WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Debbie How will your winter mask differ from the summer? Have you tried using elastic hair loops for going over the ears? I found them easier than sewing in elastic. For myself, I love my neck choker design that pulls up for a mask. It hides my ugly long scarred neck and gives warmth for cool weather. It requires 4 way 80 nylon/20 spandex that would be too expensive for selling and trying to make a dollar. I recently cut slots for each ear so I don't have to pull up over the back of my head. Now just pull up the front and put slot opening over the ears. Not terribly attractive but sure beats that one that Tommy Copper sells.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Mask Makers A young lady on ESTY makes these and I want one badly, but they are $64 each and I would need at least four different colors. Four is out of my budget and my eyes not good enough to tackle such a project, so I must just dream on. I think this would be such a nice top under a jacket for cool weather. It speaks to me! For me a bra, a top, and a mask!
    xw29rqx2c0fz.jpg
    ahmpmji4gbxy.jpg

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Was in the pool and it started to rain so I got out. Now the sun is out.

Katla – the pb in Reeses cups is a pb paste. Mars (this was maybe 30-35 years ago) had a product called PB Max. Now this was real peanut butter. Vince said it was real real good. The problem came in when the oil would separate from the peanut butter over time. Over time the oil would seep out onto the wrapper. Of course, this made the wrapper look terrible. So Mars pulled the product from the shelves. If you notice, the “pb” in Reeses doesn’t separate.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,980 Member
    Options
    Debbie How will your winter mask differ from the summer? Have you tried using elastic hair loops for going over the ears? I found them easier than sewing in elastic. For myself, I love my neck choker design that pulls up for a mask. It hides my ugly long scarred neck and gives warmth for cool weather. It requires 4 way 80 nylon/20 spandex that would be too expensive for selling and trying to make a dollar. I recently cut slots for each ear so I don't have to pull up over the back of my head. Now just pull up the front and put slot opening over the ears. Not terribly attractive but sure beats that one that Tommy Copper sells.

I don't do the ones over the ears unless special request(did two today) because many were complaining about ears getting sore.
    The fall/winter ones will use a little thicker fabric- I did make a knit one that husband says is great when he is working in the walk in freezer at work. During the summer even the regular cotton ones he complains are too thick so made some that are lighter weight.
    I am only selling the masks for $5 or $6(velcro are 6 because use twice as much fabric and velcro is more expensive) so can't go buy the expensive fabric and make any money- I have given away quite a few and traded for a few- didn't plan on selling any but has been a nice added bonus- originally planned on using the money to take my machine in for a deep cleaning but think I was able to do that myself-working great now. Over 200 made so far.

Debbie
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Barbara - that is it! Thank you! Happy to read that Joe’s eyes are improving!

Machka - sorry to read your tooth broke. I had to get a crown last year and even with the incredible benefits I have through work I had to pay 400+ out of pocket.

Margaret - Hugs to you my friend, I agree most people don’t know what to say and in their eagerness to try to help they make the person struggling feel worse.

I have a friend who helped raise her nephew, she was lost when he passed. She was single at the time. She and I worked together, there were a lot of nights for months afterward that I would invite her for supper, she would come for supper and just sit on my couch in the evenings. Sometimes we would visit and her would let her lead the conversation but more often than not she just sat there and enjoyed having someone near. Years later she told me that me just sitting with her and allowing her to express her feelings when she felt like it and didn’t force conversations when she didn’t was the best thing I could have done for her.

Rebecca - my Grandson has recently decided that peanut butter and honey is a favourite sandwich.
    He makes his sister toast every morning, so they can “sneak” in some tablet time before their Mom wakes up. They think they’re being quiet and that my daughter doesn’t hear them. She lets them believe that and let’s them think they’re getting away with something. She actually hears the argument every morning, “Michaela, you don’t need butter with peanut butter, it has butter in the name it’s already in there.” He then gives in and gives her butter and peanut butter complaining the whole time. 😂

Lisa - I don’t use fabric softener either, I found the smell overpowering in most of them. I’m also cheap and cheap and don’t like spending money on something that I don’t feel is necessary.

Yvonne - thanks for the information about a swell buoy. I like watching the Property Brothers too, and even though they are twins I like Jonathan better.

Coffee Talk - we use a Keurig but use the refillable pod for it, it works best for us because my husband couldn’t drink a whole pot when he gets up in the middle of the night. By the time I’m up he has had all the coffee he wants. My In laws drink Maxwell House instant coffee, when she came for our daughters wedding last year she brought a bottle with her as she was scared she wouldn’t be able to find it out here in the Wild West.

Katla - I love peanut butter cups too. like you I don’t buy them myself, but my family will sometimes show up with a “treat” for me.

Michele - I’m going to ignore that about the PB not being real. If I know how something is made I generally won’t eat it again.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    Ppppp
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Note to self ,dont drink ice tea at 6 pm thinking your going to go to sleep lol. So here i am...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,943 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    And they are up! Kirby Schlotterback medals are the “always earned never given” and mine are the “my wall of fame”. They went in the spare bedroom where the bike trainer is. I thought about putting them somewhere in the living room, but it looked like it was getting too over crowded. More medals to come for sure.
    kbk39o5lcz9v.jpeg

Nice!

And well done!

I have to figure out what to do with all my and my husband's cycling medals. They don't have ribbons so I think they'll have to be put into a clear "pocket" and mounted.

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: follow up email to SDAO re ABN registry, transplanted artichoke, lettuce and mustard starts, bean, beit alpha, sowed snow peas.
    Bonus: beach walk with Joe and the dogs, public notice proof and invoice to bookkeeper and board,
    Get to do: take pics of car, transplant mystery tomatoes, peppers, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, start baking cookies for visit, BB&B, declutter sideboard, Monday: Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.
    Altruistic August
    29: plan a future community project or gathering. Umph. Fire prevention week?

Cell phone rang while we were on the way back from the beach. Saw the Medford Surgeon’s number and let it go to voicemail.
    Was “gearing up” practicing my outrage at what I expected to be the reason for their call, that they were looking for Joe to come in for an appointment that was supposed to have been cancelled. Somewhere along the lane between the road and our drive a little mindfulness angel whispered in my ear “Why don’t you just wait and listen to what they want?” Breathing slowed, temperature dropped, teeth unclenched. When I played the voicemail, turned out they just wanted to confirm Joe’s correct Monday appointment and ask him the required Covid-19 questions. So thankful for that little angel!

Katla Whew! Glad it’s just wear and tear on your helmet, and not cracked from any mishap! I can leave the Reese’s peanut butter cups alone, but Trader Joe’s mini dark chocolate peanut butter cups simply leap into my mouth and force my teeth to chomp down. Chomp chomp yum!
    Machka hope you can get your tooth repaired faster this time.
    Margaret double check is now my middle name. Sorry your brother and nieces hurt you. You are right to protect yourself and your DH. ((hugs))
    Lisa I use vinegar in the final rinse instead of fabric softener. Works great, no greasy feeling, and cheap! ;)
    Pip never realized the San Joaquin was so clear and beautiful. :love: All those medals, Bravissima!
    Welcome back Linda from N. Ontario! What help do you need? Shoulder, ear or boot?
    Faye ((hugs))
    Karen in VA 2 months seems like a long time to wait for testing. Do you already have a follow appointment for her results or will you have to wait even longer?
    Rebecca, Cheri, Carol, Debbie PB and Butter, nope. Mama used to do that but it made me :sick:. PB and Honey, yes! Now I’m hungry for pb&honey with my evening apple. Thanks a lot! :devil:
    Vicki ((hugs))
    Allie, don’t tell me you finally really got your license renewed? Do you have it in your hand? :lol:
    Tracey, my last crown cost me US$1350, thank goodness for CareCredit’s no interest if paid in 6 months plan.

Now I’m off to apple and bed, with or without pb and honey, depending.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=Tue: 1890, Wed: 5506  vits=25.5 log=26 CI<CO=16 CI<250<CO=8 Tumble & Shadow 5=16 mfp=18 outside=9 up hill=6
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=10-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=5 20for20=
    bonus: AF=15 play= sew=
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Nite ladies

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Pip: You and Kirby have more medals than I have ever seen in one place. WOW!!! :star:

Tracy in Edmonton: Add me to the list of friends who don’t use a fabric softener. :wink:

Faye: I loved watching the Anne of Green Gables series. :smiley: Thanks for the clarification of the Reece’s Peanutbutter Cup ingredients. :star:

I’m ready for rest. It has been a good day, even with the refrigerator issue. We’ve ordered a replacement part and hope it will be here by the time the repairman gets through his list and it is our turn. Meanwhile the refrigerator is working well enough to get by for now. The freezer and ice maker are not working as they should but we are okay for now.

Food is staying cool enough. We have tucked frozen meats into other freezers.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding peanut butter, peanuts, etc. .... I stopped eating all that back in the early 1990s when I discovered that peanuts, peas and similar were the main cause of agonisingly painful bloating and cramping.

It has been nearly 30 years since I spread margarine, then peanut butter, then honey on a piece of bread and ate it. I loved doing that! I had that sort of peanut butter sandwich just about every day when I came home from work. But felt so much better when I stopped ... and I lost weight too.

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Barbara - the price of dental work is insane! My benefits paid 1200 towards my crown, the 400 I paid was what benefits wouldn’t cover.

Katla - welcome to the club!
  • Machka9
    Options
    Barbara - the price of dental work is insane! My benefits paid 1200 towards my crown, the 400 I paid was what benefits wouldn’t cover.

Katla - welcome to the club!

If I go the route I would like to with this tooth: root canal, crown and mouth guard ... my insurance may cover a bit of the root canal, but I'll be looking at at least $2000 for the rest of the bill.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    I feel as if I didn’t sleep all night, though I know that can't be true. I managed to stay in bed and 'meditate', but I didn't really drift off. DH was reading his Kindle for a while in the middle of the night.
    Got up at 5.30 and I'm in the next room. Just heard DH going to the loo so I might make our cup of tea a bit earlier.
    I'm sure I slept more than I think I did, but it's annoying.

I will try to get out for a run today. The weather has been very showery and chilly recently. Definitely autumn approaching. Supposed to be better today. At least the unpredictable weather keeps the beach crowds away.
    It's a bank holiday weekend over here. Not seeing anyone or doing anything. Hope to see the family mid week when the weather improves, so we can stay in the garden. The covid numbers are going up locally, though still low, and they go back to school the following week, so will see them even less. Roll on the vaccine!

Might share a pizza tonight. The local one is not as good as Fatto a Mano, as it's not wood fired, but it a decent near thing. I am so tired of cooking every night. Since lockdown started I have had one lunch outside with a girlfriend and two takeaway pizzas for us. Haven't been anywhere I can't walk to. Only shared that one meal. Trouble is, my food is so much better than any takeaway! If we do share a pizza I will make a big, dressed, green salad and a nice tomato salad.

Love from Heather, going a bit stir crazy after a sleepless night in Hove. UK

Xxxxxxxx