*real beef?

Options

Replies

• IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I prefer a nicely marbled rib eye thanks.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    All meat of every kind is processed. If it wasn't, the animals would kick you as you gnaw on them.

Wow, guys...way to miss the point by trying to correct my choice of wording...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If it's less greasy, it has less fat, which means it's probably just a better cut of meat than what you normally buy (ground chuck vs. filet mignon, for example).

The calories should be the same.

If it's got less fat and the cut is better, likely, the calories are NOT the same, as less fat usually means less calories (unless it's a product where sugar is added to compensate for taste.)

The same cut from the grocery store is going to have the same calories as the same cut from his friend's cow. THAT was my point.

It's ground. There is no "cut." Obviously there is lass fat though...is my point.

Strong logic, different cuts of beef are ground to make ground beef. For instance a good burger blend would use a mix of short rib, brisket and sirloin.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that all beef comes from cows.
  • aliencheesecake
    Options
    Wow. How many calories do you log for being so full of yourself?

I'm sorry, how is a legitimate question "full of myself?"
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    If it's less greasy, it has less fat, which means it's probably just a better cut of meat than what you normally buy (ground chuck vs. filet mignon, for example).

If it's got less fat and the cut is better, likely, the calories are NOT the same, as less fat usually means less calories (unless it's a product where sugar is added to compensate for taste.)

The same cut from the grocery store is going to have the same calories as the same cut from his friend's cow. THAT was my point.

It's ground. There is no "cut." Obviously there is lass fat though...is my point.

Just to remind you again...

.... if it's hamburger....93/7, 85/15, 80/20, 73/27

he could have given you 80/20 and you buy 73/27.
    That would be the difference in the amount of fat you see.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

If it came off the animal, there is a cut, or it's an amalgamation of multiple cuts. Everything came from some part of the cow.

If it is lower USDA grade it has less marbling, higher grade has more marbling. Obviously you look before you grind. Also how much fat is trimmed before grinding will change the cals.

I would just log it as ground chuck, and if you start losing weight too fast, eat more of it.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    The stuff at the grocery store isn't real beef??

What if I don't know anyone with a cow???
    Real cows say moo, grocery store cows say μ.
    LOL.
    Thanks! I'm glad someone gets it. I'm not interested in mincing words about "real" or unreal, "processed or not (yes, to the poster who said butchering IS processing.) I think you all get my point. It's not got an additives, antibiotics, and a lot better quality than what is at the grocery store.
    Erm, no. I was being satirical.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Except when it comes from a horse.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_meat_adulteration_scandal

:laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

LOL.
    Thanks! I'm glad someone gets it. I'm not interested in mincing words about "real" or unreal, "processed or not (yes, to the poster who said butchering IS processing.) I think you all get my point. It's not got any additives, antibiotics, and a lot better quality than what is at the grocery store. I was just wondering if anyone who also eats this kind of meat would know how the calories in the ground meat stack up.
    Antibiotics do not have calories.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    derptastic
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

But the ground beef comes from a cut. Typically this is chuck steak...fat can be cut away from the chuck to lean out the GB...also sirloin is often used to make very lean GB. Also grass fed cattle tend to be less fatty.

You're not going to get a true answer here because it's going to be very subjective...really, it's pretty subjective for any meat whether it comes in a packages stating XXX calories per serving or from a butcher with unmarked packaging. It's all going to depend on how much fat exactly is in it which is hard to be exact about.

Just give it your best go...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    derptastic

LOLing....
  • aliencheesecake
    Options

If it came off the animal, there is a cut, or it's an amalgamation of multiple cuts. Everything came from some part of the cow.

If it is lower USDA grade it has less marbling, higher grade has more marbling. Obviously you look before you grind. Also how much fat is trimmed before grinding will change the cals.

I would just log it as ground chuck, and if you start losing weight too fast, eat more of it.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think losing weight TOO fast will be an issue. ;)
  • aliencheesecake
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who offered actual advice! :D
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    "The National Cattlemen's Beef Association, which says it supports all forms of beef production, echoes this much-ado-about-not-much theme. Shalene McNeill, who has a Ph.D. in human nutrition and is executive director for human nutrition research at the association, acknowledges that "if you feed (cows) grass, you can slightly increase the omega-3 content, but if you look at it in terms of a whole diet, it's not a significant advantage to human health."

Ditto, McNeill says, for some other "good" nutrients. Yet a 6-ounce grass-fed beef tenderloin may have 92 fewer calories than the same cut from a grain-fed cow."

I cut this from an article on CNN that indicates that at least from a calorie perspective, all beef is not necessarily the same. I hope it is of some value.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/29/grass.grain.beef.cookinglight/index.html
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    from real cows too, not imaginary ones
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    my butcher tries to tell me the ground meat he sells is 90/10. BS! its more like 80/20. soo fatty.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Lets step away from "real vs unreal beef for a sec...

Assuming your friend had the cow butchered and asked for lean or extra lean ground beef to be made, then yes, this meat would then have less fat than what you typically buy in a grocery store (assuming you didn't buy lean or extra lean before)

Butchers don't weigh out fat vs meat. We generally eyeball it. (shocking I know....)
    would it be better quality (depends)? Though I say yes, only because I like to support local industry. Buy "real" Beef People!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

You're a nerd. ;)