Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Organic Food is Good for Weight Loss?

sal10851
sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
My friend argues that organic foods help with weight loss. I argue that a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. A 50 calorie organic cookie is still 50 calories worth of food. If you eat too many organic cookies you still gain the same amount of weight! Am I missing something here?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Nope. Weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    The one logical argument I have seen for organic food aiding in weight loss is that it costs more so you can’t afford to eat as much :p

I guess I would think twice about eating a 15 dollar steak versus a 10 dollar steak. Maybe I would split the 15 dollar steak and save it for another meal. Very interesting.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    The one logical argument I have seen for organic food aiding in weight loss is that it costs more so you can’t afford to eat as much :p

Exactly what I was thinking too🤣🤣
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    And what is your friend's specific explanation for precisely how and why, nutritionally or physiologically, organic food is better for weight loss? It seems like that explanation would be pretty fascinating.

Because no, there's no evidence for that. 😆
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    100% does not matter. Organic food isn't less calorie dense or more nutrition than non-organically raised food.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    edited September 2020
    Organic does not matter. As you said, calorie is calorie

That said, many already prepared organic foods try to hook the"health concious", so, for example use whole meal flour or oats, have less sugar or replace sugar with date puree, etc. That may have an effect either by leading to lower calorie snacks, or by at least having a few more nice nutrients in them (dates are high in calorie, but also have some minerals and vitamins that plain sugar is missing).

That's not because the food is organic, though, but is only a side effect from shops trying to sell to a larger crowd.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Calories determine weight loss.

The danger of organic food is that it can distract a person from really making their lifestyle healthier. You can't switch to organic food and dismiss things like:

1)Eating a healthy number of calories
    2) Eating enough of a variety to cover nutritional needs including fiber
    3) Exercising
    4) Improving sleep habits
    5) Managing stress
    6) Minimizing negative or draining relationships

The above is not exhaustive and not in order of importance. The priority changes based on individual needs and sometimes it is better to work on the easy-to-solve items first because it improves the handling of the others.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Energy deficit is good for weight loss...
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Only because it costs more and you cannot buy as much.

But seriously, a calorie is a calorie...
  • The one logical argument I have seen for organic food aiding in weight loss is that it costs more so you can’t afford to eat as much :p

lol

Calories are calories.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Yeah it's good for losing weight, , , , , , , IN YOUR WALLET!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Maybe, but the science is hardly sound on that. The only issue that might affect it is the amount of Round-Up, which does have antibiotic properties to it, on the microbiome -- which does directly influence weight.

I try to eat organic grains/beans and stay away from vegetable oils. I also don't eat a lot of ready processed foods. If you want to limit Round-Up, that will do it for the most part. Also stay away from mint if not organic.

Monsanto did take a patent out on Round-Up as a possible antibiotic. Obviously, it's not an antibiotic docs use, but it does kill bacteria in our guts. And when they claim there's "no shikimake pathway", they are completely leaving out the notion that the bacteria in our microbiome aren't human cells and some can uptake the Round-Up. Now how much influence this can have on metabolism is questionable, but I certainly think it can limit the diversity of the microbiome over time, which can be very concerning for our health.

If you're concerned, stay away from non-organic beans and grains and fried foods. But to buy all organic gets very pricy. IMHO, not worth it.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    But what your friend is saying is ludicrous.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    sal10851 wrote: »
    My friend argues that organic foods help with weight loss. I argue that a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. A 50 calorie organic cookie is still 50 calories worth of food. If you eat too many organic cookies you still gain the same amount of weight! Am I missing something here?

Curious what mechanism your friend has identified for this...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Organic food production methods are better for the soils than the intensive farming methods to which we have become accustomed.

• 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    I eat organic....energy burned has nothing to do with organic. I do that because I want the highest nutritional value from my food. I eat nutritionally dense food and maintain a caloric deficit for weight loss.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    I broke of purposely to provoke. So you bit.

The nutritional benefits of a calorie make one calorie more beneficial than another. Balanced nutrition is all, which one usually finds out when a body becomes malnourished and ill.

When foods are produced organically the outcome is the food is of higher nutritional quality and freshness compared to foods produced on tired, lifeless soils in "factory style" systems which degrade the soils even more than they were and promotes erosion, all that when our soils are precious. Without good soils there will be less foods for everyone everywhere. The British Soil Association is a cornerstone of our food production.

Thank you above for the post about Roundup and Monsanto. One more reason not to visit, sorry.