Home Workout Recommendations

Options
Looking for suggestions for best home workout. Books, youtube, anything. Since I will not be going back to the gym for a while I really need to do something to get my butt off the couch

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    The first question is what are you interested in doing?
    Strength training? Cardio?

What is your goal? Lose weight? Tone? Build muscle?

I recently found the body groove series and am thinking of adding that into my personal routine for some cardio variety (I have 4 different pieces of cardio equipment, but these videos looked like fun, so why not add them in).

https://www.bodygroove.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItbjL94uW7AIVl4zICh0I5A9jEAAYASAAEgKi7PD_BwE
  • AshenMoon
    AshenMoon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch not too long ago, it keeps me motivated and is a really good workout
  • MudDancer
    MudDancer Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

I recently found the body groove series and am thinking of adding that into my personal routine for some cardio variety (I have 4 different pieces of cardio equipment, but these videos looked like fun, so why not add them in).

https://www.bodygroove.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItbjL94uW7AIVl4zICh0I5A9jEAAYASAAEgKi7PD_BwE

My goal is weight loss, my preference is strength training
  • MudDancer
    Options
    AshenMoon wrote: »
    I started Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch not too long ago, it keeps me motivated and is a really good workout

I will check that out, thanks!
  • MudDancer
    Options
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    MudDancer wrote: »

Well, strength training is great for overall health and getting stronger, BUT it isn’t going to do much for the weight loss goal. The primary driving factor there is CICO.

That said, I lift weights and do cardio to help stay in a deficit so that I CAN lose weight. I have a home gym though, so I don’t follow any of the body weight or resistance band programs out there. Someone else would be better equipped to point you towards some of the better ones.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    I use BeachBody on demand. It is not free. But it’s only $120 for a heat. 100s of workouts.
    What I like about it:
    - variety
    - all the workout programs have a calendar
    - flexibility re equipment needed — one programs use no equipment, others use loops, bands, dumbbells, etc

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Sydney Cummings on YouTube. New workout every day. You can buy her monthly calendar for $7.99 but it's not necessary. She is focused on strength, with some cardio mixed in, and a stretch on Sunday.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    MudDancer wrote: »

For strength training at home I do The RBG Workout (sniff)

But I spend a lot more time doing cardio. My preference is gardening. Since I moved here in 2016, we've put in five flower gardens, one ornamental grass section, and three raised-bed vegetable gardens.

Late fall - early spring I walk, hike, and do train maintenance.

When the summer heat trapped me indoors and I was maxed out on working out and yoga, I did a lot of deep cleaning/decluttering. I had plans for some painting projects, but lost interest once the weather cooled off and I could get back outside.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs since May with the help of a rebounder. I mostly use it as a stationery jogger. I started out being very out of shape and jogging/no jump bouncing for about 14 minutes (3 up tempo pop songs) every other day. Now I rebound non-stop for 45 minutes daily and have added free weights and floor leg exercises on alternate days. Rebounding has completely melted away my saddlebags and tightened my thighs and booty. Best of all, it feels almost effortless!
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Hello there!! How are you doing?

I am sorry to bring up an older thread -- I just came across it as I was perusing the discussions, and I feel inclined to offer my (humble) two-cents:
    TEAM BODY PROJECT.
    If you've seen my plentiful other posts touting Team Body Project, you might think I'm some kind of paid affiliate.
    I promise you I am not (and if you'd take a glimpse at my bank account, you'd believe me 😅😶).

Team Body Project (TBP) releases a generous amount of their workouts (some resistance-focused, some more cardio-focused, and others a nice mix of both) on YouTube for free.
    If you check it out (which I highly recommend anyone do -- just press play once -- I challenge you!! Of course, not everyone might enjoy it (which I must, with utmost respect, say absolutely shocks me), but I speak with wholehearted and earnest truth when I say I look forward to every session with TBP. (*I admit, some days I really lack the motivation and I get nervous about not having the energy and stamina, but those days are occasional, and I NEVER regret a completed session).

Be well and of great cheer!!
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    are you limited to indoors? if not than go for a nice walk each day, low impact and great for digestion, if you need to be indoors if you have a two story house do the stairs, or body squats (squats are king when it comes to exercise because you are exercising the biggest muscles on your body, biggest bang for the buck) you can take those to the next level by doing jump squats, not very high in the air just barely off the ground, start small, 10 per day for the first month, than 20 the next month per day, than 30 per day the next month, they can be 2 sets of 10 and then 3 sets of 10 what ever you feel comfortable with, same goes for jumping jacks