Tried carnivore?

Options
13»

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Honest Question: What is the environmental impact of this sort of diet?

Pretty good in reality. Meat can in so many cases be grown local to the consumer and unlike produce and grains does not need to be shipped upwards of thousands of miles to reach its final consumer. It is grown on ground unsuitable for grains(rocky, too many wet spots, insufficient growth without tons of chemical added) and without pushing out the many, many varieties of natural wildlife that live on the land. The excrement can be spread on land that is in need of the nutrients and facilitates growth of crop while reducing the chemical additions. When you think of the fuel used to go over a piece of ground 5 or more times a year(more in areas where the growing season facilitates more than one yearly crop) vs the occasional animal health checks via atvs or a single half ton, there is even more environmental savings than just the ones listed above from burned fuel.

Before we started hobby farming my meat came from at most 150km away. Now it travels less than 5miles round trip for processing then back to my plate.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    jamloche wrote: »

It turns out that I never made it into ketosis and lost almost no weight at all. Why? Well, I finally did the reading, and it turns out our amazing bodies are able to convert excess protein into glucose. Who knew? At the end of the day, I would still have to limit my volume if I wanted to lose weight, and I lost interest immediately. If I have to restrict the VOLUME of food I eat, then I'd rather not restrict the KIND of food I eat.

I knew. I think a lot of people on keto diets aren't actually in ketosis because they eat too much protein. And all weight loss requires us to limit the amount of calories. The different plans really just make it easier for people to do that. One person may find that a balanced approach is the most satiating. Another may find that a carnivore diet is most satiating. A third may find high carb and a fourth high fat to be most satiating. You just have to find what makes you feel best, but you still have to eat less than you burn off (fewer calories, not necessarily less volume) in order to lose weight.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jamloche wrote: »
    I tried the carnivore diet, but I was only interested in weight loss ... I guess I viewed it sort of like the "Keto Diet" without all the reading. In my ignorance, I believed that fewer carbs meant more weight loss, so shooting for "Carnivore Diet" seemed to be a great way to eliminate ALL carbs and eat as much meat as I want. That sounded like keto-heaven to me. But it didn't quite work out that way.

Enter reality. Exit joy.

It turns out that I never made it into ketosis and lost almost no weight at all. Why? Well, I finally did the reading, and it turns out our amazing bodies are able to convert excess protein into glucose. Who knew? At the end of the day, I would still have to limit my volume if I wanted to lose weight, and I lost interest immediately. If I have to restrict the VOLUME of food I eat, then I'd rather not restrict the KIND of food I eat.

I would recommend more a bit more research. First off, both excessive fats and proteins and go through gluconeogenesis. It's often at a 60/40 ratio. So reducing protein for more fat would only cause greater amounts of fat to be converted (given equal calories). Second, gluconeogenesis is a demand driven process... It only happens when it truly needs glucose for red blood cells and the cns.

Given you don't need to produce ketones or be in ketosis for fat loss, the reason you weren't losing was from too many calories. I suspect you know that since you discussed reduction of volume.

OP, i ran the Keto diet for about six months during my last cut. I never go low enough and ate foods that wouldn't have been carnivore approved. I enjoyed how full i felt with Keto and how much longer i could go without food. I ultimately came off for two reasons; 1. The significant impact on my gym performance (like 25% reduction to all my lifts) and 2. I enjoy large amounts of fruit.

My concern with carnivore is a bit of the unknown. There is a lot of data (hundreds of studies) supporting the benefits of fruits and vegetables. There is practically no data on a diet void of them.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but I keep reading this as Tired Carnivore. :|