Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I've been bulking since 1983.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I think I'm accidentally bulking...glad I'm still hitting the gym because it would all be fat otherwise! My weights are not where I'd like them to be, but an inconsistent schedule and ac problems combined with some weird issue on m squat is just throwing me off.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I think I'm accidentally bulking...glad I'm still hitting the gym because it would all be fat otherwise! My weights are not where I'd like them to be, but an inconsistent schedule and ac problems combined with some weird issue on m squat is just throwing me off.

Ugh. The A/C in my gym was out last week as well. Thankfully it was a deload week anyway so I just skipped the gym altogether. I hope it's fixed today. Been around 100F (38C) where I am.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Started a very conservative bulk about
    4 weeks ago, realised I’m not going to complete this year so may as well attempt to squeeze out a little my hypertrophy until the new year and restart contest prep then.

Currently up 7lb but most will just be extra glycogen
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So, I am trying to cut down my sets to see if I can still make gains with less work OR, if not, then to add in an extra workout day. Currently I train 4 day/week for 1-1 hr 15mins. Trying to cut down to 45 mins per session.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    alexmose2 wrote: »
    So, I am trying to cut down my sets to see if I can still make gains with less work OR, if not, then to add in an extra workout day. Currently I train 4 day/week for 1-1 hr 15mins. Trying to cut down to 45 mins per session.

I trained 3x full body for the longest time, then I went to four... then five... now six. This is the way ;)
  • GaryRuns
    Options

I've personally started reducing my rest time between sets. Most research on hypertrophy that I've seen shows that as long as the limiting factor in a particular set is the muscle, or group of muscles, you're working you will gain. The rest time just needs to be sufficient enough such that cardio, for example, won't be limiting your next set. That saves me time.

Also you might want to check out the 3/7 method. It's significantly more time efficient and research seems to indicate it's as effective, or even more effective, than more traditional training techniques. This video explaining it is okay. He's a bit wordy to explain such a simple idea, but it's the first hit I got in my search so lucky you! :smile:

https://youtu.be/MaBkJ4D2U8k
  • alexmose2
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »

I've personally started reducing my rest time between sets. Most research on hypertrophy that I've seen shows that as long as the limiting factor in a particular set is the muscle, or group of muscles, you're working you will gain. The rest time just needs to be sufficient enough such that cardio, for example, won't be limiting your next set. That saves me time.

Also you might want to check out the 3/7 method. It's significantly more time efficient and research seems to indicate it's as effective, or even more effective, than more traditional training techniques. This video explaining it is okay. He's a bit wordy to explain such a simple idea, but it's the first hit I got in my search so lucky you! :smile:

https://youtu.be/MaBkJ4D2U8k

thank you! its not really about time but moreso my life schedule. after thinking about it, i will probably just cut down leg volume on my current lower days and add another full leg day. that way im not spending ages in the gym on legs.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Well it’s taken 42 years but I think I’ve finally developed body dysmorphia, going to have to accept I’m going to be a tad fluffy for the next 6 months, I want that 4-5 lb, goodbye social life 😂
  • alexmose2
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Well it’s taken 42 years but I think I’ve finally developed body dysmorphia, going to have to accept I’m going to be a tad fluffy for the next 6 months, I want that 4-5 lb, goodbye social life 😂

Yep, it sucks to finally reach acceptance right with the end of a pandemic.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I fear we are nowhere near the end of the pandemic alas. Vast majority of the world not even vaccinated.
  • steveko89
    Options

I fear we are nowhere near the end of the pandemic alas. Vast majority of the world not even vaccinated.

Agreed. There's definitely a push for that narrative from some sources, though (my employer, for one. Thursday marks a "back to the office 100%" celebration... complete with photo stations, free breakfast, and a hashtag...).
  • alexmose2
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Agreed. There's definitely a push for that narrative from some sources, though (my employer, for one. Thursday marks a "back to the office 100%" celebration... complete with photo stations, free breakfast, and a hashtag...).

Yes yes totally get some places are much less vaccinated. In fact, I’m moving to a country with a lower rate myself.
  • steveko89
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Yes yes totally get some places are much less vaccinated. In fact, I’m moving to a country with a lower rate myself.

Vaccination rate aside (which isn't stellar in OH/KY at ~45%), this notion that "everything's fine, back to business as usual" with a growing list of mutations circulating doesn't sit right.

I'm privileged enough to be able to perform my job from home with full functionality, train exclusively in our home gym, and way down on the hermit end of the introvert spectrum; thus I'm selfishly rooting for another mandated stretch working from home just in time for my fall/winter bulk.
  • alexmose2
    Options
    Time to add more? Bout to go through a very stressful move so perhaps more cals will be helpful too! x17rfnfwvtwk.png
  • GaryRuns
    Options
    Time to add more? Bout to go through a very stressful move so perhaps more cals will be helpful too! x17rfnfwvtwk.png

It's a bit tough to see what your rate of gain is from the graph @alexmose2. If your rate of weight gain is on the order of 0.5-1% of your body weight per week you're golden. For example, I'm around 175lbs atm and so my rate of weight gain should be between 0.8 and 1.7 pounds per week for a "lean" bulk. I typically try to be at 1lb per week of weight gain. If you're not worried about keeping your bulk "lean" then of course there's no problem going above that.
  • pat_o_evans
    pat_o_evans Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yezzir,
    running a bulk until the end of September, I'm already up 4kg aiming for 90+
    I got a gym buddy but he's a bit of a stoner and needs a motivation kick, we train twice a week and I train legs solo.
    My nutrition is on point at the moment which feels RAD and I'm slowly upping the calories.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

It's a bit tough to see what your rate of gain is from the graph @alexmose2. If your rate of weight gain is on the order of 0.5-1% of your body weight per week you're golden. For example, I'm around 175lbs atm and so my rate of weight gain should be between 0.8 and 1.7 pounds per week for a "lean" bulk. I typically try to be at 1lb per week of weight gain. If you're not worried about keeping your bulk "lean" then of course there's no problem going above that.

That seems too high from what I’ve read. Eric helms suggests the figures you quote per month not per week.
  • steveko89
    Options

That seems too high from what I’ve read. Eric helms suggests the figures you quote per month not per week.

Same, Precision Nutrition recommends the following:
    20f1ofu64xrr.png
    Source:https://www.precisionnutrition.com/rates-of-fat-loss-and-muscle-gain

Anecdotally, I averaged ~1.4 lbs/month for my fall 2020 bulk and was happy with how much lean mass I was able to gain given my training age.
  • GaryRuns
    Options

There's a pretty wide range in the literature. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. That's why I put quotes around "lean". I really like this kinda simplistic but easy to understand article on the topic:

https://bonytobeastly.com/how-fast-to-gain-weight-bulking/

Also, for me, it's almost impossible to control my weight gain reliably at a finer level than about 0.5lb/week. If I try I drive myself crazy.