Help!! Skinny Husband wont change to healthy meals

Options

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You could cook the meals he loves, have a small portion of it yourself but to help you feel full just make a low calorie salad or veggies to go along with it.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I make fun things still, I just give the majority to my husband. For example, lets say it's pizza night (homemade of course with whole wheat crust). Then dinner is large salad and pizza. I'm getting 1-2 slices of pizza and large salad. He's getting 4-5 pieces of pizza and small salad.

And sometimes he's only getting a healthy meal for dinner. So sad, too bad. I know what that man eats at lunch...and he don't need more of it. Some nights he's just getting vegies.

But,

Also, I do buy him treats of things he likes for dessert...like chocolate or tarts.
  • Adorkable1111
    Options
    Thanks guys, You're all so helpful
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I have to know what a chicken schnitzel is.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    A. he can eat what he wants.

B. He can also cook his own damn food.

As a husband, I endorse this statement.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I will fully admit I am also upset he can eat whatever he wants.

Don't worry, it'll catch up with him, it always does.
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    The journey your on is your choice not his ...

I often make something for my man that is completely different to what I eat.
    I don't see it as a chore because he has different needs to me and I enjoy cooking!

Sometimes its tempting to just cook for him but I'm feeling to damn good to give in to temptation!

I'm slowly introducing some of my foods with his meals, which he is enjoying perhaps you could do the same

little steps :))x
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

No it doesn't always... I know people say this to make to make others feel better, but life can rarely be described in such absolutes.
  • tlzita
    tlzita Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should expect him to change how he eats because of your change. My husband needs to eat a high calorie/ high salt diet due to his cystic fibrosis. I generally end up cooking like 4 dishes for our family and then we get different proportions of the different foods. Like today we had mac and cheese, corn on the cob, watermelon, and pork chops.

He got more M & C, I got more watermelon. Or else I make food for our family and eat salad or soup from a carton. I make sure to get good salad toppings and fancy soups so I want to eat my food instead of the high calorie stuff.

If I make black bean wraps for myself and the kids, I nuke something frozen for my husband. A lot of the bad for you food is really really easy to just microwave in single portions or else he can pick up something for himself from fast food. But I don't think you should expect him to change what he eats unless he wants to.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    While I agree he doesn't have to change just because your on a diet...not every marriage is the same..you married him and along with that I think you knew what kind of man he was and as to the things he expected or desired as with the things you want from him as well ...if he is used to you cooking it will be a hard pill to swallow for him to make his own meals and perhaps you enjoy cooking for your family ..I get that...if that's the case looks like you may have to alter some things for him..if not you are going to need to talk ...communication is key....also sometimes if your not saying how healthy the meal is a hungry man will never know.... :wink:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

No it doesn't always... I know people say this to make to make others feel better, but life can rarely be described in such absolutes.

Really? Every person I know who could 'eat whatever they wanted and never gain' has ended up becoming overweight as they grew older.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,015 Member
    Options
    Try to find ways to make things he likes but make them lower in cals, tacos are great make them with chicken or ground turkey leave the cheese and sour cream off yours, make big salads or fresh melon to ho with every meal and feel up on this limit the breads and feel up on veggies and fruit eating small portions of the main dish, make homemade pizza so you can make it lower in cals and salad of course make turkey burgers and dont add mayonnaise and cheese to yours have fruit with it, I hope this helps
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Really? Every person I know who could 'eat whatever they wanted and never gain' has ended up becoming overweight as they grew older.

I am pretty sure you don't know everyone. I know a lot of people who had an opposite experience than you describe. So no, it doesn't always always catch up to them.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

My husband (so far at age 42), his father, his grandfather. Yup... Sometimes it's true.

Usually you are not taking other things into account. I've slowly come to realize my husband is like a jumping bean in the office that can't sit still. He never eats breakfast, eats a light lunch, eats a normal dinner, then eats everything else in the fridge late at night. Oh well. Evens out for him. He's always been thin.
  • citizenstarr
    citizenstarr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a skinny husband who likes to eat junk food too. He buys frozen dinners and I cook for myself. It works really well for me and he likes not having to eat healthier lol.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    What is this, the 1950's? He's a big boy, if he doesn't like what you're making, tell him to make his own damn meals.

YEP... try to make some much healthier versions of exactly the foods he likes too. Instead of just trying to switch him from pizza to salads.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What is this, the 1950's? He's a big boy, if he doesn't like what you're making, tell him to make his own damn meals.

Pretty much this- without the damn though :)
  • citizenstarr
    citizenstarr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is another issue and something that you will deal with in a lot of situations when you change your lifestyle. You might have friends or kids or relatives who are the same way. It's not their fault or their skills that make their metabolism that way. It's just the way they were born. Worry about yourself.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'3" and a long distance runner. His easy day is 5 miles. He needs calories to fuel his runs and his on his feet job. So I make foods that work for him and our sons and I just eat smaller protions. Or I eat a salad. If its a low cal meal he eats a PB&J or two on top of it. Nothing to get hung up about.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    A. he can eat what he wants.

B. He can also cook his own damn food.

Yup. I've started reworking my food, which means eating more veggies and lean protein. My husband HATES vegetables, so most nights we're on our own. We're also extremely different build wise, so our caloric needs are drastically different anyway.