Science of weight loss and menopause

Options
Does anyone have a link to a thread that covers this really well? Or an article that dumbs it down and explains weight loss is still possible?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Any links of discussions from this board that goes over it extensively? Seems like I’ve seen talks like this a lot over the years but can’t find the threads.

• Ddsb11
    Options
    I’m not in menopause, just trying to connect my coworker with information she requested. My CICO explanation isn’t translating well enough for her. And now multiple women have asked for something to read regarding the topic as they are currently dealing with menopause as well.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I lost over 1/2 of my body weight at age 60. There are a lot of myths out there about weight loss. The fact is, anyone, at any age, can lose weight by eating less calories than your body burns, baring any medical conditions. You have to find what works best for you. You’ll find a lot of excellent advice on this site from people that have had success. There’s no magic pill, or one system that works for all. You have to find what works for you, often times through trial and error. You know yourself best, picking and choosing, what will work for you.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    I’m not in menopause, just trying to connect my coworker with information she requested. My CICO explanation isn’t translating well enough for her. And now multiple women have asked for something to read regarding the topic as they are currently dealing with menopause as well.

It's the same advice any time it comes up, though.

It's still about finding your own personal plan, eating fewer CALORIES and getting help with any emotional issues.

It's not a curse or something that makes weight loss impossible, lots of women lose weight at all stages of life.

Tell them to join this site and start logging food.

Click "Search" at the top of this thread, when the search text box appears, click the drop-down arrow. In the field where it says, "Title," type, "Menopause."

I got 100 pages of results from that search.

Perfect- I’ll search that and send them the link. I would love for them to join so I don’t have to be the middle person for info. Don’t know how I got roped into this.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    I lost over 1/2 of my body weight at age 60. There are a lot of myths out there about weight loss. The fact is, anyone, at any age, can lose weight by eating less calories than your body burns, baring any medical conditions. You have to find what works best for you. You’ll find a lot of excellent advice on this site from people that have had success. There’s no magic pill, or one system that works for all. You have to find what works for you, often times through trial and error. You know yourself best, picking and choosing, what will work for you.

That’s exactly right. They have so many years of myths and belief systems in place I can’t begin to tackle it all. Which is why I’d prefer to give them some reading to do themselves. That’s how I learned too.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    Direct them to this thread, too. It can be done.

58 and lost 90 (About 40% of starting body weight.)

There’s some good threads over on Success Stories, too.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    I certainly will. Hopefully your stories will give them hope!
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There may be some good menopause threads here. (I particularly endorse the idea of looking in "Success Stories", as stories and before/after photos sometimes have more persuasive push than a Pubmed cite, depending on the audience). However, there are also a lot of threads here that are more "woe is me" focused, unfortunately.

One thought that's not exactly reading matter:

Go to Sailrabbit (TDEE calculator). (https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/) This offers multiple research-based (science!!) formulas for estimating calorie needs. Run the numbers for yourself as if you were a younger age (premenopause) and an older one (postmenopause).

If I run it for myself (5'5", 129 pounds), my 40 year old self's BMR (basal metabolic rate, i.e., calorie needs before any activity at all) would be estimated at 1256-1333. At 60, BMR would be estimated at 1156-1239. (Presumably, at 40, most women would be pre-menopausal, but you could go younger; and most would be post-menopausal at 60.) So, maybe 100ish calories difference, for the average woman, from 20 years of aging, years that included menopause for most. I'd betcha that most of your friends think the difference in 'metabolism' pre & post is more than that "roughly one Tablespoon of peanut butter daily" kind of amount. 😉

I kinda think one tablespoon of peanut butter's worth of calories daily is going to sound like something most of us could control. Or pick some other persuasive equivalent in food, or exercise.

Now, here's where it gets fun: Remember when folks above said muscle mass declines were part of this story? Sailrabbit also offers formulas that use body fat percent (implicitly, they adjust for muscle mass).

Recompare the numbers, using 25% body fat (at random, though I'm probably not way far off that): At age 40, looking only at the formulas that consider body fat percent, BMR is estimated at 1316-1465. At age 60, it's estimated at . . . 1316-1465. Hmmm.

Between those things, and considered in light of the daily life activity decreases that tend to come with age (and are even more extreme with lower fitness), this starts to sound like things we can influence, doesn't it?

Bottom line, I'm arguing what several others are: Calorie needs for the average person decrease with age, if nothing is done to improve fitness and increase activity to counter that. Reseach-based statistics say the difference is surprisingly small. Weight loss post-menopause is still about getting calorie intake below calorie output . . . it can just be a little harder because the calorie number has (for many women) become a bit lower, plus we've grown used to (1) eating more and (2) being relatively more inactive - those are grooved in, long-term, subconscious habits.
    Case history, in case it helps: Lost about 50 pounds in 2015, at age 59-60, and of course post-menopausal, after about 3 previous decades of obesity (just over the line into class 1 obese, usually mid-180s pounds or so at 5'5"). I've maintained a healthy weight mostly in the 120s/130s since then, to current age 64, at 128.4 pounds this morning. Did I mention that I'm also severely hypothyroid? (That's another common thing that some people say makes weight loss "impossible", that I personally found had little or no impact, for me, when properly medicated . . . but like menopause, it's a good excuse. 😉) Personally, I didn't even significantly change exercise routines to lose weight (but I was already quite active athletically, even while obese.)

Here's a thing I hate: Women feeling powerless, even over things where we have major influence, possibly even full control. It's too common. Recognizing that we've let common assumptions rob us of a sense of agency about our body weight and fitness level . . . it's kind of tragic, really. We get to make our own choices, and if someone doesn't choose to make changes to eating and activity, that's her choice, too. But the choices are still available, not wiped out by aging, or menopause.

I hope you can persuade them.

I completely forgot about sailrabbit. I have to admit, I used to geek out over different ways to play with numbers when I was fasting years ago. I no longer fast so it kind of fell off my radar. But there’s so much data and information, it’s a perfect example to share with them so thank you.

“Here's a thing I hate: Women feeling powerless”

I suppose that’s how I got roped into this- seeing how they felt they had little to no control over their bodies when that is far from the truth. Knowledge is the only thing I believe can turn that around. Nothing I can say or do will influence them for long. Not that I intended to influence them, but since they asked, I feel the least I can do is share your words of wisdom, experiences, and the data that validates they DO have more control than they think.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There may be some good menopause threads here. (I particularly endorse the idea of looking in "Success Stories", as stories and before/after photos sometimes have more persuasive push than a Pubmed cite, depending on the audience). However, there are also a lot of threads here that are more "woe is me" focused, unfortunately.

One thought that's not exactly reading matter:

Go to Sailrabbit (TDEE calculator). (https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/) This offers multiple research-based (science!!) formulas for estimating calorie needs. Run the numbers for yourself as if you were a younger age (premenopause) and an older one (postmenopause).

If I run it for myself (5'5", 129 pounds), my 40 year old self's BMR (basal metabolic rate, i.e., calorie needs before any activity at all) would be estimated at 1256-1333. At 60, BMR would be estimated at 1156-1239. (Presumably, at 40, most women would be pre-menopausal, but you could go younger; and most would be post-menopausal at 60.) So, maybe 100ish calories difference, for the average woman, from 20 years of aging, years that included menopause for most. I'd betcha that most of your friends think the difference in 'metabolism' pre & post is more than that "roughly one Tablespoon of peanut butter daily" kind of amount. 😉

I kinda think one tablespoon of peanut butter's worth of calories daily is going to sound like something most of us could control. Or pick some other persuasive equivalent in food, or exercise.

Now, here's where it gets fun: Remember when folks above said muscle mass declines were part of this story? Sailrabbit also offers formulas that use body fat percent (implicitly, they adjust for muscle mass).

Recompare the numbers, using 25% body fat (at random, though I'm probably not way far off that): At age 40, looking only at the formulas that consider body fat percent, BMR is estimated at 1316-1465. At age 60, it's estimated at . . . 1316-1465. Hmmm.

Between those things, and considered in light of the daily life activity decreases that tend to come with age (and are even more extreme with lower fitness), this starts to sound like things we can influence, doesn't it?

Bottom line, I'm arguing what several others are: Calorie needs for the average person decrease with age, if nothing is done to improve fitness and increase activity to counter that. Reseach-based statistics say the difference is surprisingly small. Weight loss post-menopause is still about getting calorie intake below calorie output . . . it can just be a little harder because the calorie number has (for many women) become a bit lower, plus we've grown used to (1) eating more and (2) being relatively more inactive - those are grooved in, long-term, subconscious habits.
    Case history, in case it helps: Lost about 50 pounds in 2015, at age 59-60, and of course post-menopausal, after about 3 previous decades of obesity (just over the line into class 1 obese, usually mid-180s pounds or so at 5'5"). I've maintained a healthy weight mostly in the 120s/130s since then, to current age 64, at 128.4 pounds this morning. Did I mention that I'm also severely hypothyroid? (That's another common thing that some people say makes weight loss "impossible", that I personally found had little or no impact, for me, when properly medicated . . . but like menopause, it's a good excuse. 😉) Personally, I didn't even significantly change exercise routines to lose weight (but I was already quite active athletically, even while obese.)

Here's a thing I hate: Women feeling powerless, even over things where we have major influence, possibly even full control. It's too common. Recognizing that we've let common assumptions rob us of a sense of agency about our body weight and fitness level . . . it's kind of tragic, really. We get to make our own choices, and if someone doesn't choose to make changes to eating and activity, that's her choice, too. But the choices are still available, not wiped out by aging, or menopause.

I hope you can persuade them.

I completely forgot about sailrabbit. I have to admit, I used to geek out over different ways to play with numbers when I was fasting years ago. I no longer fast so it kind of fell off my radar. But there’s so much data and information, it’s a perfect example to share with them so thank you.

“Here's a thing I hate: Women feeling powerless”

I suppose that’s how I got roped into this- seeing how they felt they had little to no control over their bodies when that is far from the truth. Knowledge is the only thing I believe can turn that around. Nothing I can say or do will influence them for long. Not that I intended to influence them, but since they asked, I feel the least I can do is share your words of wisdom, experiences, and the data that validates they DO have more control than they think.

Throw some real people before'n'afters at them, too, I'd suggest, with the personal stories. (There's a reason traditional "women's magazines" always explain factual material with cutsie personalized stories.😉)

I know for sure that @springlering62, who posted on this thread, has a corker of a story with photos somewhere around here . . . maybe we could persuade her to overcome her tasteful modesty about it, and give you a link? I'm not sure about others in the thread, maybe they have some links for you, too?

I haven't done a thread myself, but if it would help there's a post on this thread, here, with photos from a couple of years back. (Weight's about there now, too - 128.4 this morning, at age 64, in year 4+ of maintenance.)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40778519#Comment_40778519

That's from a good thread you could mine for other stories. It's here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10047153/55-65-year-old-womens-success

One side comment: I think it's great what you're trying to do, to empower others. I hope you won't become so invested that you'll feel badly if it doesn't work. You can lead a horse to water, and all that sort of thing, y'know? But you're wonderful to be making the attempt!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    my own n= 1.

Lost weight in 2013, then aged 50 and still getting periods.

Have been in maintenance since end of 2013- over that 7 year time span I completed menopause and now aged 57, have not had a period for 3 years (last one at 54)

My lifestyle - as in work, activity level, way of eating etc - has not really changed -and surprise surprise! - I am maintaining on same number of net calories

any differences in calorie requirements post menopause, all other things (activity level etc) being equal - is so small that it has made no difference at all to me.

• Ddsb11
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. To my shock they downloaded MFP and are reading the stickies. *hi ladies*

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm in peri and have definitely noticed it is slightly tougher to manage the weight. But not impossibly so. One thing I have recently read that may be of interest is that we typically maintain a lower body temperature after menopause. That requires a tad less fuel to maintain. The article linked below mentions around 65 calories per day. But that is nevertheless meaningful if you are not factoring it in. Added to dwindling muscle mass if you have not addressed that issue and you can see how the little things can add up to a really rather tiresome whole.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5242227/