Do I have to exercise?

Options

Replies

• Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If you tell yourself you are not a morning person, you won't be a morning person. If you tell yourself you hate exercise, you will hate exercise. If you tell yourself you are lazy, you will be lazy. Why don't you tell yourself something different and see if that makes a difference?

^ Thank you, listen up this man makes a lot of sense. Put your focus on your goals not your hurdles:wink:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Nope, not at all. If you eat properly, you will lose weight. I did it. Lost lots of fat. And lots of muscle. I'm substantially weaker now than I was when I was 70lbs overweight.

I wish I had exercised even a little bit, being weak sucks.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • mnapier3
    mnapier3 Posts: 30
    Options
    Just like everyone else, you can change your eating habits to help you lose weight. Adding in some type of exercise would be even more beneficial. Start out slow and take a walk, enjoy the scenery and the great out doors. Just do SOMETHING for at least 30 minutes a day and I'll bet you'll get hooked and want more. Get some cardio on and make your heart happy and healthy!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    If you want to date me you better!:angry:
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Nah, don't worry about working out. Obviously you are happy with your body the way it is, so just keep doing what you're already doing. No need to push yourself into doing something that would have amazing benefits to you inside and out.:huh:
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely lose weight without exercising. All you have to do is eat at a calorie deficit. I personally prefer exercising so I can eat more calories while staying at a deficit.

That's also one of my reasons for doing any exercise, lol
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Diet = Makes you look good with clothes on
    Diet + Exercise = Makes you look good naked as well

:wink:

^^^^This
  • Sweetredpoison
    Sweetredpoison Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would stick with making excuses, you seem pretty good at that.

Yes, actually I've become a master at excuses.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without exercising but if you want to take care of your health and not just your weight then I would definitely incorporate some regular activity.
    :drinker:

Exercise is important for so many other reasons than weight loss. Find something you like doing and you won't need to make excuses.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

At least we can agree on that.

You work 9-5. What do you do with the other 8 hours you're awake?
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Of course you can!! Its all about calorie in/calorie out. You just get more benefits with working out thats all :)
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Exactly. A 9-5 job is no reason to be lazy. I (Like most normal working people) work 7-5:30, go to school at night, have a child and a fiance that I have to cook dinner for and clean house for every night and I STILL make sure to make time to work out almost every day.You make time for what is important. If you want results, you work hard for them.
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Diet = Makes you look good with clothes on
    Diet + Exercise = Makes you look good naked as well

:wink:

this^^. I ate really well for about 6 weeks so it was a habit before I started logging and exercising. Too much all at once is very hard to stick to. Also, if you are eating better, with a focus on protein and lots of veg you will have way more energy and will be leaping out of the bed in the morning. I am most definitely not a morning person by nature, or so I thought. As I started on this journey things changed and I now exercise at 6am! Still shocks me when I think about it!! But I find I am wide awake once I get up at this time, and no snoozes at my desk. FYI most of my calories came from junk food before this journey, and I took a gentle walk about once a month. Drove everywhere. I was the greatest sloth.
  • leannerae40
    leannerae40 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You don't have to in order to lose weight as long as you lower your caloric intake.

I started by doing both...exercise and caloric deficit.

I too HATED exercising and have a full-time desk job but I made myself do it, no excuses. It's amazing what changes in 6 months. Now, I look foward to my workouts...I love them. I find they are such a huge stress reliever and I have so much more energy now than I used to have. Also, you will look A LOT better.

I started with pure cardio and that helped the weight drop but I was still flabby. Now that I have added weight lifting to my routine my body is starting to firm up a lot and the inches are coming off a lot quicker. I look so much better now and I have a confidence now that I haven't had in a long time.

Exercise is a bonus for your health, I would recommend it. Just start off slow, start with a walk and build from there.

Oh so much THIS^^^^
  • Sweetredpoison
    Options

I'm in grad school writing my thesis paper as well, HOWEVER you are correct. I have plenty of time. I know this. I just haven't tried yet. Reading all of these posts (yourself included) has been motivating. And I'm sure all of you will be glad to hear that tonight will be my "first" walk for exercise. :wink:
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was morbidly obese when I first started. I just started eating at a calorie deficit, and I lost weight. I started incorporating cardio and strength training slowly. It helps a bunch. I prefer to workout and eat a little more than eat at a lower calorie deficit. I sit at a desk job too.

My friend lost over a hundred pounds and she only gets normal daily activity. Does not work out. She has a desk job, but is very active on the weekends with her kids, and evenings with the family.
  • Sweetredpoison
    Options
    If you tell yourself you are not a morning person, you won't be a morning person. If you tell yourself you hate exercise, you will hate exercise. If you tell yourself you are lazy, you will be lazy. Why don't you tell yourself something different and see if that makes a difference?

I need to write this down and adapt it into a mantra. Seriously! :laugh:
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

I'm in grad school writing my thesis paper as well, HOWEVER you are correct. I have plenty of time. I know this. I just haven't tried yet. Reading all of these posts (yourself included) has been motivating. And I'm sure all of you will be glad to hear that tonight will be my "first" walk for exercise. :wink:

Wait.
    STOP.

You mean to tell me that you're actually going to use advice you got on the forums, and do something about it? You mean you're not going to call all the people that were honest, mean?

costanza-clapping.gif
  • Sweetredpoison
    Options
    :laugh: LOL
This discussion has been closed.