Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How often do you log your weight/weigh yourself?

13»

Replies

• cgvet37cgvet37 Member Posts: 1,168 Member Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Once a week. I understand there will be fluctuations. For example, I have been sick for a week, so my diet hasn't been the same. I expect to be up slightly when I weigh in on Saturday. Once I get closer to my goal weight, I may weigh daily.
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 8,366 Member Member Posts: 8,366 Member
    I feel like there could be an interesting study in comparing people's responses on this thread and the how often do you shower/bathe thread. ;)
  • TurquiseTurtle7TurquiseTurtle7 Member Posts: 13 Member Member Posts: 13 Member
    I weigh at the same time every day, before eating. I expect about 1 lb of fluctuation on any given day and don't get discouraged by that. I find the daily weigh-ins motivating, plus it's interesting to see what all goes into the fluctuations. I also feel like watching every day allows me to correct course early if something isn't working for me. Probably most of all, I just like the feeling of recording my daily progress. It keeps me mindful throughout the day.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Member Posts: 1,356 Member Member Posts: 1,356 Member
    If I don't weigh every day and make it a habit, I get intimidated by the scale and try to game it. So I do best weighing every day and watching it fluctuate, because I'm learning my body and what it does. Today I've retained a lot of water since I went to bed physically sore last night, and I got on the scale this morning just to see how much extra water I was going to retain. (5 pounds!) And it's entertaining to correlate the number on the scale with the fit of my clothes. Today I would have known I was retaining water just from the way my clothes fit, and I know that tomorrow I'll want to allow for that too, but by Thursday it should be better.
  • rltolle2015rltolle2015 Member, Premium Posts: 7 Member Member, Premium Posts: 7 Member
    I only weigh myself about once every two weeks. I got frustrated weighing more often. When I would see a fluctuation I would throw the whole day out the window. I’m trying to focus more on consistency with healthy habits rather than the scale. It’s working right now but who’s to say I might change it up tomorrow or next month. 🤷‍♀️
  • spiriteagle99spiriteagle99 Member Posts: 2,838 Member Member Posts: 2,838 Member
    I weigh every 2-3 days. I don't usually log it though, since my focus is staying within my 5 lb. maintenance window and there is often a 1-2 lb. fluctuation that is pretty much meaningless. As long as I am still in that window, I don't worry about it unless it is consistently high or low. I only log the weight change if it is significantly different and makes a difference in my calorie goals (i.e. if I am on the road for a month or more and gain more than 5 lbs., then I want to track the loss.)
  • Taytaylynn92Taytaylynn92 Member Posts: 140 Member Member Posts: 140 Member
    1-2 times a week. I try not to do anymore or i get obsessed.
  • SModa61SModa61 Member Posts: 304 Member Member Posts: 304 Member
    Myself, it varies. But I find that there is a direct correlation between consistency of weighing, and the attention I am giving to my diet, fitness, and health. Right now, it is even morning. During the first months of COVID, while I was gaining, it was a miracle if I weighed once a week, or even two.

Now, you may have noticed that you have a wide range of responses. There are people that are motivated by the data of weighing. On the other hand, there are people that find that same information demoralizing. And people all in between. You need to figure out how you will respond to the data and how to customize what is right for you.
  • DancingMoosieDancingMoosie Member Posts: 6,005 Member Member Posts: 6,005 Member
    Daily. Hormonal fluctuations may cause me to "gain" a pound, but it drops after a day or 2.
  • jungkooksdonut17jungkooksdonut17 Member Posts: 151 Member Member Posts: 151 Member
    I weigh myself and log my food daily, since it's easy to keep track of my weight loss and fluctuations with the myfitnesspal reports. As for when I'm on my menstrual cycle, I tend to just suffer, because honestly, not even food helps with cramps so I figure what's even the point. So no, I don't allow myself extra calories.