June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 the cactus is beautiful, the other not so much! A house I run by has an amazing cactus by their mailbox I need to take a picture, it's not huge but it's beautiful.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @pfprimo I should take one rest day a week. Sometimes that doesn't happen, especially if the week gets a little wonky. But sometimes the rest day is the most important day of the week.
    I also try to get one longer run per week. Two laps around my condo development is 7k; three laps plus a little tail is 11k. Sometimes when I don't take a rest day, I don't think I have enough stamina to do my longer run, so I just do the standard 7k.
    Frequency, distance, and pace are all very individual.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@PastorVincent you may not realize this but you are a trend setter.

That is a bit scary.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    PPT today - had to postpone due to sick kids, t minus 1hr 45mins.

I can't wait! Not that I expect this to be the answer to life, the universe and everything (yes, I know that's 42), but can make a plan for getting back to it!

Hopefully will be doing some gentle running tomorrow. Been a week!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 and @PastorVincent Thanks for the context -- I'll just make sure to check the ingredients on the ones I am planning to try.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo a fellow hitchhiker of the universe!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,980 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 Love the cactus flower. Sorry your lavender didn't make it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I had planned for today to be a cross training day, but then I was reminded that it is Global Running Day. For cross training, I was going to do an uphill treadmill walk. So, I modified it by walking a mile, then ran a mile, then walked another mile. So, cross trained and ran. Win-win. :smile:

exercise.png

My AC is out. Technician is supposed to come in the morning around 9:30 to fix it. Thankfully, my house is in the middle of the woods, so it is shady and doesn't get extremely hot. Glad my treadmill is in the basement, which is cooler than the main level.

one of the main reasons i'd like to fix up my basement is to live down there in summer :P
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I’m so behind. Tried to catch up as best I could and delighted to hear @quilteryoyo’s dad is better and that you’re on the mend @Avidkeo.

I didn’t find out it was Global Running Day today until this afternoon so I’m extra glad I got my 5 miles in this morning!

Hope everyone is safe and well. X

June goal: 75 miles
    June total: 10 miles

1/6: 5m
    2/6: Strength training
    3/6: 5m

May: 80 m
    April: 115 m
    March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great running on Global Running day everyone! @pfprimo nice job on the 5k time! That's awesome!

@Lexigraph thanks and same to you - good job getting out there instead of going back to bed!

@Teresa502 your kayaking staycation looks great. I'm itching to buy a kayak but it seems like everyone I know who has one barely uses it, and I'm trying not to spend huge amounts of money right now (and if I bought a kayak, then I'd need a rack too). But I seriously want one!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    06/02/20 :::: 3.3 :::: 6.8
    06/03/20 :::: 2.4 :::: 9.3

I didn't contribute much to global running day. But I did go to the track for a workout. First we did sprints and plyometric exercises between. Then we did a farmer carry with a dumbbell for .1 mile, ran a lap, then repeated two more times. It was so humid, and my hands could barely hold that stupid dumbbell.

I intended to run more later in the day but it didn't happen. I did talk a nice walk though. My legs are feeling heavy and I'm entirely unmotivated to run this week. I think I burned out last month. Maybe a cutback week will get me back on track.
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic thank you for your kind words. Kudos to you on the sprints at the track - you reminded me that speed work is a critical piece to any running regimen. I typically run 3x week, averaging 4-7 miles at a moderate pace (in my case, ~11:45 mile). If I'm going to become a more efficient runner, I really do need to incorporate some speed work, whether its fartleks on my usual routes, or a visit to the local school track. Good stuff and thanks!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    For global running day, I ran 6.4. It was warm, and I went easy as I could. Sometimes it’s harder going slower. But I could tell that it was a good idea as my heart rate was higher at that pace.

@quilteryoyo Great news about dad. I know too well these stress tests!
    @pfprimo good running ! That is my 5K goal..28 min or less. Long shot but a goal lol. My pr is 28:09 last year which I have yet to come close to. But I will keep trying. I run 3 days a week 4-7 miles as well and a long run on Sat or sun depending on weather and what I’ve got going on. Gives me a couple rest days which I might cross train or noting at all.

I’m wanting to try this Skratch or tailwind..Have to go to Fleet Feet soon as my shoes are at over 450 miles already, according to Garmin. And I kind of feel it in my shin I think. Could be placebo thinking need new shoes!

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    06/01/2020:3.1
    06/02/2020:2.5
    06/03/2020:3.1

exercise.png
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I ran 7 miles on the trail this morning. Late start for me (10:30 am) and I could really tell a difference in the temperature compared to when I usually run at 6:00 am. I never could get my Garmin to connect to the Garmin Connect app on my phone which connects to Strava. My battery life of my Forerunner has not been up to par lately either. When I ran 14 miles on Saturday I only had 26% battery power left at the end of the run. This doesn't bode well for marathon training. So, since Garmin has a Father's Day sale going on, I ordered a new one this morning. Should be here next week!

@Avidkeo - hope you are healed and back to running soon. In the meantime, enjoy the cross training!

@katharmonic - I can't justify purchasing a kayak either. Yesterday, a friend of a friend had all these kayaks and he and his wife transported us and kayaks to the start and picked us up at the end point. It was very kind of them. The last time I went was a couple of years ago and we used a company that supplied the kayak and transportation for $20 or something. I figure as infrequently as I go, it's better to pay as I go!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    2.99 miles last night (I know, it hurts, but did not keep going to get 3 even).
    5.50 miles tonight.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Question - I know many of you get up really early before work to run. If you didn't have to get up for work would you still get up that early and run?

Background - I used to go for my run before my 6 or 6:30 am meetings started (worked from home). When I stopped working I kept it up for a while but I seem to sleep later and later now (also going to bed later) and I just can't seem to get up early to run any longer. I want to, have been working on getting to bed earlier too , but I never seem to get out the door before 8:30...

Also on another note, after all our discussion on AfterShokz - mine broke today. Same place as last time right by the controls. I don't think I am going to ask for another warranty replacement. I did use some duct tape on them and hoping it will hold them together despite the sweat. I am wondering if it is something I am doing or if it is a more common problem. The first pair lasted 5 months and the replacement 7 months. IDK maybe I should see about another replacement - they have another year on the warranty.
    52dn3099a8oj.jpeg