WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,738 Member
    Options
    Faye - I love the artwork.

Rita - I love the masks. I am claustrophobic and have found the cloth ones too heavy and they make me panic, so many are so nice I wish I could wear them. I am stuck with the good old blue surgical ones.

Allie - I hope you get the home, we live in mobile home and although ours is very old and needs a lot of work, I love how easy it is to clean and am thankful there are no stairs.

Karen- Thanks for the info.

Barbara - I hope her other personality gets lost too. We are enjoying the break. I hadn't thought about my need for security in the manner that you described. You're right though, thank you for the insight.

Debbie- I hate line dried clothes because of the stiffness too. I do miss a nice crisp line dried sheet though. I miss that smell and no matter what they have tried I haven't found a bottled scent that cuts it.

Lisa - Hope you find your glasses. I can't even put my feet on the floor without mine so I never lose them. I remember once years and years ago, hubby and I were in a terrible fight ready to call it quits. The argument started at 7am and was one of those that had been building up for months before. Somewhere around lunch time I was so angry I didn't know what to do and I ripped my glasses off my face and threw them. Of course, they frame broke. It was probably close to 7 in the evening before things had calmed down and I was able to swallow my pride and ask him to fix them for me. I had a nasty nasty headache at that point. Now, I wouldn't be able to hold out that long as I couldn't see to walk away. I'm so thankful we worked it all out. I honestly didn't think we would make it back then.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: returned adjuster’s call, downloaded claims app, recycling, bank, post office, BiMart, Farmers’ Market, Grocery Outlet, gas. Freddie’s
    Bonus: made tuna salad, reconciled checking and credit card statements, 2 loads laundry, printed map for Eugene trip, ordered vitamins,
    Get to do: BB&B, take pics of car, declutter sideboard, start baking cookies for visit, follow up email to SDAO re ABN registry, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, t, Grocery Outlet, transplant and sow, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Monday 8/Altruistic August

26: support a good cause: SO PBS.
    27: notice and try to brighten someone who’s down.

Tech advised any procedure requiring driver would not happen same day, but be scheduled. Joe’s happy, he gets to drive himself in the van. I’m relieved and hope we never have to learn what Plan B was. Tech checked and computer still had appointments scheduled for this week (for the other eye?). She said she cancelled them. I hope!

Faye you are so right that 30 is too high. Joe’s had the laser burning holes treatments 3 times in that eye, and then recently the more drastic canaloplasty with microstent, then emergency lasering when his pressure was 56(!!!). He’s feeling much better, and we are hopeful the new pills will keep the pressure down while his eye clears. “always have something removed” ouch! “Pain for years before they figured it out?” SMH.
    Annie thanks for explaining about your mini stepper. Doubt I could balance on it without falling ;)
    Michele “When he fixes something I stay about as far away as I do when he’s doing the taxes.” :lol: That explains why Joe spends so much time in the garage when I’m doing ours.
    Pip :love: the patio! Surely those vines didn’t grow that fast? :wink:
    Machka sorry the MRI dx was a jolt. Hope some good (permanent disability finding/income?) comes of it.
    Barbie sending good thoughts for Jake’s appointment and hope your walking is safe and enjoyable.
    Carol imho line dried clothes, while they smell amazingly good, are stiff and scratchy. If we had a clothes line I might so dry sheets and pillowcases, but everything else goes in the drier. I :love: soft almost as much as I hate to iron.
    Heather your savoury cauliflower cake does look yummy, and yummier than the sweet-sneak-veggies-in cake that Julie and I imagined :sick: “threatened to give her cauliflower cake” :lol:
    Lisa neither would I allow Joe anywhere near my hair with scissors :astonished:
    Tracey hope her “other personality” gets lost while on holiday and never finds its way back. Meanwhile hope you and all your coworkers enjoy the break! Mama didn’t just iron sheets and pillow cases, but even Papa’s underwear. Then soon as I could stand up to the board, guess who got that chore? Never again!!! Tracey one’s body’s physical security is the baseline need that must be addressed before any others, even the need for family time/connection. I remember a brief time when my apartment was cold, nothing like what you lived through, but cold to me. I’d stay at work extra hours, then when I had to leave to catch the last train I’d cry because I didn’t want to go home. Please do not guilt yourself for wanting to be warm and clean.

Amazingly desk and keyboard are still empty of papers, despite daily influx of mail and stuff. Choosing to plant lettuce and mustard starts instead of trying to find even one thing in the sideboard pile to handle :devil:

Only through pg 101. Dinked around on pc so missed my chance to vacuum while Joe was out. Time to get up off my butt and go outside!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=Tue: 1890, Wed: 5506  vits=25.5 log=26 CI<CO=16 CI<250<CO=8 Tumble & Shadow 5=16 mfp=18 outside=9 up hill=6
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=10-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=5 20for20=
    bonus: AF=15 play= sew=

What’s on the patio wall is fake.

Kayla- we rented a home with another couple in North Carolina. His friend took the pic
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Heather THE LAST RAVEN - synopsis: Before Doctor Bagwe releases a genetically modified raven, he injects it with a deadly virus. All humanity is at risk. The raven's attack, before the virus has gained full strength, on Delia Rae gives her immunity. She must find and kill the raven. The fate of the world weighs upon her shoulders. Somewhere near the river where the giant mighty sturgeon still swim the bird is hiding planning its attack on Delia. He must kill her before she kills him. The quick spread of the virus had instantly killed all other ravens worldwide. Delia has exactly two weeks before the virus will affect humans. One woman against one killer bird, who will reign victorious?
    7vftj60a5614.jpg

This is as far as I get any more writing novels. Photo age 21 with added warrior jewelry, etc., and art program modification on the background and coloring.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Faye--I find your picture very good and tells a story. Thanks for sharing.

Glad to hear everyone is staying safe. Keeping everyone in prayer.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I hit my 3080 logging streak! 8.438 years
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Katla - I bought the Magnesium L-Threonate (Magtein) on Amazon. There are many manufacturers. I think Dr. Mercola sells it and has info about it. I'd imagine a well-stocked healthfood store would have it and maybe a store like Fred Meyer. It's spendy, one reason I started taking just one. I also take a Magesium lysinate glycinate chelate - this one is super cheap, also from Amazon.

Anyhow, these 2 magnesiums and 2 mg melatonin and I'm out like a light for at least 6 hours, which I consider good!

Pip- what a nice area! So much fun stuff and Kirby walking Yogi makes me think of what your old neighborhood must have been like with the nice little houses and green lawns.

Faye - you are an awesome storyteller and illustrator!

I've about had it with these masks.
    ... I can't talk in them, they get soggy so quickly and I'm constantly pulling them out of my mouth and they stick to my lips, I'm talking both cloth and surgical.. With allergies my oxygen level sometimes registers 96 and below and with the heat I feel like I'm suffocating. The glasses fogging is the worst. If I really pinch the nose clip down, I can't breathe through my nose and glasses still fog a bit, especially with the cold weather in the mornings when I shop. And the nose clip rubs the skin beneath my eyes so every couple minutes I'm yanking that @^*$) down.

My solution has been to just take off my glasses and wander around the stores like Mr. Magoo, nor simply pull it below my nose. I get so frustrated. I almost hope some mask police makes a comment and I swear I'll "accidentally" crash into them with my cart. :s

I do have an idea for a different type of cloth mask though and will work on it tomorrow, I think I can make it work.

I noticed some of the cashiers at Walmart are now wearing mouth shield type masks that barely cover their mouths, similar to this:https://www.amazon.com/MOTOTEKS-Restaurant-Protection-Protective-Environmental/dp/B086VR7N5J/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=mask+face+shield+chin+for+virus+protection&qid=1598565276&sr=8-6

WA State has a "face covering" mandate in place and apparently these qualify. I wish I could find a place locally and just buy one to try it out. I see there are also these things: https://www.amazon.com/Internal-Silicone-Lipstick-Protector-Accessories/dp/B08DKPHZWP/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1FO5U4XS4RKCP&amp;dchild=1&amp;keywords=lipstick+mask+protector&amp;qid=1598565713&amp;sprefix=lipstick+mask,aps,248&amp;sr=8-1-spons&amp;psc=1&amp;spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTVM0Mk1FNU9BUjM2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzc1OTMwMTgwSllTMlc0R0U1RiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTY3MTg0NldLRk9FN0RKOTcxJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They come in various styles. Again, I don't want to spend $$ for something that might not work. I'm searching around the house for some soft bendable plastic that I could jerry-rig into something similar. I'll check the drugstores next time I'm in town and see if they have them. My concern is the ability to talk and my glasses.

Can't wait for this madness to be over!!!

Hornet update - the survivors are busy building a nest in the greenhouse which I'll remove tonight or early tomorrow morning. I see some nests high up on the shop eaves, not in anyone's way with their comings and goings, and they are welcome to call that home.

That's a wrap. <3

Lanette B)
    Sunny and warm SW WA State
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    1577093ldxn40imc6.jpg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Well Alfie and I are all tucked in and we are finally getting some soaking rain ...we so needed it..
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla- our area is like one big manicured park
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did the Abs Diet workout. Of course, there’s a section trying to sell their supplements, but the workout is good. The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT.

Barbie – so glad to hear about Jake. Speaking of walking. Remember I told you that I was curious as to how many steps I took when I worked so one time I was going to wear a pedometer. Well, I couldn’t find mine. Do you have an app on your phone that measures your steps? I usually have my phone with me, so maybe I can use that. Update: downloaded one, I walk about 5,000 steps

Heather
    – my first thought when you mention “blind man” is still someone who can’t see. Even tho I know that’s not what you mean

SuziQ
    – we were so glad to see that Laura was away from FL. At least we know our condo is safe. Prayers for everyone in its path

Karen VA
    – So glad your cousin has a place to stay

Lynette
    – a couple years ago I was attacked by a swarm of, it was either hornets or wasps. What I did, and this seems to be very effective, is I went to Lowes Hardware and got a WHY trap. It’s for wasps, hornets and yellowjackets. I don’t use the attractant that comes with it. I’d read too many reviews of people saying it really didn’t work for the amount of money you paid. The attractant I use is apple juice. I guess they’re attracted to the sweetness. I usually get the 8oz bottles just because those are so much easier to fill it. Really, the first year I couldn’t believe how many wasps it caught. Unbeknownst to us, there were A LOT living behind the retaining wall. Like you, right after it happened, I was really on the warpath. Went thru, I don’t know how many cans of that wasp and hornet killer. Now I just buy applejuice. Update: it was probably a wasp. I don’t remember seeing paper-looking nests.

Rita
    – great job on the masks. I really like the cat one

Allie – good thoughts that you get the place

Dried clothes: when we lived in a house where we were able to line dry the clothes, I hung just about everything outside but I did put the towels in the dryer

Margaret – I’m so sorry that happened to you with your credit card. What a pain!

Pip – about your streak – congrats! MFP is telling me that I have a 3day streak. Well, I know better

Update on sourdough starter – still not very much action. Kim, I keep thinking of you saying that yours took 14 days before you had action.

Worked today, I downloaded a walking app and at work I get 5,000 steps. Came home and went in the pool, then exercised, went to the vet’s office because Jess needed Revolution for Colby to bring to Iowa, then went to WalMart, then home.

Soup kitchen tomorrow!!!

I think it’s a bit too late to go back in the pool – boo

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: returned adjuster’s call, downloaded claims app, recycling, bank, post office, BiMart, Farmers’ Market, Grocery Outlet, gas. Freddie’s
    Bonus: made tuna salad, reconciled checking and credit card statements, 2 loads laundry, printed map for Eugene trip, ordered vitamins,
    Get to do: BB&B, take pics of car, declutter sideboard, start baking cookies for visit, follow up email to SDAO re ABN registry, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, t, Grocery Outlet, transplant and sow, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Monday 8/Altruistic August

26: support a good cause: SO PBS.
    27: notice and try to brighten someone who’s down.

Tech advised any procedure requiring driver would not happen same day, but be scheduled. Joe’s happy, he gets to drive himself in the van. I’m relieved and hope we never have to learn what Plan B was. Tech checked and computer still had appointments scheduled for this week (for the other eye?). She said she cancelled them. I hope!

[
    Carol imho line dried clothes, while they smell amazingly good, are stiff and scratchy. If we had a clothes line I might so dry sheets and pillowcases, but everything else goes in the drier. I :love: soft almost as much as I hate to iron.
    [
    Amazingly desk and keyboard are still empty of papers, despite daily influx of mail and stuff. Choosing to plant lettuce and mustard starts instead of trying to find even one thing in the sideboard pile to handle :devil:

Only through pg 101. Dinked around on pc so missed my chance to vacuum while Joe was out. Time to get up off my butt and go outside!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=Tue: 1890, Wed: 5506  vits=25.5 log=26 CI<CO=16 CI<250<CO=8 Tumble & Shadow 5=16 mfp=18 outside=9 up hill=6
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=10-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=5 20for20=
    bonus: AF=15 play= sew=

I totally agree with you about line dried clothes- mom didn't do it very often when I was very young but still remember the stiffness/scratchy feeling- HATED it- I am very, extremely picky about how my clothes feel. I will actually feel the clothes before really looking at them. If they are super cute and cheap but don't feel soft enough, they are not even getting a second look. None of my shirts have tags- been taking them off, not so gently as a kid and mom hated that . Even the tagless ones when worn a while will get rough and drive me crazy- I found I can iron them w/ parchment and get it flat again. It drives my family crazy at times but at almost 60, not going to change.

Debbie

I also cannot wear rough, textured, stiff clothing and it has been worse as I have gotten older.
    I also check the feel of clothing before I look closer at it when I'm shopping.

But I've been hanging my clothes to dry since I was in my mid-20s and I've never known them to be stiff. I wear a lot of T-shirt like materials that don't seem to stiffen up ... cotton and elastane, viscose, bamboo, etc.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :)Michele I love the step count app on my phone. It is Samsung Health that came with my Galaxy phone. I keep my phone with me all the time for a lot of reasons including safety and step count

<3 Barbie in NW WA 💖
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I hope your brother and his family are safe and their home is not seriously damaged by the storm. :heart:

Family is safe, house is still standing. A neighbour who stayed in the area checked the exterior of the house and that's OK. They'll have to wait a bit to get back into the area to see if there is water damage inside.

Machka: I’m sorry that I was confused about your husband’s injury. Thanks for clarifying. I hope you are able to get a fair settlement from the insurance company, and your DH doesn’t have to live to be 100 before they do what is right. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

I hope so too. I've read that similar cases can take 4 or 5 years from the point we're at now to sort themselves out, so I'm bracing myself for that but hoping it won't be that long. It's a slow process involving quite a bit of time and effort.

In other news, I have a dental appointment for a couple weeks from now, but a large chunk of tooth is loose and about to let go so I'm on a cancellation list to try to get in earlier. This is one I've had done before. I really need a crown! But who has the money for that?!

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Lanette ... I was going to link you to the product that gives more breathing space under a mask, but see you found something similar. The masks are a pita, but I'm on board with wearing them.

Beth near Buffalo

Beth - have you tried those mask gadgets or do you know anyone who has?

Lanette
    Hot SW WA State

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    Up to Page 103

☘️ Terri
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    I’ve had an interesting morning. I took my computer into another room and didn’t plug in, so it ran out of battery & eventually shut down. I’ll be reading everyone’s post again and responding again. :ohwell: :embarassed:

Rebecca: I love the ships on your son’s Carpet Sea fleet. :smiley: In our previous home we installed a Fisher cast iron & steel fireplace insert. It was wonderful. We have a gas fireplace in this house and it is certainly easier than chopping wood, but I’ll always have a place in my heart for cast iron fireplace inserts. They offer excellent heat and don’t need electricity. :star:

Yvonne in TX: Isn’t it an interesting coincidence that National Dog Day falls during the dogdays of August? :bigsmile:

Pip: Great photo of you and Kirby in the surf. Who took the picture? :smiley:

Debbie: Robocalls are the worst! I think they should be exclusively available to governments when there is a public safety crisis, such as an intense storm, flood, fire, or earthquake. :grumble:

Machka: I hope your brother and his family are safe and their home is not seriously damaged by the storm. :heart:

(((Rori))): I’m happy that you’re home safe now, but sorry your DH added to your worries during his stress causing “walkabout.”

Machka: I’m sorry that I was confused about your husband’s injury. Thanks for clarifying. I hope you are able to get a fair settlement from the insurance company, and your DH doesn’t have to live to be 100 before they do what is right. :heart:

Karen in VA: Good wishes for your spouse. I hope the post-anesthesia nerve damage resolves itself and she is able to enjoy life again. :star:

Heather: I’m happy the blinds are working just as you’d hoped. :flowerforyou:

Rita: I love your masks!!! :bigsmile:

Lanette: I’m interested in your magtein. Is it easily available locally? Did I spell it right? :huh:

Barbara: I’ve been cutting the hair around my face since the Covid 19 pandemic began, but I’m letting the rest grow. I don’t have a pretty hairline around my face, so I’ve always had bangs. So far, so good with my amateur barbering around my face and longer length in back. :bigsmile:

Lisa: I hope you’ve found your glasses by now and are resting in front of the tv with your crochet hook in your hand.

It is 12:21 pm where I sit at the computer, and I’m ready to do something else. Unfortunately, I don’t have an idea in mind. I guess I’ll check the bean plants and blueberry bushes. Both are nearly done for the season. We have loads of berries in the freezer and no beans in the freezer. We’ve decided to eat this year’s beans as we pick them, after all the struggle it has been to grow any beans at all. We will have to rely on grocery store beans this winter. :ohwell:

Have a great day and be as safe as you can.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Our 31yr old is such a kid at heart.💖. I think Legos and scooter fixing is the way he unwinds after a long day being a sailor.

We have already had our electric heater kick on during the night, so summer is winding down on Whidbey.

The insert is off but when it starts getting cooler we'll kick it on the automatic feature. There is something magical about waking up, coming downstairs to a nice little fire going. We had it set to go off automatically when the temp dipped below 62'. Its propane, and all we have to do is call the farmers Co-op Market and they'll send a truck out. To fill it runs about $250, but we check it and don't let it get to empty. Not too much of a financial woe that way.
    💖Rebecca
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Uuuuuy