WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    she shagged

I don't know what that word means to you but it means something different to me, down here in Australia. The meaning I know doesn't really fit the context so I figure there must be some other meaning ... but it does kind of catch me off guard! :smiley::wink: :blush:

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    :)Karen, I have knitted a lot of dishcloths, I use cotton yarn. The first step is to learn to knit. There is probably a lot of info on YouTube or elsewhere on the internet. I knit them corner to corner starting with four stitches and increasing at the beginning of each row until it looks big enough then decreasing at the beginning of each row until I get back to four stitches. It's a little more complicated than that but very easy and satisfying work.

Let me know if you want the easy pattern I have. Katla has some more complicated patterns with animal shapes on them.

<3 Barbie
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    M in Oz

Oh no, it means like drug or hesitantly moved like a kid dragging his feet. I went back to edit and the edit feature was gone! I just looked up the urban or slang definition. It is ridiculous how good descriptive words have been perverted into other meanings. My folks used to say, "shag your butt out and get the chores done." That wasn't a proper use of the word I guess, especially for parents with doctorates, but I got the idea. Shagged meaning exhausted ...
    "they were too shagged to do any cleaning." I think I will claim a new definition of the word ... moving with hesitation and resistance."

I was also corrected as a young adult by an Australian for using the word wanker to mean a jerk. I was informed that down under wanker means to jerk, not A JERK!

Faye red-faced
    by the blue river
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    In England shagged means something else entirely. :o:p

The blind man came. I'm going to have a cream, blackout, motorised blind to fit my high up Velux window. So now I won't fry on my sofa in the summer. I will be able to get rid of the weird curtains that cover the internal doors. Plus the huge curtain pole. Not cheap, but if DH doesn't want to contribute I will treat myself. £245 Inc VAT and fitted by a professional. The motor is solar powered so no battery to run out. The guy seemed pretty efficient. Two to three weeks to order.

We are still trying to decide whether to go ahead with the floor sanding. The nice young man who came to estimate has proved elusive and in no hurry to seal the deal after we asked about moving the furniture. I think we are coming round to thinking we might just cover it up with a big pale grey rug. Far less hassle. We had said we would have the hall and dining room floors done at the same time, but we are going off the idea on grounds of cost. I'm definitely thinking huge rug is looking a better idea.

Now back on the bed with my fan.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    M in Oz

Oh no, it means like drug or hesitantly moved like a kid dragging his feet. I went back to edit and the edit feature was gone! I just looked up the urban or slang definition. It is ridiculous how good descriptive words have been perverted into other meanings. My folks used to say, "shag your butt out and get the chores done." That wasn't a proper use of the word I guess, especially for parents with doctorates, but I got the idea. Shagged meaning exhausted ...
    "they were too shagged to do any cleaning." I think I will claim a new definition of the word ... moving with hesitation and resistance."

I was also corrected as a young adult by an Australian for using the word wanker to mean a jerk. I was informed that down under wanker means to jerk, not A JERK!

Faye red-faced
    by the blue river

No ... as Heather says, shagged means something else. Not exhausted. :lol: Although perhaps you might be exhausted after.

Knackered means exhausted.

And wanker kind of means a jerk but jerk doesn't really, entirely describe it especially if the person is a "total wanker".

British English, and Australian variations of British English, can be a whole different language to US English ... and Canadian English is caught somewhere in between with a bit of French thrown in.

M in Oz.

• Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Heather Nice photo! What a babe! Yes, England and Australia assign meanings to words that in the USA are considered slang or urban. Sadly so many great descriptive words are losing their original meaning. I see words hijacked every day usually by young people thinking they are inventing something and oh so clever. Back in our day the word cool for example. "What a cool morning." Did cool mean temperature cool or a fun wonderful morning? Then groovy! Young folks think I am an old crazy when I tell them the origin of that word. It started with DJ's putting the turntable arm needle into the groove of a 45, sometimes an LP. "We are in the groove and on the move, it's groovy baby." I worked as a broadcast engineer for a few years until good old time radio went automated and didn't need an on-duty licensed engineer. I sure miss those days. During monitoring times doing the twist to Chubby Checkers. You talk about working the booty. Wait it wasn't booty then it was butt. I can't keep up! I was on the cell phone a couple of years back and the driver got off to the side of the freeway where they had made grooves for winter traction and safety. I said, "man this road is groovy," and my friend on the other end says I haven't heard that word since my hippie days. Nothing cool or groovy about rough asphalt on a hot summer day.

Faye stuck in the yesteryear track
    with the needle jumping the grooves
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did the Power Group Boot DVD. Not bad. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Classic Firm Low Impact Aerobics DVD

Debbie – beautiful ornaments and pins. You know what I’m thinking I’ll do with a lot of the crafts I have extra (like the crochet towels and the x-stitch)? I’m going to donate them to the soup kitchen. They are going to have an on-line silent auction. I’ve already donated a blanket that I made to them.

M – how do you make the sourdough biscuits? Cut the sourdough with a biscuit cutter? Or put the dough into a muffin tin? I don’t think I can get sourdough pancakes by Vince, but I might be able to get sourdough biscuits by him, I’ll just tell him they’re a new recipe for regular biscuits. He’ll never know.

Tracey – I probably did mention Denise’s baby shower when I talked about the lamps. But that was last year. Sorry for the confusion.

One thing I found out (because I tried it) was that you can put your dishcloth into the IP and sterilize it. I’m thinking that you can probably also put your mask (assuming it’s all cloth) in there, too.

M – those shoes are making me hungry. I think I’ll ice the brownies I made for Vince yesterday mainly because I want to use up the icing especially since Jess won’t be here. I still feel bad for her. She said yesterday “I want a new picture of me when I lose some of this weight”. Then she had potato chips. She just isn’t ready to lose the weight, regardless of what she says

Heather
    – when you mentioned the blind man, at first I was envisioning a person who couldn’t see. Then I realized how wrong I was because you mentioned about putting on clothes….lol I see I’m not the only person who thought that!

Faye
    [/b]– I very seldom use the buttons at the bottom of the posts. People can’t see who liked etc them.

KJ – will you be expected to help the school age children with their school work? For some reason, I was thinking that daycare was only for pre-school age children.

Lisa and anyone else
    – is anyone having trouble finding bleach? Look in the pool section. If you find “Chlorinating Liquid” this IS bleach. Exact same ingredient as in bleach (sodium hypochloride) only it’s a higher concentration than household bleach which really isn’t a problem

Lanette – I remember MIL used to make paper “logs". She would roll up newspaper, soak it in water then let it dry. I’m sorry about your dogs

Xch…
    . – awesome loss.

Got dinner ready to be microwaved. Jess is leaving for VA after work tomorrow. But first she’ll stop here to pick up Shadow

Michele NC
    who is off to the pool
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    One good thing is that, because the blind man is coming this afternoon, I actually put something decent on! Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather -
    I seriously had to read this three times before I realized you meant the man who deals with your window blinds. I just couldn't figure out why you were dressing up for someone who couldn't see you! :smiley: Love the top, it suits you.

Just stopping by on my way to the shower--it will either be raining or incredibly hot later, so I did the outside trimming this morning--about 90 minutes, 750 calories. Getting things done in the house for the rest of the day. Or reading. Or a little of both.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
    Lisa I too had to reread about Heathers “blind” man LOL

I’ve never knitted dishcloths but have a bit of cotton yarn might give it a go

Kate UK ❤️

• Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: In my story titled, In Search of that Classy Sassy Classic, I used a word that was changed by the police computer to "kitten." "Grown kitten breast?" This makes no sense and my original word was the word for a butt that is also the Biblical name for a donkey. I should be savvy and use *kitten* or something clever. They won't let me edit and change "shagged my old ..." "to dragged my old ..." I should give up my attempts at comic writing. Luckily I wasn't banned for my transgressions.

Faye giving herself
    a time out to think
    about her behavior
    and lack of word skills
    PNW USA 0753 hours PST

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Karen - Pretty dishcloth, I can knit a square and that's about it, I don't know how to finish my work though. I would love to learn to knit mittens and sweaters. I never take the time to learn though. I tried crochet, an made a chain. LOL

Kylia - One trick I have started doing when using my phone to post on here, is I use my note app then copy and paste it into MFP. It has saved me a lot of frustration.

Heather - You look lovely. It's so funny when we lose the internet or tv, we reboot everything too. Usually it is a provider error not ours.

Barbara - I like light and heat too. Thankfully my husband puts up with me and doesn't say too much to deter me. I know if he really has an opinion he'll voice it and I usually listen.
    One of my co-workers thinks she's showing some signs of Alzheimer's, that is highly possible as well.

In the meantime I'm just trying to get through. I have never been so fearful of making a mistake or saying the wrong thing at work though and it's a very uncomfortable feeling.

Kelly - I don't know how parents are to make decisions for their children's schooling. I don't envy anyone that task and worry about it all the same.

Faye - I'll have to read your story tonight.

Shagged - Here has the same meaning as Australia and England. It it was well done you should be exhausted. :p

Have a great day everyone
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Terri: I usually knit from corner to corner when making washcloths and always use cotton yarn. I also have a book of children’s patterns that are knit square. My favorites in that group are a sailboat, a butterfly & a rocking horse. It never occurred to me to use variegated yarn for these. I am of the opinion that the variegated colors would make it harder to see the design. :smiley: I have never crocheted a washrag but I made snowflakes in thin white thread. I bought some at a craft sale and then tried my own hand at it. The crafter I bought from had better skills than me, but I had fun crocheting my own snowflake. It was NOT easy. I put all of these on our Christmas tree each year. I soak the finished snowflake in thinned white glue and stretch it into the shape I want. The white glue dries and the whole “star” is symmetrical. :smiley:

Kylia: My phone does a poor job in making comments here, too. I usually use my phone to record & count my calories and my laptop to visit with our friends here. I’m fairly sure an ipad or tablet would work well, too. :smiley:

Heather: You look lovely in the photo. I especially like the top and necklace.

Allie: I’m not fond of national news, either. When I want to know what is going on locally, I watch Portland stations. If I want to know about national news, I choose CNN. :star:

DH is ready to go shopping so I will come back later. Local comntary about social behavior below:

In our corona virus community courtesy measures, seniors have priority at the grocery stores between 8am and 10 am. DH goes with me if he wants to get meat. Everyone must wear masks, and at least one of the stores gives out freebies to those who don’t have their own. I’m not sure whether the other two stores do this as well. People can also call in an order and have it delivered to their car in the parking lot or at the curb. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - my maternal grandmother chose to leave her home and went into a seniors boarding home. In 2000 my brother and his wife moved in with her to help fend fires and such. It also gave her piece of mind as she was scared she wouldn’t hear a smoke alarm in the night. When she became more unsteady on her feet my brother asked her to move her bedroom downstairs. She refused. She also refused any family member helping her with any personal care. She decided to move at that point.

My Dad also chose to go to the hospital for his last two weeks so Mom and I didn’t need to help with his personal care. I think I would make the same decisions, I don’t want my girls to have to care for me. Visit me and love me, but don’t care for me.

Tracey in Edmonton

Yes, if at all possible, I would like to make those choices myself too.

I have no family home I'm tied to.

I've done dramatic downsizes twice and as soon as I'm finished this degree I'm working on, I want to get into our home office and downsize the file boxes (scanning and/or tossing). There are several other things I'd like to work may way through as well, to downsize and make a potential move easier.

As you say, I don't want people to have to care for me. Visit me and love me, but don’t care for me. :)

On that note, there was an ad on TV that had both my husband and I growling a bit.

It showed a woman in the forefront sitting at a kitchen counter with a cup of tea. She looks to be about 45-ish. In the background, sitting on a sofa, is an older woman who looks maybe 70-ish. In the shot the younger woman is clear and the older woman is slightly blurry although they focus in on her briefly a couple times.

The younger woman speaks and says something along the lines of ... "We noticed Mom wasn't able to manage the large house as well anymore. We didn't know what to do. Then someone told us about "Some total care home". My husband and I visited "Some total care home" and we so impressed we signed Mom up there and then. Mom has never been happier!" (focus in on beaming Mom) They have this, that, and the other to do so Mom is never bored or lonely. (shot of Mom walking briskly down a path with another older woman). If you have an elderly relative, we highly recommend "Some total care home". It's such a relief to have Mom there.

What gets us about it is ... where was Mom in the decision-making process? Mom looks to be a strong healthy woman ... doesn't she get a choice?

M in Oz

M in OZ lots to comment on here. I’ll start with aging and dying. My mother wanted my dad to die at home. He had Colin cancer and hospice coming in. I was there for his last week. I swore then and there I Would NOT put my kids and family through that! Put me in a home/ hospital for final care! Come visit but no one needs to be put through that stead.

With that said, my mom is 84 years old and still very active. She moved to an assisted living facility this year in February. Been isolated since March and has never been happier. Prior, after her second husband died, she was living with my youngest sister. The move was her choice. She had applied to places around her area when the second DH died from cancer (but in a hospital this time). I have never had calls from her that were not depressing until she moved. In her case, it was the best thing for her. She has her own apartment and friends with other residents. She was lonely all the time with her second DH and at my sisters. Isolated in both places.
    So it is my opinion that if anyone wants to move to an elders facility of any kind do it. BUT it has to be the person’s choice unless dementia or Alzheimer’s is involved.

RV Rita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Katla and the other knitters I want to start knitting dishcloths. I am not a knitter but I have have 3 dishcloths that were made for me by a client and I love them. What equipment do I need? Are there particular yarns & patterns that make for sturdier, more useful dishcloths? Plus I want them to be pretty. This one is crocheted, I realize, but I love the colors and gingham look, so maybe I would like to crochet…I just don’t know! because I don’t know how to do either:

d9nf07co0xs8.png

Do you have a Joann’s, or Hobby Libby bear by, Walmart has them too. You can get a beginner kit to learn to knit or crochet. You can also get a beginner kit from through Amazon or any of the craft stores online too. Small project and sense of accomplishment when finished. I’m planning on using my leftover yarn to make dishcloths once all my planned projects are done. Make nice gifts!

Rv Rita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Sorry. Had to post this. My imagination playing again and fun topics for today. Enjoy and celebrate:

Today is August 9, 2020
    Play in the Sand Day- Worldwide
    Garage Sale Day- Worldwide
    Son’s and Daughter’s Day- US
    Ingersoll Day ("The Great Agnostic".)- US
    Presidential Joke Day- US
    Middle Child Day- Worldwide
    Independence Day-Chad

RvRita