WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Bananas - I was 52 when I met my husband. We met online. We got married 18 months later.
    I met my first husband on my 18th birthday, on the first day at uni. :o I was married after final exams at age 20.
    Glad you had a nice holiday. :D<3
    I have friends of 70 plus who live alone and they are very busy, adventurous and competent people with no cognitive issues. It must be hard for them sometimes, especially when they sustain an injury or are ill. I admire them. I couldn't do it. How things will be as they get older, I don't know. Ageing is not for wimps.

Kim and Diana - thinking of you and yours and all the affected people in the fires. I hear a pilot died.

Feeling much better down below. Long may it continue. The antibiotic course is 3 days.
    I nearly always get thrush afterwards, but I have my emergency supply of Canesten in the cupboard. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Kim and Debbie - many thoughts and hopes for less harrowing days ahead for you and your families. Please keep us posted when you can.

Julie - Welcome back home, good to see you posting again.

Cathy in Arlington - Well done on the run, good to see you posting again as well!

Barbara - So glad Joe got seen - hope it all continues well.

Everyone who's new, welcome!

Seriously tried to post three different times yesterday and lost them all--I was just very absent-minded all day, kept following Internet pig trails all morning, and kept shutting down my browser when I had a post begun in another window. I did get an article done but am letting it sit a few days before I publish it, as I'm not too happy with it. I'm seldom happy with anything I create until long after it's finished and I can see it objectively. Sometimes not even then.

After I was done on the elliptical, I went out and picked up the rocks in the yard and got them to the area where we're sorting all the different building materials. I only pick up the ones that are large enough to make me flinch if I run over them with the mower, and still ended up with the whole wagon full. Good resistance, pulling that load up the hill from the gate. Had to stop four times just to catch a breath. They were HEAVY.

This morning is the elliptical then watering the garden and the bushes, hauling hoses around the yard--it's a lovely temperature this morning, in the 60s (16c), but will be yet another hot. Might do some brush cutting (trimming lower limbs from the trees to make it easy to get the riding mower under them). Need to start preparing some of the brush already cut to put through the chipper for mulch for the winter, too.

Or I may go back to bed - didn't sleep well last night.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good morning

@bananasandoranges - We are headed to Pigeon Forge, Tennesse. The mountains are calling me! We have a cabin we rent on a mountain on an acre of land. It is like a second home for us. It is close to town yet secluded. We spend a lot of time walking during the day. Lots of cars to look at and shops to visit. We usually only eat one meal in town around 430ish. After that we head back to cabin to relax with mountain views, music, or playing pool. It is relaxing usually. We do come home on a Saturday which gives us Sunday to prepare for work on Monday. That is really nice. I call it my transition day. I am so glad your vacation ended up being wonderful after such a rough start!

Kylia in Ohio

Nice!

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Kim Debbie - My heart goes out to you. When I lived in the mountains, I was evacuated four times and even had smokejumpers landing within 50 feet of my cabin. It is a surreal sight to stand on a mountain top and watch-fires burning 1000's of acres. I fought fire one season and that was enough for me. I can't imagine being evacuated during this time of viral concern. Watching a wind-driven fire is horrifying. Time for some serious rain. I can't remember what year it was that we had the big BC fires at the same time as the Calif fires and north Oregon was like the vortex where all the smoke met and stayed for days.

Kylia Your talk about visiting that mountain cabin has me feeling nostalgic. It would be nice to have one to go to as a getaway.

Bananas I have friends and relatives in France and Spain and would love to vacation there, but that won't happen. Aging alone has its perks, but also a downside. I could never live isolated. Having people to check on you daily is important, at least to me.

Machka If everyone cleaned as you do, we could even stop the common cold.

Heather Hope you get to feeling better soon. Those intestinal issues can be hard to clear up.

Barbara Interesting on Joe's vision. Last few weeks I had had the same problem and eye doc and the surgeon says it is floaters. Also had a flash in the morning like lightning and they said that would clear up and it has, but my eyes still don't track right and may never due to glaucoma in one eye and nerve damage that doesn't allow the eye muscles to function properly.

Faye
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    From a few years ago, the morning sun, 8 AM, taken above White Salmon, Wa. during the forest fires. The camera without filter pointed directly at the sun.
    pfb7arjzzsja.jpg

Faye
    Columbia Gorge

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Barbara - Sending positive thoughts regarding Joe's vision and the pesky post-surgery blips clear up quickly. I was very happy to hear the process was successful. One down, one to go. At least pre-surgery stress will be reduced since the process has been completed once. It's something about the unknown that can drive us crazy. Either that or too much online research!

Also sorry about Joe's dad passing. It's really tough when there were early and possibly unresolved issues. Sending strength and positive thoughts to Joe.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Kim and Debbie,
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and those in close proximity of the fires. I have been following on the news.

I am not sure the hurricane is helping things by increasing winds. I know it was further south but those winds can stretch!
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    SuzieQ Is that moth a friend or foe? Many think I am crazy because I love praying mantis. I get all excited about seeing them on my plants. I tried hatching them one year and hatched hundreds, but a low survival rate.
    y3wi0wpw6idy.jpg
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Wow! Just flashed on my screen I have a 500 points badge. I am pinning that beauty on my best breast and posing with it forward.

I had to modify my morning sports bikini patio workout. I thought the sensation I felt while doing high leg lifts was just a nerve thing since I had just used the facilities. After donning fresh bottoms, I discovered I must do no more than 10 at a time to be safe. So another change to my routine. No more 50 reps of leg lifts continuously. I will do leg lifts at 10 reps and do 5 sessions woven into my routine.

75 degrees outside at 3 AM. Perfect for a scantly clad patio workout. The low lighting makes it more difficult for me because I have lost one balance nerve and my balance depends on my eyes and muscles. My opening Tai Chi moves to tell me how bad my balance is that morning and what stretches or touch exercises may be in order before getting into the strength-building routine. I always end my routine with my sashay down the hall where I can watch myself in a full-length mirror. How much hip movement to each side all the while walking a straight line.

I encourage you all to take the self-test of your vestibular system. Find out if you have a weak side and if so which one. This way you can give that side a little extra attention and hopefully slow the natural aging of your balance system. Strengthing your balance may save you from a fall that can have a serious consequence as we head toward the sunset.

If anyone is interested I will post the self test instructions again.

Faye the Columbia River brat
    Always out of kelter and all that
    A brat she is, full of pee and vinegar, but not spoiled
    More than 10 leg lifts, another bottom she has soiled
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I am up with Faith with just Alfie ,had to leave Homer at home as my brother is coming home to get meds for his pup Buddy..poor lil guy has hot spots and us in pain..im sure he will be going back up today..
    Thinking and praying for all that are in harms way ,through fire and hurricanes and any natural disasters that are plaguing our whole world...
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka If everyone cleaned as you do, we could even stop the common cold.

Faye

Happily, the number of people who have been cleaning and physically distancing has reduced the winter flu this year to practically nothing!!

7q7d5arduuo6.png
    https://dhhs.tas.gov.au/publichealth/communicable_diseases_prevention_unit/weekly_flu_update

You'll note that 2017 was a particularly bad year. I ended up spending weeks off work, as did most of my fellow work colleagues, because the flu swept through our offices, the city and the whole state. Sadly, 47 people died of flu that year.

Nevertheless, it's rare that we actually get a chance to see the effects of things like cleaning and distancing in this way and with this level of tracking. It's fascinating for medical science and is already the trigger for several research projects.

I am sincerely hoping that cleaning and distancing will continue long past C-19 to continue to prevent flus and other diseases.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Machka: It's interesting to see that figures for Jan and Feb were comparable to most other years.

Barbara: Sorry to hear about Joe's father. It's good that his eye is progressing normally after the op.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka: It's interesting to see that figures for Jan and Feb were comparable to most other years.

Yes, that's summer and not flu season.

Flu season doesn't start usually start till June (first month of winter) but as you can see, it surprised us last year and started early.

Last year (2019), I decided to wait as long as I could for the flu shot so that it would last through the winter. In both 2016 and 2017, I was the sickest in August and September. Great plan ... but I ended up getting very sick in April!! Then I had to wait until I was fully well to get the flu shot.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,706 Member
    Options

• Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    To the males that follow this thread. Please do not take it personally that I refuse your friend's request. I joined this site to share with women and finding this thread was an answer to my dream to find a place I could share with women of advancing years. I don't really see any benefit for me, friending males. I grew up with five boys and one girl as neighbors. I worked around male-dominated trades my entire life and for the most part, a great experience filled with good memories, however at this stage of my life I just want to hang with the girls that want to stay healthy and fit as possible. I have and will continue to refuse any male request. Some of you are handsome with impressive fitness and yes I admire your dedication and personal grooming, and yes, I am a natural-born female, but I have no desire to interact online. I am not interested in a relationship and that is to YOUR advantage!

To all To answer a couple of inquiries. I have never taken muscle enhancing steroids nor done anything but exercise and a good diet. I was never into competitive bodybuilding. Just my personal opinion but all that over defined muscle looks awful to me. I am not putting anyone down, it just was never my thing.

I was born with an inverted triangle build just like my mother, grandmother, and great grandmother. My broad shoulders were never as prominent as they are now because age and cancer have taken 3" off my hips. That 3' was mainly muscle. It will never come back. Gravity has taken the perk right out of my small boobs visually widening my shoulders even more.

Many modern young women take offense when I tell them that estrogen fueled muscle is not the same as testosterone-fueled muscle. Natural females cannot do what a male of the same size and strength does, without consequence. This in no way means we are inferior, just different. Estrogen allows our muscles to be more flexible and build in a different way. This is why women doing the same heavy hard task as a man may injure themselves easier. The muscles supporting our joints give more and it easier for a natural female to damage their back than a male of the same size, each doing the same task. This is why women have a higher rate of TMJ. Our jaw ligament gives more and it is easier for our jaw to get out of alignment and joints to wear and pinch nerves. Female athletes experience ACL tears 9 times that of male athletes doing the same sport.
    1u6p7fs9r39u.jpg

Faye near the river
    where the mighty
    sturgeon still swim
    iec2l7743idb.png