WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,030 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Debbie - the site is Ravelry. They have a bazillion patterns and a wonderful craft specific search engine, so you can search patterns by yarn requirements or techniques used or garment features. Many of the patterns are linked to examples people have made in different colors. It's a wonderful site, you can get lost there for hours.

Annie in Delaware
    Former knitter and hand weaver

Thank you!!! I will check it out.
    Debbie

update- checked it out and it looks like it is just for knitting and crocheting. I am hoping to find sewing patterns- I will keep looking. I have not crocheted in almost 40 yrs. Started a baby blanket for a friend, that baby is now 39 yrs old and I never did finish the edges of it. One day I will.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    PIP Ouch!

Annie I hate getting a new laptop. I hope you had everything backed up.

Rita Independence Day-Chad --- hahaha gotta get some dry panties.

Katla Same seniors hours here but only on Tuesday and Thursday.

Tracey Thanks I hope you enjoy it!

Janet Good looking family and Jaxx is a cutie!

Kate Yes, Heather's blind man threw me also, but since her hubby is a lizard man I didn't question it.

Michele I think a lot don't use the buttons. it would be nice to know who appreciates your posts.

Teri I concur with the other ladies. That is a smashing haircut. You are rocking those locks, girl! It is perfect for your face shape and your glasses. Very nice!

M in Oz Thanks! I didn't know about knackered either. "I shagged that old elephant man until he was bloody knackered." "My ex was a bladdered wank ratbag that couldn't crack a fat for a slapa in an outback polly waffle."

Faye practicing her newfound
    language, Downunder English
    She will soon be bilingual

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🙋
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,719 Member
    Options
    FOR ALL YOU DIET COKE DRINKERS
    Took rust off, b4 and after pic

j31a7v44wrq9.jpeg
    zir058ediozk.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    Options
    f6jsghu61d1v.jpeg
    1fiyvy7gdwvp.jpeg
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Pip= that is amazing- will have to tell husband about that. I don't drink any soda(except for seltzer) and my first thought after seeing how well it cleaned it was, what is that doing to his stomach!
    Debbie
    Napa Valley
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Thanks! to the knitters and crocheters. Lots of encouragement and good advice. I will look for tutorials on YouTube and beginner kits as recommended.

Pip Owwwww!!!

Janetr, Vicki, and Amber Thanks for checking in. <3

>>>

Love and Hugs to all.

Karen in Virginia

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,185 Member
    Options
    Rebecca Really? How do you have a conversation with all the words that must be avoided?

You can say them ... just be prepared for a bit of a laugh.

I didn't talk much during my first year here and kept coming home to my husband asking what this means or that means.

After 11 years here I'm almost fluent. ☺

Machka in Australia
  • Machka9
    Options
    M in Oz

Oh no, it means like drug or hesitantly moved like a kid dragging his feet. I went back to edit and the edit feature was gone! I just looked up the urban or slang definition. It is ridiculous how good descriptive words have been perverted into other meanings. My folks used to say, "shag your butt out and get the chores done." That wasn't a proper use of the word I guess, especially for parents with doctorates, but I got the idea. Shagged meaning exhausted ...
    "they were too shagged to do any cleaning." I think I will claim a new definition of the word ... moving with hesitation and resistance."

I was also corrected as a young adult by an Australian for using the word wanker to mean a jerk. I was informed that down under wanker means to jerk, not A JERK!

Faye red-faced
    by the blue river

Oh and when I was a Lions Club exchange student to Australia, we were told if you have a big meal, don't EVER say, " oh I'm stuffed". Means to have intercourse. Haahaa!
    💖Rebecca

So does shag (in case people didn't get that ) and root.

There's a little joke about how Koalas are like men ...

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    About the news: I read the headlines and let Vince give me the highlights if anything’s real important. Too depressing

Amber and janetR – great to see ya. Been too long

Ok, ladies, here is the scoop. I’m scared. Yes, that’s me. One part of me wants to make a sourdough starter and the other part of me is scared. Maybe it’s because there are just so many different ways to make it that my head is spinning. I know when I looked at uTube videos to make the crochet towel toppers, the first one I tried came out really weird so I looked at another one. There was one that I just totally rejected. So I guess I’m afraid that’s going to be the same way with the starter. I saw about making rolls and it calls for adding sour cream and these other things. I thought you’d use just the dough! So I really need encouragement to do it or not to do it. Does anyone have a really successful way? One says to use regular flour, another says to only use organic, one says to use pineapple juice also, others don’t even mention that. So my head is spinning. I’m thinking that the whole wheat flour that I have is going to be OK to start off with. Then I was thinking that I should get bread flour. I’m so confused. HELP!!!!

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Ffff
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Rebecca Really? How do you have a conversation with all the words that must be avoided?

Heehee, very carefully!💖
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Birthday meal went well! Cake was made but not from scratch.
    h5pqb5qjyho1.jpeg
    orpolo9fgw86.jpeg
    He enjoyed his sushi picture card spelling out Happy birthday. I will hang it next to his other birthday cards from years past. Love Pandora Cards. They are expensive though at $6 a card!
    He enjoyed his announcement on Facebook and I added pics of special family members that held him.💖m3g43wwblxqe.jpg ( like my dad)
    It was a fun day!
    💖Rebecca

the sushi card is great- son and husband would both love that. MIL might even like it but not going to waste that much money on a card for her as she wouldnt really appreciate it

Debbie

I bought a pack of 4 shadow boxes for like $15. Your MIL would look at the card and think of you and how much ya love her💖
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – how do you make the sourdough biscuits? Cut the sourdough with a biscuit cutter? Or put the dough into a muffin tin? I don’t think I can get sourdough pancakes by Vince, but I might be able to get sourdough biscuits by him, I’ll just tell him they’re a new recipe for regular biscuits. He’ll never know.

Michele NC
    who is off to the pool

If the M you're referring to here is me, I haven't the faintest idea. I love to bake but I've never made sourdough anything.

• Machka9
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    First fall in California, another war wound. Uneven sidewalks due to tree roots growing will do it to you every time

Ouch!! I do hope you heal quickly without too much pain!

We've got a lot of uneven pavement here too, but more because this whole area is on a slope ... very hilly. And they don't update footpaths etc. very frequently. Makes my husband quite hesitant about walking.

M in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    M – how do you make the sourdough biscuits? Cut the sourdough with a biscuit cutter? Or put the dough into a muffin tin? I don’t think I can get sourdough pancakes by Vince, but I might be able to get sourdough biscuits by him, I’ll just tell him they’re a new recipe for regular biscuits. He’ll never know.

Michele NC
    who is off to the pool

If the M you're referring to here is me, I haven't the faintest idea. I love to bake but I've never made sourdough anything.

Looks like I made a mistake, I think it was Katla that I was asking this of. So sorry.

M
  • Machka9
    Options

M in Oz Thanks! I didn't know about knackered either. "I shagged that old elephant man until he was bloody knackered." "My ex was a bladdered wank ratbag that couldn't crack a fat for a slapa in an outback polly waffle."

Faye practicing her newfound
    language, Downunder English
    She will soon be bilingual

If you want to know more about real Australian slang, here's a resource. It gives some of the background of Australian English.

https://scoopwebsite.blob.core.windows.net/files/accommodation/wander Inn Bunbury Backpackers Aussie Slang Dictionary.pdf

A tip I was given when I first moved here was not to try Australian slang until I had been here a while because it takes a bit to get the full sense of it all and when to use it. It took me a few years before I started throwing the odd bit of slang into conversations.

Also, there are different dialects/accents here. There's a really posh one that sounds a bit like they are putting on the Queen's English. There's a semi-posh one which my husband uses as do people who work in offices, universities, etc.. It's quite common. And there's a more rural one, similar to what you might have heard when watching Crocodile Dundee.

My husband was a journalist and PR person for a while and used the semi-posh accent/dialect then, but had a seachange/treechange and began working in orchards. He startled me one day when I was visiting one of the orchards, and he used the rural accent/dialect! He can switch between the two depending on circumstances but on the occasions he drops into the rural one, I'm standing there thinking, "Who are you?"

So ...

Your first sentence makes sense although ... ew.
    Your second doesn't. Sorry.

Machka in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,628 Member
    Options
    Good evening!
    Welcome to my great nephew Leo( short for a much longer name). He was born around 2 am at 7lbs 12oz. Momma and baby are doing great! He is as beautiful as his parents.

Faye- you make me laugh!!!

Had an enjoyable dinner with friends tonight. Relaxing. Heading to bed. Really should (I dislike that word) get something accomplished in the morning. Isn't happening tonight!

Congratulations!
    Hugs!
    Great to hear from all!
    Love the laughter!

Kylia sleepy in Ohio
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Birthday meal went well! Cake was made but not from scratch.
    h5pqb5qjyho1.jpeg
    orpolo9fgw86.jpeg
    He enjoyed his sushi picture card spelling out Happy birthday. I will hang it next to his other birthday cards from years past. Love Pandora Cards. They are expensive though at $6 a card!
    He enjoyed his announcement on Facebook and I added pics of special family members that held him.💖m3g43wwblxqe.jpg ( like my dad)
    It was a fun day!
    💖Rebecca

the sushi card is great- son and husband would both love that. MIL might even like it but not going to waste that much money on a card for her as she wouldnt really appreciate it

Debbie

I bought a pack of 4 shadow boxes for like $15. Your MIL would look at the card and think of you and how much ya love her💖

hahahha- my MIL barely even likes me and that is only when I cook food and take it over to her. Married for almost 28yrs(next month) and dated for two years before that and until just a few years ago she wouldn't even try the food I cooked. She hated it when FIL was alive and he loved my cooking(he was so sweet to me, always). Now she likes it most of the time when I cook because she doesn't feel like cooking anymore.

Debbie