Would you consider liposuction for those pockets of fat that don't vanish?

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
This is something I'm considering since I found out it's not all that expensive. I have two super annoying accumulations of fat on my body that don't react to weight loss at all.

a) around my ankles. Thought it was encapsulated hematomas and scar tissues from spraining my ankles far too many times. After scan doc is certain it's more like lipomas. I won't do anything against that as the risk of damaging my tendons and other stuff in my feet is too big, and removing it might destabilize my feet even more - even though I can't wear boots as the pressure is very uncomfortably.

b) upper inner thighs. It just sits there and was exactly the same when I was underweight for a while while the rest of my legs would be thin-ish. Apart from having what looks like squishy XL tennis balls between my thighs it's also uncomfortable when cycling, wearing padded cycling pants, wearing a safety belt that goes through the inside thighs or a harness if I don't always check the fit, etc.

So I made an appointment with two clinics that have a good reputation to discuss the thigh accumulation. But I kind of feel that this is a stupid idea. It's somewhat of a vanity.

Thought? Have yoy done this? Would you consider it?

Replies

• yirara
    Thanks a lot, highly appreciate your input.
    Your thoughts reflect mine quite a bit, also the worry that I might want more one day. But apart from the visual aspects those leg boobs are also super annoying with pretty much everything I do. To be honest, given the choice there's one other thing I would change immediately. But you can't get a slim pelvis bone and a more androgynous body shape :D Thus I kind of embraced my curves many ages ago.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    edited June 2020
    Probably not, but I would consider skin removal. I don't think my stomach will ever "come back," so if after five years of maintenance and if I have one more kid, I might consider skin removal.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    If money was of no concern, yeah, I'd probably consider it. I haven't done any research to know what the risks are though, and would have to know more about that before getting serious about it.

I have had other plastic surgery in the past and don't have any regrets about it. I think any adult who has been well informed of the risk vs reward and has the cash to spare is free to do whatever they like with their bodies. I also think vanity is a perfectly legitimate reason to want to do something. Many people on here are losing weight primarily for aesthetics.
  • clairesbubbe
    clairesbubbe Posts: 18 Member
    I had lipo for saddle bags a while ago. It was the best thing I ever did. Now I'm trying to save money for a tummy tuck. I was 200 lbs in my 9th month with my son. At 35 at the time, the elasticity was gone so I have a lot of extra skin. My abs are tight, so I just need t have the skin removed.
  • yirara
    edited June 2020
    I had lipo for saddle bags a while ago. It was the best thing I ever did. Now I'm trying to save money for a tummy tuck. I was 200 lbs in my 9th month with my son. At 35 at the time, the elasticity was gone so I have a lot of extra skin. My abs are tight, so I just need t have the skin removed.

Oh interesting! Do you see a skin texture/appearance difference between the former saddlebag area and the surrounding area? I could imagine that things might look strange with continued weightloss, or with gain. That's certainly one of the things I will ask.

Mind you, I do have saddlebags (somewhat), but they belong to me. Without them there would only be one vertical line from the top of my pelvis and partway down the leg, which isn't a great look if you have the pelvis of an old mill nag :D . Plus they vanish when I flex my bum muscles :D
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I wouldn't consider it a vanity procedure if the fat deposits are causing you discomfort. I probably wouldn't consider myself unless that becomes more of a concern.

However, one thing that might be a factor for me is the fact that I'm starting to have trouble finding pants that fit; my thighs are large not just because of past weight but due to genetics (my grandmother's side of the family are tall and wide hipped; most of my cousins have the same thing). The thighs are the last place where any weight is lost and its not keeping up with my waist, but I'm finding that as I go down in clothing sizes, pants that fit me in the waist are uncomfortably tight in the legs.
  • George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    Had lipo and tummy tuck in 2011 best thing I ever did but I can become addictive.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    It really depends on you and if you have looked into the risks involved and if it is worth it to you.

For me I would consider less invasive vanity procedures (varicose veins, laser hair removal etc) but there are always some risks and I would say those would be worth it for me down the road.

I have stubborn fat in areas but I don't think lipo would help. Lucky for me I carry my fat in areas where people only see in a bikini or super short shorts so very rarely exposed. If I had the money I would consider trying a cellulite treatment.

Someone above mentioned a comment about fixing one thing then would you find something else to fixate on? That would 100% be me so I also have to be mindful of that.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    I would highly recommend checking out RealSelf. There is tons of reviews and information from plastic surgeons. You can ask questions there as well.

I’ve always been fairly thin but had deposits of fat under my chin (not extremely noticeable but always bothered me) which I had a CoolSculpting/Cryotherapy treatment done on and actually had pretty good results! But like I said there wasn’t much that needed to be removed.
  • yirara
    Thanks a lot all of you. I'm certainly taking all these comment into consideration. I still don't know if I want to do it or not. Apart from the visual aspects these fat accumulations are always in the way of everything and won't go away by themselves. But on the other hand I feel that this is not something I'd normally do. I doubt though that there's a risk of wanting more as the things I'm not happy about are things I can't change. I hate every doctors visit, and I suffer really badly from medical treatments, let alone surgery, thus even considering this makes me question my sanity. I guess it also means that my suffering is strong enough :D
  • yirara
    edited June 2020
    Before going for full blown lipo, I'd try doing a month or two of stubborn fat protocol, if I had a problem spot while already lean. I'd then take a look into cool lipo over traditional because of the recovery time on traditional lip.

Personally, I'm 16 weeks after having loose skin removal - circumferential abdominoplasty - from having been generally morbidly obese most of my life and having maintained relatively lean for 3 years before the consult (4 years now). I didn't actually have lipo with it - I was lean enough without it. I don't see any issue with surgical intervention if something is truly bothering a person and there's no other route for the issue.

Well, I was underweight for a few months. Went back to the weight I feel comfortable. Then regained some weight in a period of depression. It didn't help at all. When underweight my legs around that accumulation were fairly lean (as lean as possible. I store fat at legs and bum) but the thigh boobs were still there in their full beauty. Guess it's one of those accumulations that don't react to dieting. If it wasn't so squishy I would think they are lipomas, as I have quite a few of those. But no, just very annoying fat. Weight training to lose more fat without losing weight is not an option: I"m happy with my current weight because my bones, and especially my wide pelvis bone poke out too much and my face looks happy and full-ish.

With regards to interventions: I guess we're more than 10 years behind here to the US, and maybe the UK. mini liposuction (micro tools) is the newest thing here. No other options available unfortunately.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2020
    As someone that had a huge Lipoma grow on their back and had to have it taken off by a plastic surgeon, heck no. Not much fun at all. And two years after that huge one was taken off, I had another grow up near my neck, just below the shirt line. Not that noticable until I take my shirt off. It's around two inches in diameter and protrudes around an inch off my back. I've had that one for nearly 10 years. It's grown a bit lately and starting to get uncomfortable, but it's also near my spine, so I'm not in any hurry to take that one off.

I'm not a fan of elective surgeries for vanity and I have a very good reason to have a vanity surgery and I'm not doing it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    I don't have experience with it, but I personally generally wouldn't consider plastic surgery unless for a functional problem of some sort (if loose skin was sufficient to be causing chafing or infections, as it can in extreme cases). I'm not a very appearance-concious person, so the risk and unpleasantness of recovery - though pretty minor - wouldn't be worth it, for me. I didn't consider reconstruction after bilateral mastectomies, for example, and have never been sorry (almost 20 years on, now).

I suppose I'd consider reconstructive facial surgery after an accident or something, to stay close to normal appearance, to avoid it being a distraction socially.

That said, if someone else's sense of the risk/reward balance differs, and they want plastic surgery of any sort for appearance reasons, I don't see why that wouldn't be a rational choice, and I wouldn't think ill of them at all. (I admit, I feel a little concern for some friends who have undergone many/multiple procedures in what seems to me to be a somewhat desperate or compulsive pursuit of permanent youth. It's not the surgery that concerns me in those extreme/unusual cases, it's the seeming compulsion and what it may say about their self-image and mental health. Still none of my business, though.)
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I'd love to get my lower stomach fixed.. there's a big pocket of fat that does NOT go away even if I hit bordeline underweight for my height (been there, done that), tho I suspect it's mostly loose skin vs just plain fat. It legit hurts when I work out unless I wear super tight clothes and I've had my skin/the fold under my stomach get painfully inflamed in summer even with super regular showers - it costs too much tho, skin removal is considered cosmetic
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited June 2020
    If it's getting in the way of what you want to do with your body (cycling shorts, climbing harnesses) then it's not vanity to want to have surgical correction on that. I myself will undoubtedly need some skin surgery along with the ab surgery once I finish losing 120 pounds, because I had three large babies in my twenties and even at my weight I have a lot of sagging skin. It drags on my lower back and limits the styles I can wear. But no one will consider doing the work to fix the diastasis rectus abdominus until I've lost the weight. And should I have fat pockets that don't shrink or other floppiness that doesn't tighten, I'll go for surgery on arms or inner thighs or lipo on my lower back, because I want to feel good and look good in my clothes, and I"m tired of living around my body's issues.