Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help!! Skinny Husband wont change to healthy meals

Replies

• My husband is skinny as a rake I pretty much eat the same meals as him I am slowly losing weight but the difference is I give myself smaller portions and I weigh my portions out so that way I don't go over with my calories its simple
  • If he's medically healthy, there's no reason for him to change, but it sounds like he's eating a lot of foods which are murder on the cholesterol levels and hard on the heart. Has he gotten his cholesterol tested lately? If you really want him to change, that might be a good place to start.

Being "skinny" on the outside doesn't mean he doesn't have fat packed around his organs. I would put money on him having excess fat between and around his organs, which can mean that despite being "healthy" weight, according to the BMI charts, and skinny as a rail, means that he's not actually healthy, and can have many of the same health risks you have at your weight.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    One thing he may want to consider that being thin does not necessarily equate to being healthy. Pack your body full of shyte constantly and your health will suffer in the long-term, whether you're fat or thin. He may be thin but that doesn't mean he can't end up diabetic, with heart disease or any of the other diseases in which poor diet play a big part.

However, that being said that if he doesn't want any part of healthy eating then you can't make him - but what you *can* do is sort your own meals out and leave him to do the same rather than double your workload.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    9fwhg2.jpg
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    He's going to be in for a whole world of health problems when he's older if he doesn't eat properly now. My brother eats practically the same way and is the same weight as me (126lbs) except he near 6ft tall. Brittle bones, high cholesterol, heart problems are all part of that lovely package.

The general rule for me and my boyfriend (he can't cook so I do it all) is if I'm making the food, I make what I like if he sticks his nose up at it he can choose whther to eat it or go make his own, which he has never done to this day despite moaning about a few things I've made.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Thanks guys... I think Im going to have to start eating really small portions of the meals that could counter effect my weight loss, and maybe try smoothies or something for dinner on the days I don't want to eat what he does at all...

I wont stop making him supper, because I do like to cook and provide meals for him after work, I just dont think ill be cooking two things anymore.. seems redundant and messy :S

Well, then, don't complain. This is a choice you're making.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    why don't you just eat less of what you both like?
  • rml_16
    I will fully admit I am also upset he can eat whatever he wants.

Don't worry, it'll catch up with him, it always does.

No it doesn't always... I know people say this to make to make others feel better, but life can rarely be described in such absolutes.
    No kidding.

My SO is 41. He eats fast food, goes through a gallon of ice cream in two days and struggles to keep weight on.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

No it doesn't always... I know people say this to make to make others feel better, but life can rarely be described in such absolutes.
    No kidding.

My SO is 41. He eats fast food, goes through a gallon of ice cream in two days and struggles to keep weight on.

LOL i swear you people are hilarious...you create a thread complaining about having to cook two different meals and then just decide "oh well, I will do it anyway"...here is a tip ..if you are cooking, just cook whatever you want and plop it down on the plate..if he does not want it, then he can go to mcdonalds....My mom would never take some crap like that from my dad....
  • rml_16

No kidding.

LOL i swear you people are hilarious...you create a thread complaining about having to cook two different meals and then just decide "oh well, I will do it anyway"...here is a tip ..if you are cooking, just cook whatever you want and plop it down on the plate..if he does not want it, then he can go to mcdonalds....My mom would never take some crap like that from my dad....

"You people"???

One person started this thread and nothing that you quoted has anything to do with your criticism.

You people are so funny.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I am very upset and I dont know what to do lately.. I am very interested in becoming healthy and losing weight, however my husband does not like "that stuff" (kinds of food) He is happy eating chicken schnitzel, pizza, burgers, and tacos because he likes it, however, he is 120 lbs and never gains a thing. He can eat whatever he wants and always tells me that I am eating wierd things.

That wouldnt be a problem, until I go to make supper. I end up having to make two different meals, one for myself and one for him,. If I do not eat something entirely different than I will gain weight with what he is eating.. Please help me, I dont know if i should continue making seperate meals or what I should do, i have already told him i need support and that he should eat healthier but he does not see the value in eating differently as he does not gain weight.. He must feel like I dont do anything seeing how I weigh so much more than him... He also says he loves me the way I am, but when i work out tells me to keep up the good work, im so confused

I dont really even know what im asking of you guys, just maybe wondering if anyone has any suggestions..

I'll cook for your husband. He's got great taste in food. Or...........lighten up! Eat the food, and stop pretending that certain foods are "unhealthy."
  • WendyTerry420

Do you have allergies or GI issues?
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Simple solution. Make only ONE meal and if he doesn't eat it he knows where the kitchen is. You aren't running a restaurant and you are not a servant.

References: Married mother of 4.
  • WendyTerry420
    I have to know what a chicken schnitzel is.

It's a crumbed/breaded chicken fillet that is usually fried.

Sounds like what we called "chicken fried steak." I make that for my husband. It's one of his favorites. I fix it with mashed potatoes and gravy and some green beans. It's about a 1000 calorie dinner, but I make room for it from time to time. Sometimes I make it with pork or cubed beef.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Quit whining and cook for your man.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    It's not just you and your husband. There are two children involved and you do the cooking for them as well. Yeah, the youngest won't be on people food for a couple of years, but I do think you need to talk with your husband and say that as the family cook, you are responsible for the dietary health of the whole family including the children. You want to raise your children with food habits that will get them on track for healthier lives with lower chances of THEM struggling with obesity.

Now past that, certainly there are compromises that can be made. He shouldn't live forever without his fave foods, so those become part of the cooking repertoire at times. On those nights, you make your big meal for the day be lunch and just have a protein bar or shake for dinner. Other nights you are cooking for the health of the whole family and he has to cope.

I'm not trying to be anti-feminist here, but if the division of labor in the household is that he earns the paycheck and you do the housework, it's not entirely fair to tell him, just cook your own dinners.Nor is it fair for him to expect the whole family to eat unhealthily because HE likes to.

Now of course you say there are other issues, that you actually like cooking his food and just resent his ability to chow down on them. But it IS important to develop household habits that are good for your kid.
  • WendyTerry420
    I know you have a lot of people saying you can eat whatever you want, just eat a smaller portion. But if you end up with 2 bites of food at each meal, your stomach will be growling within an hour. I can't presume I have enough info to give marital advice, but the way I handled when trying to lose baby weight 10 years ago was I cooked a meal when my oldest daughter was home. When she went to her dad's, I did not cook supper. My husband was on his own. I made a huge bowl of salad that would last 2 or 3 meals ahead of time, and come supper, I made it clear, "I'm on a diet and just having this tossed salad I made earlier today. You're welcome to have some of this, or you can find something else you prefer." And that was that. He was never selfish enough to ask me to get up and cook a dinner just for him. He was very supportive.

Two bites of food? Really? Just eat your salad and be sad.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    and we're both 23, I know its going to hit him hard soon but he doesn't yet believe it lol.

I mean...you're both super young and both of you work so...why can't you guys just cook separately?
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Without even bothering to read the other responses I'm going to say this:

He is not a child. He can make is own dinner if he won't eat the one you make. End of story.
  • WendyTerry420
    My hubby was sort of like that... but I started making healthier meals and just didn't tell him. LOL He never noticed.

I do this too. I call it sneaky, nutrient additions. I pulverize veggies and add them to sauces and meatloaf and such. No one has noticed yet that I've been adding veggies to their food. Interestingly, my picky son commented on my last spaghetti sauce of how he liked the flavor, but couldn't quite figure out why it was different. :laugh: :wink: