WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Machka I sincerely thank you, because I had never read all 12 categories of the forum guidelines in detail. I encourage everyone to read them. I can see several ways I have violated them. They are really more specific than most forums, yet simple to understand. I remind myself this forum is about fitness and health and this thread directed at women over 50.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Morning
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Heather: I had to try the vestibular test. I managed 8.5 seconds. Yikes! That doesn’t seem like much. I’ll practice and try again later. Use it or lose it, indeed. Now I’ll have plenty of work to do on one foot and then the other. :ohwell: I tried to follow the Michael Mosely link and was swamped with advertisements. Then I tried it with my own timer. I didn’t do very well. :grumble:

Allie: I think that your idea of giving Faith more frequent small meals to help keep her blood sugar stable is an excellent strategy. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: You are doing very well. I am happy for you. :star:

SuziQ: Your frog is a cutie and you’re doing a great job keeping your home a healthy place for frogs and people. :heart:

Michele: Covid is the name of the virus and 2019 is the year that the pandemic started, so it is named Covid 19. We are now in 2020, but the original name stays. :flowerforyou:

I am a member of the city planning commission. I had a message from the city. They want us to have all of our meetings via Zoom because the city’s computers were hacked. I’ll called into the city a moment ago to let them know I’m NOT willing to have my personal computer hacked. I am willing to appear in person all masked up but I m not going to sacrifice my privacy.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Morning, afternoon, evening, all...

Shopping morning - trying to keep it just to Fridays these days, go early, get in, get out, get back home--which pushes my exercising later, but am learning to adjust to that, as well. I'm getting to be such a hermit that it really annoys me to have to put on real clothes and go out and look at other people, even if it is over a mask!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa - It sounds like you're adjusting to the new schedule gloriously! I also find it annoying when I have to actually put on real clothes and go somewhere. When I look at my calendar for the day and it's empty, it makes me happy.

Tina in CA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    💖
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Actually Katla 8.5 at your age is very good. It is extremely hard to stand on one leg with your eyes closed. :o
    Have you tried the sit/stand test? :D Find a hard kitchen chair. See how mny times you can raise and lower yourself from the chair in one minute.

A screenshot for the balance test. I normally manage 11 seconds, but today, after yoga, I managed 16. !!!

fvdqhyjjkt9p.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    Barbara--Glad DH's eyes are doing better. Sorry to hear about his dad.

Kim & Deb--sending prayers for the fires. Pray you get good news soon.

Allie--Good for you standing your ground and not letting your SIL bully you into watching Faith when you have done your part and have plans.

Sounds like we are going to have a hot weekend. I am off and other that church not a lot of plans. With the hives back sleeping sounds good. Thanks each of you for taking the time to share your lives with me and the support you give me.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • Faetta
    Options
    Heather Sitting test ---- 30 reps in 60 seconds. Standing test --- 3 seconds left leg and 2 seconds right leg and that is with a lot of wobbles.
  • Faetta
    Options
    Take the balance challenge. The link below has videos of how to do these tests. If so inclined, do the test and post results here.
    https://pptandfitness.com/how-to-test-your-own-balance/

Wobbly Faye
    PNW USA
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Balance Challenge

Results for Della Faye nearing age 70 - 142 lbs - 5' 9"
    Case history: Missing inferior vestibular nerve
    General fitness: Strong
    Attributes: Strong abs

#1 One Leg Open Eye - Goal 1 minute normal, under 30 seconds indicates a problem
    15 seconds no wobble 33 seconds with an extreme wobble
    *indication: vestibular nerve loss or malfunction especially in the vertical plane*

#2 Stand and Reach - Goal over 6 inches
    12"
    *indication: strong abs and back muscles overriding vestibular loss*

#3 Up and Walk - Goal under 14 seconds
    8 seconds
    *indication: general fitness and vestibular linear acceleration good*

#4 Five times Sit and Rise - Goal under 13 seconds
    7 seconds
    *Indication: balance in the horizontal plane is excellent*

• Katla49
    Options
    Heather: 24 stand up/sit down in 1 minute. How do I fall in the range?
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Machka I sincerely thank you, because I had never read all 12 categories of the forum guidelines in detail. I encourage everyone to read them. I can see several ways I have violated them. They are really more specific than most forums, yet simple to understand. I remind myself this forum is about fitness and health and this thread directed at women over 50.

I think most of us have violated at least a couple of these rules from time to time. We love to get off topic and go down rabbit holes in this thread. It's what makes it so much fun! We also tend to swerve into the political lane when we get passionate about a topic and have to be gently redirected. Do you belong to our group where we can talk about those things without violating the rules? I don't know how to direct you there, but somebody more knowledgeable than I can help, I'm sure. I'm not that active there, but I do pop in from time to time.
  • Faetta
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: 24 stand up/sit down in 1 minute. How do I fall in the range?

Excellent IMO!
  • Faetta
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »

I think most of us have violated at least a couple of these rules from time to time. We love to get off topic and go down rabbit holes in this thread. It's what makes it so much fun! We also tend to swerve into the political lane when we get passionate about a topic and have to be gently redirected. Do you belong to our group where we can talk about those things without violating the rules? I don't know how to direct you there, but somebody more knowledgeable than I can help, I'm sure. I'm not that active there, but I do pop in from time to time.

NO, I don't belong to that group.
  • drkatiebug
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »

Kay what’s your “metabolic workout”?

It's a 15 minute workout designed to get certain hormones activated. I tuned out their names when the guy was talking. I'll pay more attention if you really want to know what they're called. Anyway, you start with about a minute of warm-up exercises, kicking your legs and waving your arms around. Then (this is just one of them) you do push-ups, rows, jumping jacks, squats, and a plank. You do each exercise for 45 seconds, 4 times through, then do some cool-down stretches. There are no scheduled breaks. If you need to rest, you do. He says exercise until you can't, then rest until you can. He says if you do a certain number of reps or whatever, you will pace yourself instead of working as hard as you can to release the hormones.

this program is inside an academy that I paid a subscription to join. There are 6 different 15 minute workouts and a couple of 30 minute workouts. He will also tell you when 7 1/2 minutes are up in case 15 minutes is too long. He encourages you to take a 20 minute walk outside after the workout to keep the fat-burning going for a bit, but that is optional.

I had written a paragraph about the names of the people in the video, but then I took it out because that would come up in a google search. It could possibly be against MFP rules since they are competitors, so to speak, and also probably not a good idea since I paid to be a member of their site. I didn't want to ignore your question, though. Hopefully, this was at least vaguely helpful.
  • drkatiebug
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »

NO, I don't belong to that group.

@LisaInAR . can you send Faye an invitation to join our group? Thanks!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,758 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Faye ... all of us violate the community rules at one time or another ... I'd never read them either until Machka pointed them out today. I put things in spoilers sometimes if I think I might offend someone so they can scroll on by! B)

Generally, the only two no-no's that Barbie asks us to respect is no religion and no politics.

Beth
  • Katla49
    edited August 2020
    Options
    :heart: