June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    The thing I like best about running in the morning is knowing that, whatever else the day has in store for me, I've gotten that one thing done. It puts a shine on my whole day from the beginning.

i really really wish i could get myself into morning running. i just can't do it. idk why. it does increase my hypersomnia which is why i stopped but i was a much more consistent runner when i went in the morning
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo that is fantastic news about your dad!

@Tramboman I love your posts and your consistency and I always will.

Today is Global Running Day

Heck. Yes.

I looked into Skratch and can't do it. It's made with milk. :( So now I'm looking for the best deals on Maurten since I already know and love it - I haven't tried tailwind. Maybe I should try it.

I am also wondering at what point I need to consider new shoes again. My miles during the week are usually from walking and not in my running shoes, but my long runs just keep getting longer and I want to make sure I'm ready when the time comes.... This actually sounds like I just want new shoes. That's probably the truest thing.

On reading: If you haven't read it, go read "Talking to Strangers." It's timely. It's important.

On morning running: I set my alarm for 4am every day. I don't get up until 5:30. I want to be a morning running person - but I think I am either overworked, too tired, underslept, or maybe I don't want it bad enough yet. Could b all of the above.

Really, I'm babbling. My legs are still sore and healing and I haven't decided on what I'll run for the Uncanceled Project 2 this week. The theme is community. So important, especially right now.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 Oh, I didn't realize Skratch had milk - it's out for me too then.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 – 4
    6/2 – 5
    6/3 - 4

13 of 100 miles

Got a phone call last night that since our numbers of COVID19 are going up again we are not allowed back to work. I don’t see where that is true, but Big Brother said they are, so okay I’ll stay home at least another 2 weeks.

@pfprimo I got my run in today for Global Running day. It’s usually a big thing here since we have Fleet Feet up the street with a race with medals and great prizes. But this year it’s virtual, only $10 to sign up and you get a $15 credit at FF so that’s good. Saw your run, great job!

Thanks @quilteryoyo. Good new on Dad.

Those are cool @rheddmobile thanks

@marisap2010 change in weather? Stress? With all that’s going on in the world right now, stress even if you don’t actually feel it is definitely a factor

@mbaker566 interesting choice you have there.

@Teresa502 that looks glorious! I have that travel and vacation thing happening too. I’m almost at the cap where they will stop giving me vacation time. I’m like you all don’t want to screw with me anymore on vacation time, I have lost 4 days of vacation with a change they made this year. How do you take vacation from someone who has worked for you for 33 years is BEYOND me.

@kgirlhart I’m with you no loose dogs. I’m watching my friend’s dog for her now I have 3 at my house. My boss said I better get back to the office the dogs in my house keep multiplying.

@janejellyroll great attitude and so true!

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June - Sept
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach

• Camaramandy648
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 Oh, I didn't realize Skratch had milk - it's out for me too then.

I'm not sure they all do, but it has whole milk as one of the first ingredients on the list. I can't do whole milk. It causes me all kinds of problems in so many ways.
  • mbaker566
    Options

the recovery versions have milk. the gu/chews have tapioca. but the basic powders are vegan from what i understand of the limitations
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

MIlk? I do not see milk in the ingredients

https://www.skratchlabs.com/products/sport-hydration-drink-mix?variant=31854462042183
    Lemon & Lime: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Lemon Oil, Lime Oil, Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

Oranges: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Orange Oil, Potassium Citrate, Orange Juice, Ascorbic Acid.

Matcha & Lemon: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Matcha Green Tea, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Lemon Oil, Lemon Juice, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Contains about 16 mg of naturally occurring caffeine from the Matcha tea (per 16 fl oz.). For comparison, an 8oz cup of coffee has 70-100 mg of caffeine.

Strawberries: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Strawberries, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

Passion Fruit: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Passion Fruit, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

Fruit Punch: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Apricot, Pineapple, Passion Fruit, Tangerine Juice, Raspberry Juice, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Malic Acid.

Strawberry Lemonade: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Strawberry Powder, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Lemon Oil, Potassium Citrate, Lemon Juice, Ascorbic Acid.

Where did you see that?
  • Camaramandy648
    Options

https://www.skratchlabs.com/products/sport-hydration-drink-mix?variant=31854462042183
    Lemon & Lime: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Lemon Oil, Lime Oil, Lemon Juice, Lime Juice, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

Oranges: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Orange Oil, Potassium Citrate, Orange Juice, Ascorbic Acid.

Matcha & Lemon: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Matcha Green Tea, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Lemon Oil, Lemon Juice, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C). Contains about 16 mg of naturally occurring caffeine from the Matcha tea (per 16 fl oz.). For comparison, an 8oz cup of coffee has 70-100 mg of caffeine.

Strawberries: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Strawberries, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

Passion Fruit: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Passion Fruit, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).

Fruit Punch: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Potassium Citrate, Apricot, Pineapple, Passion Fruit, Tangerine Juice, Raspberry Juice, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Malic Acid.

Strawberry Lemonade: Cane Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Strawberry Powder, Magnesium Lactate, Calcium Citrate, Lemon Oil, Potassium Citrate, Lemon Juice, Ascorbic Acid.

Where did you see that?

@PastorVincent HOLD THE PHONE! I AM WRONG!

It's the recovery mix. I'm a total space cadet.

https://www.skratchlabs.com/products/sport-recovery-drink-mix?variant=42707389893
  • mbaker566
    Options
    looking at that list of ingredients i'm liking the idea of using Skratch even more
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    Okay so here's what the people at the running store told me about why Maurten as opposed to other things:

You don't have to drink water with them in order for them to absorb correctly/ efficiently. Obviously, you should drink water at the intervals that work for you, but you're not wasting money if you don't have water at the same time as you consume the maurten

True? False? Thoughts?
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Where did you see that?

@PastorVincent HOLD THE PHONE! I AM WRONG!

It's the recovery mix. I'm a total space cadet.

https://www.skratchlabs.com/products/sport-recovery-drink-mix?variant=42707389893

Ah yes. The recovery mix is a waste of money, IMO. Its essentially fake powder chocolate milk. I drink the real stuff, it is cheaper :)

So you and @janejellyroll and still try it :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Okay so here's what the people at the running store told me about why Maurten as opposed to other things:

You don't have to drink water with them in order for them to absorb correctly/ efficiently. Obviously, you should drink water at the intervals that work for you, but you're not wasting money if you don't have water at the same time as you consume the maurten

True? False? Thoughts?

Eh. I do not have to drink water with SCaps, ClifBlox, Gummy Bears, or anything OTHER THAN a hydration mix. The only things you NEED water for is to get... well water :)

I like having it in my water cause I have to carry water anyways, so might as well double up what it does.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @janejellyroll @Camaramandy648 @mbaker566

NOTE: MY BIGGEST BEEF WITH SKRATCH - It does not keep. So you pretty much need to make it just before you use it (not a big deal) and drink it all or dump it. They said you have to treat it like real fruit juice, and if left out for a full day needs to be dumped. You can refrigerate it for several days though.

I have had to dump more than one full hydration pack when a run got canceled. My Propel Zero does not have nearly that short of a safe life. Here is their exact words:

Hey Vincent,

Because Skratch doesn't have any preservatives of any kind, our drink mix needs a little bit of TLC. Once added to water, a good rule of thumb is to treat it like fruit juice. After mixing, it is ideal to drink it within the day and can be consumed warm without lessening its efficacy. If mixed and then kept in the fridge it will stay good for up to 5 days. You will know when you have let it hang around in your bottle too long, it will smell a little bit funky and your inner voice will tell you "don't drink that". Listen to your inner voice 😉
    Additionally, dry drink mix should be stored in a cool, dry place either in its zip-top bag or in any other airtight glass or plastic container. Extreme heat and direct sunlight are like Kryptonite for Skratch.

Hope that helps, stay well out there!

Joy
    Customer Experience Team
  • mbaker566
    edited June 2020
    Options

True? False? Thoughts?

outside wrote an article

and i would think fluids are important. water or otherwise.
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman & @skippygirlsmom thanks for providing your daily updates. I'm working towards a 100 mile month perhaps by the end of the year, just trying to be cautious as I can be prone to overuse injury if I ramp up too quick. While you both are logging miles on a daily basis, I'll be interested to see how you space apart the longer runs, or if you plan to stick with a daily average that has you arrive at your goal by the last day of the month. I'm always trying to learn from others, and you both (as well as @PastorVincent and others in this group/challenge) have a lot of good info & inspiration to offer. Thanks and good luck!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @pfprimo I used to log high mileage between 160-180 a month but got hurt, like surgery hurt ha ha so I'm just coming back to running. I don't recommend running every day, your body needs to rest and heal from running regardless of how easy or carefree it may feel (my opinion). I've been running daily because I'm in a couple virtual races (like going 380 miles before Labor Day and there's people in the "race" I want to beat there) which I know is stupid. That all being said, (1) I'm taking a rest day tomorrow and may just walk because my daughter is yelling at me that she can see it affecting my gait to be tired and sore and (2) to answer your question I try to do long runs on Sundays and that is only because that is the day my daughter does hers so we go somewhere together to do that. When at my peak performance I would do maybe a 10 - 12 miler on Sunday and a 3 or 4 miler on Saturday just to keep the legs moving with normal 6 mile run on Friday (I used to run between 6-8 miles a day during the week). I usually always take at least 1 rest day, Wednesdays and I pick that day very scientifically, because it's garbage day and I can't stand the smell of the cans when I run by them in my neighborhood. See lots of science there. Yes if I go passed by goal I just keep running. Last month I more than doubled my 50 mile goal, stupid, see number (1) of my reply ha ha.

There are so many very smart, smarter than I am here, so ask questions and you'll get great advice and answers.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    pfprimo wrote: »
    @Tramboman & @skippygirlsmom thanks for providing your daily updates. I'm working towards a 100 mile month perhaps by the end of the year, just trying to be cautious as I can be prone to overuse injury if I ramp up too quick. While you both are logging miles on a daily basis, I'll be interested to see how you space apart the longer runs, or if you plan to stick with a daily average that has you arrive at your goal by the last day of the month. I'm always trying to learn from others, and you both (as well as @PastorVincent and others in this group/challenge) have a lot of good info & inspiration to offer. Thanks and good luck!

I tend to do 200+ miles a month, but doing so PT right now so milage is down.

In general, the rule of thumb for a runner with some mileage under their belt:

2-3 mid-range runs a week
    1 long run a week
    at most 1 workout run a week.
    a couple of rest days a week

Do a cut back week ever 3 or 4 weeks, and increase distance by 10% a week at most.

Listen to your body and stop if something hurts in a bad way.
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

True? False? Thoughts?

outside wrote an article

and i would think fluids are important. water or otherwise.

@mbaker566 heh. So basically I'm fine to try a cheaper brand because there may be very little difference. I do drink water on my runs, but there are water fountains along the trails and paths, so I rarely carry anything. Okay, so trying skratch. It's seriously half the price of maurten.

@PastorVincent you may not realize this but you are a trend setter.