WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Katla - I bought the Magnesium L-Threonate (Magtein) on Amazon. There are many manufacturers. I think Dr. Mercola sells it and has info about it. I'd imagine a well-stocked healthfood store would have it and maybe a store like Fred Meyer. It's spendy, one reason I started taking just one. I also take a Magesium lysinate glycinate chelate - this one is super cheap, also from Amazon.

Anyhow, these 2 magnesiums and 2 mg melatonin and I'm out like a light for at least 6 hours, which I consider good!

Pip- what a nice area! So much fun stuff and Kirby walking Yogi makes me think of what your old neighborhood must have been like with the nice little houses and green lawns.

Faye - you are an awesome storyteller and illustrator!

I've about had it with these masks.
    ... I can't talk in them, they get soggy so quickly and I'm constantly pulling them out of my mouth and they stick to my lips, I'm talking both cloth and surgical.. With allergies my oxygen level sometimes registers 96 and below and with the heat I feel like I'm suffocating. The glasses fogging is the worst. If I really pinch the nose clip down, I can't breathe through my nose and glasses still fog a bit, especially with the cold weather in the mornings when I shop. And the nose clip rubs the skin beneath my eyes so every couple minutes I'm yanking that @^*$) down.

My solution has been to just take off my glasses and wander around the stores like Mr. Magoo, nor simply pull it below my nose. I get so frustrated. I almost hope some mask police makes a comment and I swear I'll "accidentally" crash into them with my cart. :s

I do have an idea for a different type of cloth mask though and will work on it tomorrow, I think I can make it work.

I noticed some of the cashiers at Walmart are now wearing mouth shield type masks that barely cover their mouths, similar to this:https://www.amazon.com/MOTOTEKS-Restaurant-Protection-Protective-Environmental/dp/B086VR7N5J/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=mask+face+shield+chin+for+virus+protection&qid=1598565276&sr=8-6

WA State has a "face covering" mandate in place and apparently these qualify. I wish I could find a place locally and just buy one to try it out. I see there are also these things: https://www.amazon.com/Internal-Silicone-Lipstick-Protector-Accessories/dp/B08DKPHZWP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1FO5U4XS4RKCP&dchild=1&keywords=lipstick+mask+protector&qid=1598565713&sprefix=lipstick+mask,aps,248&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTVM0Mk1FNU9BUjM2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzc1OTMwMTgwSllTMlc0R0U1RiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTY3MTg0NldLRk9FN0RKOTcxJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They come in various styles. Again, I don't want to spend $$ for something that might not work. I'm searching around the house for some soft bendable plastic that I could jerry-rig into something similar. I'll check the drugstores next time I'm in town and see if they have them. My concern is the ability to talk and my glasses.

Can't wait for this madness to be over!!!

Hornet update - the survivors are busy building a nest in the greenhouse which I'll remove tonight or early tomorrow morning. I see some nests high up on the shop eaves, not in anyone's way with their comings and goings, and they are welcome to call that home.

That's a wrap. <3

Lanette B)
    Sunny and warm SW WA State

THANK YOU!!! for the link for the lipstick/mask/guard!!! I had just seen them on TV- sending the link now to my husband- he has 3 3D printers. He has the file to make the little valves that people are putting in masks- I want the ones you showed!!
    Thanks again!! I have made over 200 masks- changing design/(some tie behind the head with ribbon some with elastic and some wrap all the way to the back of the head and fasten with velcro. The only one that I like is one of the first ones that I used ribbon for the tie- It is loose enough so it is easy to breath in.
    I will let you know if he finds the file and can make these.

Debbie
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've been working nights so have not been active here - tonight is my last night to work nights, then next week I begin on days.... am recording my food and exercise daily though. No major slips so far.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,488 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well:
    Bonus: played in the dirt, weeded a bit, prepped for transplants
    Get to do: transplant lettuces, mustards, artichokes, beit alpha, bean, plant snow peas, BB&B, take pics of car, declutter sideboard, start baking cookies for visit, follow up email to SDAO re ABN registry, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.
    Altruistic August
    27: notice and try to brighten someone who’s down: chat with Russ.

By the time I got outside, moved some pots around, pulled a few weeds and figured out where I wanted to put the starts, it was too hot, 95 in the shade of our front porch! Oh that Chetco effect. Will get an earlier start tomorrow.

Joe is really feeling better. Said it was worth all the trouble to be able to see all the poles down the power line easement. He’s hopeful the Surgeon will pat him on the head Monday and say β€œYou’re ok, we’re done!” Fingers X’d pressure is down and stays down.

Rita sorry to hear of your asthma attack. It’s hard to escape bad air. Loved the days and yes I was stringing the first four together with the β€œlady church”… ;) Amazing pic of the dragonfly complete with wing shadows.
    Kim great news about your hug reservoir and the declining temps.
    Katla would you remind me how your helmet was broken? Great advice to @dietingright. I’d add weigh more than measure, it was astonishing to me how scant a tablespoon portion is when weighed.
    Welcome @dietingright and @montinacrosby. Barbie starts this thread fresh every month, watch for the link on the 31st.
    Vicki hoping the first rx you eliminate is the magic one to stop the hives.
    Yvonne I remember those scarved pink plastic rollers :lol: Your paletas sound great.
    Tracey was this it? Rori :brokenheart:
    Pip just love all the pics! Which river?
    Heather do those burly men wear kilts? :love:
    Machka guilty of most of those procrastinating strategies, except the delegator ;)
    Lanette Wasps, maybe, but hornets? :noway: Owww! What was the Creator thinking when manifesting hornets (and mosquitoes). SMH! When Joe’s surgeries are all done and I can stop self-isolating, this is what I want to wear for line dancing: Karen in VA you sure can put a positive spin on post-anesthesia cognitive deficit. Sending healing comforting vibes both to your spouse and you. When is the testing scheduled?
    Lisa Oww! Please take it easy until you’re completely recovered.
    Faye β€œWarrior Woman” truth that! No neuralgia for Joe, thanks be. Only meds he takes are for cholesterol and high blood pressure. He doesn’t complain but was obviously suffering. Thank Goodness his eye pain has completely eased since the needle in eye to drain and new meds. So glad they finally figured out you had glaucoma and that the drops keep your pressure down to 10. Hoping the same for Joe.
    Julie sounds like a productive day. Safe travels!
    Margaret bank accounts and credit cards being hacked? Haven’t you been through enough? Sending restful restorative vibes, and hugs.
    @charsuzy No major slips is great! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and generally where you are?

Dogs have been barking like crazy. Joe just remembered he left some beef jerky and mixed nuts in the van in preparation for his trip. He’s decided to bring them in so as not to lure the bears…

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=Tue: 1890, Wed: 5506  vits=25.5 log=26 CI<CO=16 CI<250<CO=8 Tumble & Shadow 5=16 mfp=18 outside=9 up hill=6
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=10-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=5 20for20=
    bonus: AF=15 play= sew=
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara: My riding helmet is hard outside but has a bit if padding inside. There is a good amount of cushion inside. The inside cushioning is good & I've got a chinstrap. Some of the inside cushioning is showing its age. A new helmet will provide better safety.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Do you use the Pomodoro Technique?

I'm continuing the seminar on procrastination and this technique has been presented.

This is the main site for the Pomodoro Technique ...
    https://francescocirillo.com/pages/pomodoro-technique

Quoting from Wikipedia ...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique

There are six steps in the original technique:

1. Decide on the task to be done.
    2. Set the pomodoro timer (traditionally to 25 minutes).
    3. Work on the task.
    4. End work when the timer rings and put a checkmark on a piece of paper.
    5. If you have fewer than four checkmarks, take a short break (3–5 minutes) and then return to step 2; otherwise continue to step 6.
    6. After four pomodoros, take a longer break (15–30 minutes), reset your checkmark count to zero, then go to step 1.

Some variations include:

• Work in 90 minute time periods. Rather than a 25 minute focus period, work in 90 minute blocks. This reflects a natural concentration cycle.
    • Work in natural time periods. There may be natural time markers in one's life: for example, the period between meetings, or the time until one's kids or partner come home, or the time until the dishwasher finishes. Use these to define focus periods.
    • Monitor periods of naturally high productivity, and from this data work out the best productivity system.

Is this something that has worked for you to get things done?

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited August 2020
    Options
    A full 30 days of exercise!! At last ... some consistency!

ctqbzz7v6szj.png

6un6a93qpcww.png

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    It's Friday, ladies! <3

Barbara - glad Joe's eye is on the mend and he's regaining eyesight. Whew! :) I never thought to look on Etsy for face shields and masks, I like that one attached to a bucket hat.

Debbie - a 3D printer is a great idea for making one of those "lipstick guards". I'm going to loosen the ear loops on some of the fabric ones I've made, plus I dug out an old pair of glasses with a much narrower lens that sits higher on my nose. Maybe I won't have to "Mr. Magoo" it this fall, lol.

Rebecca - when we moved in here, there was a propane insert. It did a good job of heating the living room. I think it will be a money saver for you in the long run and the flames are mesmerizing. ;)

Faye - I forgot to mention, I picked up a bottle of Everclear, 190 proof. :p I need to round up a little bottle with a pump and try out your formula. I think I have a hand sanitizer one already that is nearly empty.

I went out last evening and gave the greenhouse hornets a squirt. Hopefully that will end their idea of building a nest in there. That's where I got stung last year. :s

Hurricane Laura - I heard from a friend who lives around 40 miles north of Lake Charles - her house lost a few tiles off the roof and there are trees down on the road, but otherwise everything OK. She said it could have been much worse and of course they'll be cleaning up for a month.

Make it a great day <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Lanette If you have a bottle of sanitizer already almost empty, just add the Everclear to it and see how you like the consistency. You can use it straight but I find it a bit thin so a little aloe thickens it and is good for the skin. I like the 1 to 10 ratio because it keeps the alcohol content very deadly to germs and viruses and is a nice consistency for pump bottles.
    23bct0hvalgp.png
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Up at 4 am for the drive in!πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘
    Made a peanut butter, butter and honey sandwich for the day. I know, but butter and peanut butter is magical.πŸ’–
    Have a good day my friends.πŸ’–
    I will maybe connect on the Univ of Washington's Medical Wi-Fi.πŸ‘
    πŸ’–Rebecca
    On walkabout.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: Β»
    Katla49 wrote: Β»
    Machka: I hope your brother and his family are safe and their home is not seriously damaged by the storm. :heart:

Family is safe, house is still standing. A neighbour who stayed in the area checked the exterior of the house and that's OK. They'll have to wait a bit to get back into the area to see if there is water damage inside.

In other news, I have a dental appointment for a couple weeks from now, but a large chunk of tooth is loose and about to let go so I'm on a cancellation list to try to get in earlier. This is one I've had done before. I really need a crown! But who has the money for that?!

M in Oz

Update:

Evidently there's a tree on their carport but the actual house still standing. I haven't seen photos yet.

Also one of the chemical plants was damaged and was leaking chlorine gas into the air over Lake Charles. So with the lack of power and water, and toxic air, I think my family is staying away for another day or two.

And my tooth has broken apart.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Faye: 😍 the digital art. You are in good company. David Hockney is heavily into it.

http://youtu.be/qCy89eJEv2c
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Machka - hope you can get your tooth fixed soonest, and hope it's not terribly painful. Or expensive to fix. It's been a rough couple of years for you, my friend. Many hugs coming your way.

Laura did her damage in Arkansas well to our east, we saw a bit of rain, no big whoop for us. And we needed the rain...

Coming up on two full days since the sciatica flare subsided, so hopefully am completely past it. That was no fun.

Friday is ordinarily my shopping morning, but there's almost nothing we need--which is great, as if I can refrain from shopping until next Tuesday, we will be under budget for August. Makes me happy, and shows it's not that big a deal for us. Since I don't have to go shopping, I'm heading for the elliptical.

:)
    Later,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka, Your tooth... :s
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Faye - Have you thought of doing an illustrated fantasy book? They are very popular. :D

I wrote this morning. Lots of memories being dredged up. Not bad, but thought provoking and occasionally infuriating. It does me good though.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: Β»
    Machka - hope you can get your tooth fixed soonest, and hope it's not terribly painful. Or expensive to fix. It's been a rough couple of years for you, my friend. Many hugs coming your way.

Thank you!

Evidently I'm taking it all out on my teeth at night! :grimace:

I have an appointment Sept 10 but am on the cancellation list. It's not too painful if I keep food and cold/hot beverages away.

It was fixed twice before ... I suspect I'll need a root canal this time + I really should pay for a crown + I think I've got to ask about a custom mouthguard for nights.
    I wonder if they have a payment plan.
    I wonder if I might get something back from my tax return this year.

LisaInAR wrote: Β»
    Coming up on two full days since the sciatica flare subsided, so hopefully am completely past it. That was no fun.

:)
    Later,
    Love,
    Lisa

I hope you're pain free and back in business again. <3

M in Oz

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up but no time for comments as it's time for lunch. Will pop back on later.

☘️ Terri
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    68547cwg98wmzcn.gif
  • Machka9
    Options
    I tried to get together with a couple of friends within the first couple of weeks and finding it too hard. I know they are trying to be supportive but I think the best thing to say in situations like these is there are no words because I am finding most other statements taxing. Please please do not suggest anything that adds to the person's to do list like I have a book for you to read or someday think about being on a taskforce. How about a walk? When I already walk three times a day because of Drew. If I walk with you I have to wear a mask and right now when I am our walking I do not want to have to wear a mask. I will help you clean out son's things. (way to personal for me)

No here is a pot of soup in a container you do not need to return, I will come and mow your lawn, I will water your garden, here is a plate of cookies on a paper plate, I will help you arrange the flowers on son's grave, we will take over the food at the service. I will just listen and offer no advice... These were the things I found really helped me at this time.

As those of you have suffered loss. The loss is the major impact. Then you have the thanks yous, the financial, the personal property aspects you need to get through along with your own day to day routines. Everyday I do something to get these extra things done. I also keep my computer handy if I have any phone work to do for all the wait times many of these things have and I always remember to thank the person on the other end of the phone for any help they give me.

{{Hugs}}

I am so sorry you're dealing with all of this.

But I agree!

No one prepared me for the amount of work that was involved in having a husband in a coma and then in a state where he didn't know who he (or anyone or anything) was ... and even after.

I got ...
    I will come and stay with you. Lovely, but it would have meant extra housework for me.
    Would you like to be part of the Brain Injury Association. I did eventually, but in the beginning I didn't have the energy for that.
    Would you like to help with fundraising for the local Epilepsy organisation. No ... I don't have time!
    Here's a whole stack of things to read. Just not ready for that.
    Why don't you get pets ... taking care of pets will take your mind off things. I was hardly ever home ... at work, at uni, at the hospital.

The one that probably helped me the most was when a coworker took me out for coffee two or three time. Just a cup of coffee for maybe half an hour. A short break that didn't involve any preparation on my part. A chance to talk.

There is another one that probably would have helped, but I didn't think of it and it's not one I've seen on the lists of how to help ... setting up lights. I would have loved for someone to ask me if it was OK if they came in and set up a string of solar lights for me along the footpath to my door so that when I came home from the hospital well after dark, there would be light to greet me. And so that we would have safety lights after my husband came home, especially since he has trouble walking. I tried to squeeze "buy solar lights" into my day and I think I got a couple really cheap ones from somewhere, but they didn't last long.

{{Hugs}}

Machka in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Up at 4 am for the drive in!πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘
    Made a peanut butter, butter and honey sandwich for the day. I know, but butter and peanut butter is magical.πŸ’–
    Have a good day my friends.πŸ’–
    I will maybe connect on the Univ of Washington's Medical Wi-Fi.πŸ‘
    πŸ’–Rebecca
    On walkabout.

I'm there with you...my favorite sandwich! Peanut butter, butter and 🍯!!!

Cheri