evil coffee creamer.....solutions?

Options

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have never been a milky coffee drinker, unless it's an iced coffee. It's funny how I started reducing my sugar in my normal coffee, but now often have latte lol. Any way if your sweet treat for the day is you couple of cups of coffee, I say drink them. Or if they aren't fitting in with your goals, maybe have one a day. I think it's important to have something you enjoy in your day. Also it is better than eating half a cake daily.....
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Coffee is really acidifying and blocks nutrient absorption. Your best move is to wean off of it. Otherwise try almond milk and stevia. Almond milk has 45-70 calories per cup, and stevia is 0 calories and natural! You can get unsweetend almond milk to avoid sugar and just get the sweetness from stevia.

Since coffee is the main reason I can pay my mortgage, I'll probably try to wean myself off when I retire.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Coffee is really acidifying and blocks nutrient absorption. Your best move is to wean off of it. Otherwise try almond milk and stevia. Almond milk has 45-70 calories per cup, and stevia is 0 calories and natural! You can get unsweetend almond milk to avoid sugar and just get the sweetness from stevia.

This is pretty much a myth. Caffeine is the culprit here, and it hinders the absorption of some minerals. This is effect is very small, though, and it should not be of a concern to anyone.
    Coffee is the greatest beverage.
  • Jackson_Rhoads
    Options
    This might not cut it for you if you like a strong creamer but pouring some rice milk into the coffee makes it taste a little better. Rice or almond milks have sugar in them you can find certain ones that have a low amount.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk and stevia no-calorie sweetener.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Not reading this thread so sorry if this is just of zero use....use milk or cream? We only use milk in coffee in Australia unless it's out of some hidious machine putting creamer powder in the fake coffee.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I just put a bit of milk on mine. Years ago I used to have sugar then I totally gave up and now can't stand sugar in coffee at all, it ruins the taste of the coffee. Most people I know in England have it black or with milk. I don't know anyone who uses creamers. The only time I'd have cream instead of milk would be at a restaurant.
  • mamatooboys
    Options

This is pretty much a myth. Caffeine is the culprit here, and it hinders the absorption of some minerals. This is effect is very small, though, and it should not be of a concern to anyone.

Coffee IS the greatest beverage! :glasses:
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    A growing body of research shows that coffee drinkers, compared to nondrinkers, are:
    less likely to have type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and dementia
    have fewer cases of certain cancers, heart rhythm problems, and strokes

The benefits outweigh any potential dangers of a little caffeine for me, especially since parkinson's runs in my family.
  • Betsnikel
    Betsnikel Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on those! I have found myself enjoying the sugar free flavors!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I like heavy cream, personally (a little bit goes a long way) and the DaVinci sugar free syrups are fantastic. I use them for coffee, italian sodas, etc.

That's when I'm not guzzling it black like a fiend, though.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Coffee is "my non-negotiable" item. I do not use sugar but I use regular or lowfat half and half (not fat free-tastes nasty to me). I have 3 cups per day and work around that---the rest of the day all of my beverages are zero calorie--thats unsweetened hot or iced tea or water. Enjoy your coffee but makes slight adjustment you can live with. Good luck.:smile:
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    marshmallows
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Starbucks cafe mocha. Then I switched to skim chai lattes. Now it's homeade coffee with ovaltine and skim milk. Thank God for my Kuerig. Saves money and calories
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Just use your sugar and creamers. Don't force yourself to eat and drink things you don't enjoy. Track your macros and calories, sugar is a carb. Stay in deficit and keep it moving. I use 2 sugars and cream in my coffee every day, doesn't hinder my progress.

In before a diabetic states how bad sugar is for diabetics. Remember OP, mentioned nothing about diabetes.

h10F846E9
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I never stopped using my creamer in my coffee, but I only have one cup a day, so I guess it's not too bad.
  • Mack237
    Options
    I use a sugar-free non-dairy powdered creamer from Kroger along with 2 packets of sweet 'n' low. Anything past first cup that is flavored with skim milk and sweet n low.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    A growing body of research shows that coffee drinkers, compared to nondrinkers, are:
    less likely to have type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and dementia
    have fewer cases of certain cancers, heart rhythm problems, and strokes

The benefits outweigh any potential dangers of a little caffeine for me, especially since parkinson's runs in my family.

Another benefit - my husband and coworkers are still living, right?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    A little dab of coconut oil in coffee is surprisingly good. But the person who said marshmallows could be an evil genius. Next time I come across a bag of marshmallows I can eat, I'm giving that a try.