*real beef?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that all beef comes from cows.
    Except when it comes from a horse.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_meat_adulteration_scandal

:laugh:

tumblr_m8suyliiDq1rtzqu2.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Wow. How many calories do you log for being so full of yourself?

I'm sorry, how is a legitimate question "full of myself?"

It's not a legitimate question. It's an idiotic question, implying that the meat from your friend is a whole different animal than the meat in the store (pun intended).
    How do you think meat gets to the grocery store? It comes from cows that people raise. People like your friend. Your friends cows may or may not be healthier or tastier than the cow meat I purchase from my local butcher or grocery store. Like others have said, the nutritional data will depend on the cut and grade of the meat.

Ask your friend. He should be able to tell you if it's USDA Prime, Choice, Select, etc, and what part of the animal it came from. He can probably also tell you or estimate for you the fat content of the meat.

Also: LOL at someone getting all snobby about ground meat.

While he probably can't give a legit grade unless it was butchered at a USDA approved facility with an in house inspector... he can tell you how the meat was raised. If it subsisted completely on grass, be happy, you have superior beef. If corn or soy, be sad, you have industry meat.

That said, there's no different in calorie count that is important enough to worry about. Especially for ground, which unless you do it by hand, and are like me, is usually trimmings and crappier meat. What is important is the lean to fat ratio, that's where the caloric count will be derived from. Find out that ratio, and you'll know. If you don't know it, assume it's 80/20, unless it's really dry when cooked past rare/med rare. If it's dry, it's going to be closer to 90.

Really though, in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to matter much when it comes to kcal count. Maybe 20-30 cals here and there.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    so does imaginary beef look like this?

attachment.php?attachmentid=202909&stc=1&d=1328123013
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Just buy bologna, and forget about all the different cuts.
    Bologna has eyelids, ears, nostrils, tails, etc., which gets thrown into a vat and thoroughly mixed before being finely ground.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    from real cows too, not imaginary ones

tumblr_mj898jkIpf1qem3l9o2_250_zpsd702fa57.gif
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options

QFT
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

It's not a legitimate question. It's an idiotic question, implying that the meat from your friend is a whole different animal than the meat in the store (pun intended).
    How do you think meat gets to the grocery store? It comes from cows that people raise. People like your friend. Your friends cows may or may not be healthier or tastier than the cow meat I purchase from my local butcher or grocery store. Like others have said, the nutritional data will depend on the cut and grade of the meat.

Ask your friend. He should be able to tell you if it's USDA Prime, Choice, Select, etc, and what part of the animal it came from. He can probably also tell you or estimate for you the fat content of the meat.

How bout dem apples?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

According to my brother's girlfriend, she prefers cow bacon to pig bacon. :noway:

True story, my parent's bought a half cow and a pig from the butcher and she asked if the bacon was from the cow or pig.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I prefer a nicely marbled rib eye thanks.

this. filet suuuuuuuuuuucks
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

How bout dem apples?

s99T9KI.gif

It's still a "cut" of meat, too. It didn't miracle itself into ground form.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I'm happy for you, and I'mma let you finish but...

Add in a couple lardons in that filet, cover in finely ground and concentrated mushrooms and garlic, salt it and pepper it well, sear it on a grill, then wrap it in filo or pastry dough and finish in the oven.

Blow ya mind.
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try looking up organic or grass fed beef maybe??
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

Add in a couple lardons in that filet, cover in finely ground and concentrated mushrooms and garlic, salt it and pepper it well, sear it on a grill, then wrap it in filo or pastry dough and finish in the oven.

Blow ya mind.

ok, now THAT sounds phenomenal...i'll preheat the grill and grab a decent red. swing by around 8? #mandate
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Blow ya mind.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Blow ya mind.

One up.

Get a big slab of it, sear with a blowtorch, then cook in an oven that is able to maintain 60c until it reaches an internal temp of 55c. Let it rest, then sear again with the blowtorch.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

According to my brother's girlfriend, she prefers cow bacon to pig bacon. :noway:

True story, my parent's bought a half cow and a pig from the butcher and she asked if the bacon was from the cow or pig.

Well, technically cows do have fatty belly cuts, which is where bacon comes from on a pig (pork belly) - so there is such thing as beef bacon.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Blow ya mind.
    There is a restaurant in my hometown that makes the best filet (best STEAK) I have ever had in my life. They serve it in basically a puddle of garlic and butter and your knife will go through it like it's a stick of warm butter, too. O.M.G.

If only eating meat didn't make me sad now.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Blow ya mind.

Okay, all that^^^, but then put it on a rib eye (the filet and all).

ETA: and also the pile of butter and garlic from the post that sneaked in ahead of mine.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Anybody know how the calories stack up for unprocessed "real" beef (as in, NOT grocery store crap, but stuff from my friend's butchered cow?) I know it's way less greasy when I cook it.

If you mean the difference between grass fed beef and commercially farmed grain fed beef, you can go here:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

and type in "beef, grass fed" and get a list of cuts to choose from.

ETA: including "ground"
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Blow ya mind.

ok, now THAT sounds phenomenal...i'll preheat the grill and grab a decent red. swing by around 8? #mandate

Bastardized beef wellington. I'm sure it's tasty, but the original incarnation of the dish is well worth the time and effort (threw one together for a dinner party a few weeks ago to rave *kitten*' reviews. It took three days to properly prep, but it was better than sex on mescaline.)