AFRAID of the mouse - I just don't want him (Fred) to crawl up my legs or in my shirt because that's a huge violation, okay?

Ahem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OID7gA8fcaw
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    pfprimo wrote: »
    Everybody don't forget - tomorrow is Global Running Day! Great day to get some miles in. There are many organizations sponsoring special events and/or virtual races to help you share your love (or love-hate) of running.

I did! Hmm. Will have to think of something special like DODGE THE LIGHTNING RUN or something given the weather predictions.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Quarantine workout level up? Erf! Or maybe just a sign coach is working me too hard LOL
    ysiodocgrhef.jpg

Looks like maybe you chewed through it, eh Hulk? LOL!

Tastes like chicken... well not really, more like dirty balloon! :D

But I was doing just a normal hip abductor exercise and snapped it. Trying to contact manufacture since it has a lifetime warranty but not going well yet.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @kgirlhart I guess I'm a little weird.

You are just figuring this out now?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent That flower is breathtaking!

@mbaker566 I just ordered some Tailwind last night, as it's getting warmer. I've never tried it before, but my sister really likes it. I got one of the trial packs with all the different flavors.

6/1: 1.75m
    6/2: 5.5m

Thanks!

Tailwind is very well-reviewed. I know ultrarunners that drink only Tailwind for their entire run. I used it myself for a while, but I do not think it sat well in my stomach so I am trying a competing product called Skratch.

I love Tailwind, started using it about three years ago on advice of a triathlete friend of mine. Love all the flavors, nothing too sweet or bitter, and never had any issues on the run or bike. I order it from Runningwarehouse.com (which is where I order most of my running-related stuff - 3-day free shipping and their blog is pretty good).

I just got new shoes from RW. :) If you are part of a local running club, most of them have a deal where RW gives you a 10% discount. Might want to check into it if you shop there a lot. Could add up with time.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart - I don't recall who posted it originally but I got these for my toes. I mostly use them just on my 2nd toes which are longer and also tend to get beat up for some reason. I do have 1 pair of shoes that seem to run a bit short even though I sized up (1.5 sizes!) but it may just be how my feet sit in the shoe. They only impact the 2nd toe on my right foot too which is also odd but the toe covers have worked wonders. I haven't had a black toenail in ages.

I am a big SKRATCH fan. My nutritionist recommended it a while back. I get it at REI or Amazon and sometimes order directly from SKRATCH when they have specials. I really like the chews. I used to use ShotBloks and they made me so incredibly thirsty. The SKRATCH fruit chews don't affect me that way.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options

exercise.png

06/01/2020: 3.1
    06/02/2020: 2.5
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    @kgirlhart I guess I'm a little weird.

You are just figuring this out now?

... a LITTLE weird...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart @skippygirlsmom These are the toe covers I use. There are a billion different brands and they all seem similar. I used to get black second toes every time I ran hard on trails, now after a year my toes are lovely. I even wore them for an ultra. They also help if you have one toe which slides under the other and cuts it with the nail (my husband’s problem.)

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Protector-Toenails-Blisters-Problems/dp/B07D9DFK9T/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3PU64GASWBPBG&dchild=1&keywords=silicone+toe+caps+toe+protectors&qid=1591138354&sprefix=Silicone+toe+cap,aps,185&sr=8-2

They last forever so you don’t really need this many, if you can find fewer. The large size is for big toes and the small works on everything but pinky toes - you can cut them to size.

@Camaramandy648 So glad the kid is okay! You too @Avidkeo !

@kgirlhart I am very sorry to hear about your aunt.

@quilteryoyo Fingers crossed your dad gets good news.
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @PastorVincent That flower is breathtaking!

@mbaker566 I just ordered some Tailwind last night, as it's getting warmer. I've never tried it before, but my sister really likes it. I got one of the trial packs with all the different flavors.

6/1: 1.75m
    6/2: 5.5m

Thanks!

Tailwind is very well-reviewed. I know ultrarunners that drink only Tailwind for their entire run. I used it myself for a while, but I do not think it sat well in my stomach so I am trying a competing product called Skratch.

I love Tailwind, started using it about three years ago on advice of a triathlete friend of mine. Love all the flavors, nothing too sweet or bitter, and never had any issues on the run or bike. I order it from Runningwarehouse.com (which is where I order most of my running-related stuff - 3-day free shipping and their blog is pretty good).

I just got new shoes from RW. :) If you are part of a local running club, most of them have a deal where RW gives you a 10% discount. Might want to check into it if you shop there a lot. Could add up with time.

Ha, same here - just got my second pair of Altra Torin 4's and giving those Feetures Merino socks a shot for the first time. Absolutely I'll look into that running club discount. I've ordered so much from RW over the past 10 or so years and I still haven't received a discount code, I don't know what gives. But I love what they provide and their customer service is top-notch. Thanks for the tip.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom, @shanaber and @rheddmobile. I will check those out.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I couldn’t possibly keep up today! Very chatty today.
    Work is absolutely insane right now, so no time during the day.
    I did the first run of June. 5.2 miles. Was not bad, weather was nice, probably the last nice day as it only get hotter from here on out. Must start gettin up earlier now. Ugh.
    I’m kind of tired today so forgive me for not replying to posts. Hugs to all
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @kgirlhart Glad you had a good run. I have no experience with black toenails, but I have been know to cover up ugly nails with polish, so I don't see anything wrong with that. :lol:

@skippygirlsmom
    Sorry about your neighbor's attitude. I think that is part of the problem. There are extremes on both sides that are causing the problems. It's too bad that the majority of us, who have no issues with any other race, can't figure out how to be the loudest voice.