Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,629 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,811 Member
    Options
    Kim - I’ll have your state in my prayers.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    No walk photos today. I had uni at home today via their version of Zoom. We're starting Assignment 2 and my group has started. We've got a plan! And the assignment structure is all set up in our shared drive.

Then my husband walked me to where I catch the bus. The buses are much cleaner these days. I got off the bus at the first stop in the city and walked down to work.

I stopped in at a couple shops along the way ... kept my distance from other people and used the hand sanitiser made available to me, especially since I had been on a bus.

When I arrived at work, I washed my hands with soap and warm water up to the wrists, then made my coffee and got my cold water. Since I've been here, I have sanitised my office surface with the medical grade surface wipes they have given us all, have used more hand sanitiser, and have washed my hands with soap and water two more times. I've also wiped the surfaces in the kitchen with wipes and sanitiser, and in my area of the boardroom where I was for a zoom seminar meeting. I also cleaned the touch screen of my phone with sanitiser.

Most other people here are doing the same things. It's what we do now. Clean, clean and clean again. And Zoom.

My Walk
    Distance: 1.58 km
    Elevation: 0 m
    Moving Time:13:23
    Pace: 8:27/km

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,362 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Michele - the burning is the usual symptom, but I have had a very bad case of it in the past without the burning. I'm hoping that's it. My lower abdomen is a bit more comfortable today. I had a mild headache in the night, which can be a side effect of the antibiotics. I'm sure it was brought on by the heatwave. I am very susceptible to UTIs. I did up my liquid consumption, but maybe not enough. I inherited the weakness from my mother.
    My diagnostic strips are arriving from Amazon today, so in the future I will know more easily. I have been taking the D-Mannose every day, and it has been very good, but this last batch was a different kind. I'm throwing them away and getting my old variety again. This is the first attack since I've been taking them.
    I hope I'm right and don't have to go to the actual doctor IRL. Boo! I don't have a uterus, cervix, or ovaries,so it can't be them! :D

Thinking of cancelling my friend for tomorrow. :s Can't go out and can't face entertaining.

The floor sanding lady comes this afternoon for an estimate.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options

@kymarai where are you going on vacation?

@charsuzy that stinks about the loss of data and lack of help w MFP.

@Machka9 awesome that you have traveled so much.

@Faye enjoying your poems

@Snowflake1968 Also for the husband it was wierder then that. She said he was sleeping on the sofa and she at her mom's the 1st night, I heard the alarm at 6 am and I get up early and she was there not him. She said her husband left for work at 6:30 am and would work till 4pm, but I went out to the beach for sunrise and came back at 10h30 and he's on the sofa watching TV all day. I saw a post around my time saying some people apologised - they spoke about the smell of smoke so presumably left early or cancelled due to smell of smoke in their room. (presumably the hosts's regular bedroom).

5*HOTELS TO SLEEPING OUTSIDE I have slept in all sorts of places too: alone on the beach in Cannes at about 20 when I caught the wrong train back to my hostel at midnight. crazy! There were some people sleeping on the beach and I slept next to a guy who seemed safe and protective, without talking to him and it worked. I should have sprung for a hotel but I was fine. In a hostel in Nairobi. In hiking huts and tents countless times, in 6 bed sleeping cabins on train on top bunk of 3 layers of bunks, In a car a night or two, in youth hostels, camped in the men's hamlet in a meditation center...
    @cityjaneLondon I see your point about the luxury. I have mixed feelings about it.

I was in Arizona in august in a 5* hotel and I liked the place but the people popping by the pool offering watermelon seemed excessive. I can't help wondering how they live, if they are making a working living, things like that. At the Tour d'argent restaurant we had 10 people serve or help us for lunch. Just to go to bathroom 3 people helped pulling chair or something and showing the way. And a few years ago again I was in a 5star in Malta for a few days(only 20 euro more than the supposed 4 star with lame service, where the owner of the 4star hotel hung out!). I did like the sauna, and amazing view. Whereas last week I found a reasonably priced place mid-range that was absolutely delicious, really possibly the best tasting food I've had.The service was excellent but not over the top. But different tastes! I can also really enjoy it.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Back from vacation. Unable to read the 35 pages of posts. Skimming!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    HEAT WAVE
    I get up really early and do everything active before noon. Shut the windows and shades all day. And then emerge slowly after 6pm. I put on the fan at night and bring in the cool evening air.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    (((Margaret)))
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Faye that is amazing that you built your own log cabin. You did the right thing in not staying put and isolated after discovering the burial place.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Beth I'm so sorry ! good for you for declaring a complaint.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon Heather, how old were you when you met your husband?
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,382 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Howdy folks. Slept through the forecast storm last night. We are still getting gusts of high winds and showers are still a possibility. At least the oppressive heat has eased somewhat, (which for us means it now below 20*C 😂)

Heather: Glad to hear that you are on the mend.

Kim: I saw those fires on the news. Hope they pass you by at a safe distance. Praying for everyone affected.

Tracey: High School reunion 🤣🤣🤣

Cathy TX: Well done. Nice photo.

Julie: Welcome back. Sounds like you had a pleasant time.

Time for breakfast.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options

@Machka9 awesome that you have traveled so much.

I am so glad I travelled.

Some people questioned my decision to quit work, give up my apartment, put my stuff in storage and cycle around Australia for 3 months in 2004 ... but I had absolutely no regrets!!

After that, no one questioned any of my travels. :)

I've always thought that it was best to get my travels in while I was young because you just never know what the later years are going to bring. I'd still like to travel more, but given my husband's accident and the current situation, I am so thankful I went when I did!

If it is ever possible to travel again, I have a list of places I'd like to go ...

New Zealand - to explore their network of cycling trails. I've been to NZ but only to the airport in Auckland.

Japan, again - to cycle around Hokkaido, like to cycle around the edges. We've been to Hokkaido for about 10 days and enjoyed it but it was nowhere near enough time.

South Korea - to explore their cycling network. Apparently they've got some amazing sealed paths.

Hong Kong, again - for a long, long weekend or so. We spent 3 days there in 2012 and it is an experience.

Australia - train journeys! https://journeybeyondrail.com.au/journeys/indian-pacific/ Specifically the Indian Pacific and maybe the Ghan.

Russia - I'd like to do the Trans-Siberian Express. https://www.goldeneagleluxurytrains.com/journeys/ I like trains!!

Eastern Canada - cycling La Route Verte and further east.

France - of course. Like I've mentioned, I'd like to live there for a while. But I'd also like to cycle and cruise the rivers. We've cycled some of the tow paths along a couple of the rivers, but there's so much more.

That's a good start. :)

Meanwhile, we explore Tasmania.

M in Oz

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka9 Great that you had the foresight to get in travel when young or young-ish.

I have travelled my fair share. Thought I don't have major health issues I find it more tiring to travel.
    When I was 20 I could eat anything, sleep like a log anywhere (couchette, dormitory, etc) and be fine, and get over jet lag in a day, could backpack and walk for ages.
    Now I have sensitive stomach, can't eat everything, need an ok bed, relative quiet, etc., have foot and knee issues to watch...

Back from a week away I feel I need a day of rest!

• bananasandoranges
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I took 2 weeks vacation:
    mostly in normandy, just by the coast.
    I was fortunately in a cute airbnbmini-house near the forest with AC on some of the hottest days. In the forest it was comfortable to walk until 10 or 11 and possible without huge discomfort till bout 12.

I went to a great little restaurant by the sea 3 times.main dish and coffee and sometimes dessert was so delicious.
    Went on a 3 hour organised walk past some cliffs called the"black cows", guided by a local palentoleagist who runs the local museum. We learned a bit and collected some fossils and had a nice long walk with a bit of rain.
    I went to this great swimming pool in Deauville with ocean water in it. You had to reserve your time. I swam a kilometre the 2nd time.i haven't done that in ages. I used to swim 2 in an an hour, but now it takes me an hour to swim 1. I don't rush since I have joint issues.
    I had some nice conversations with some people.

I wanted to cancel the hotel to the rise in COVID here in France but the lady would have none of it. I think her position was contestable in relation to European and French law in regards to COVID but I didn't want to get into a legal battle so I kept the reservation and in fact really enjoyed myself. It's 200 m from the beach. No beach views but it was fine. Bathtub, comfy bed and room.
    I went to the sea for sunset and sunrise, and often midday.read the paper in a café, had 1 nice, but not expensive meal per day out. No car needed.

Then I went to old friends place for 1 night.
    Also near the sea, but on cliffs. We had bad weather.

It made me uneasy about ageing alone.
    The 2 ladies are thus:
    This friend was a director of an institution, and single mom, pretty dynamic. She seems really alone. Her home is in a stunning location, with view of the sea from the guest bedroom balcony, near ETRETAT with a big garden. But she had some quirks that seemed connected with ageing.
    -one of her toilets is broken
    -her hot water heater produces 2.5 litres of water per day in a bucket. This because the had a handyman fix them rather than an official plumber. Rather than repair the two she gathers water from the bucket downstairs to keep near the toilet. She has no financial issues I'm sure, and the toilet is very cheap to fix. (she was a director of an institution, had a house provided and saved a lot of money, travels to Iceland on organised tours...and said she has no financial issues
    - she said her room was so messy I couldn't see it
    -she doesn't want smartphone nor wifi, has no printer... These latter are more understandable, though not easy.
    She's also really into clairvoyance and magnetic healing and things like that. Realising I'm not into that she was rather secretive.
    She sees her son and 4 grandsons sometimes but otherwise is mostly alone.
    She gives meditation and dance classes for free locally and has 1 or 2 people per class.

And the lady down the way was more simple. A 70 + year old retired teacher, her husband died and she doesn't drive and plans to move, but is limited in her options: a place where a car is not needed and it's not too expensive nor too isolated.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    it's weird being back home. I got back in the evening a bit before a zoom meeting. dumped bag in the entrance and have barely budged since.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,629 Member
    Options
    Good morning

@bananasandoranges - We are headed to Pigeon Forge, Tennesse. The mountains are calling me! We have a cabin we rent on a mountain on an acre of land. It is like a second home for us. It is close to town yet secluded. We spend a lot of time walking during the day. Lots of cars to look at and shops to visit. We usually only eat one meal in town around 430ish. After that we head back to cabin to relax with mountain views, music, or playing pool. It is relaxing usually. We do come home on a Saturday which gives us Sunday to prepare for work on Monday. That is really nice. I call it my transition day. I am so glad your vacation ended up being wonderful after such a rough start!

I saw the CA fires on the news this morning and immediately thought of Kim and Debbie. Prayers for all!

We are getting a taste of Fall weather here. Cool nights, warm days, and ragweed.

Not much else.
    Welcome!
    Hugs!
    Congratulations!
    Love!

Kylia in Ohio