LET'S TALK THANKSGIVING!

Options

Replies

• reesegrace1
    reesegrace1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We get together with our kids & grandkids, there is 11 of us total. We usually do Turkey, gravy, dressing, cranberry sauce, Ham, mac & cheese, deviled eggs, , hashbrown casserole, cream corn, greenbeans, sometimes broccoli casserole or potato salad, mashed potatoes, desserts, sweet potato pies, pumpkin pies, chocolate pis, cake.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Are you guys going to log that day? I feel anxious just thinking about it πŸ™€
  • stephtra49
    stephtra49 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Turkey cooked on the Treager, cheesy bacon mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted asparagus, fruit salad & rolls. Desert will be pumpkin pie & chocolate cream pie. It will probably just be myself, husband, my dad, mother-in-law, daughter, son & his girlfriend. But not sure yet.
    Today begins the holiday season! πŸ¦ƒ ❄️ πŸŽ„ 😊
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options

I do because I just feel better. Even if I did not stick to my given plan that day. It helps mentally, knowing and making a conscious decision.
    You have to do what works for you, in the long run its about lifestyle and it is a journey. If you really want something, then decide weather or not it is worth it to you. If it is then enjoy! Even mindfulness on a day where you are not sticking to a regimen does wonders for the over all and long term. Do not beat yourself up! Enjoy what you do.
    There is always the option to give yourself a limit over the normal with enough room to have portions of what you want. For example if you are normally at 1200 then allow yourself an amount, say to 2200. Not unreasonable. Even if its an extra 1000+. For me, this makes it not seem as over whelming. Just my thoughts
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lol yes everyone me & all 3 of my friends together after checking temps is SO dangerous. Almost just as dangerous as hundreds of people in public gatherings with no health checks.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

I do because it reminds me that while it takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound, it also takes a 3500 calorie surplus to gain a pound. And, if you start with turkey breast which is only 152 calories per 4oz, before you go back for gravy and dressing rolls and pie, you can get a taste of everything.

I don't think many people will not start to feel pretty satisfed with 6-8oz of turkey breast, then on to the good stuff for another 1000 calories.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options

I do count. If I eat X amount of calories more than I normally do it helps me put things in perspective and get back on track.
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I’ll be logging, but not as accurately as usual. I’ll just be guesstimating. I don’t plan on pulling the scale out in front of everyone. And I’ll be using a general homemade mashed potato entry because I usually just make them as a single serving. I have no idea how many a large batch will serve so I doubt recipe builder will do me any good
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

If it's going to make you anxious, you may be better off not logging.

I'll log, although it will be different this year, since I won't be traveling to a family gathering, where the food is largely the same as it was in previous years, and I can just copy last year's Thanksgiving Day and tweak it, or find the food in My Recipes because most of the dishes people bring I've made myself.

I've been logging holidays for seven years now, and I find I might hit anywhere from a couple hundred calories over maintenance to close to a thousand calories over maintenance. YMMV, obvs.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

I wasn't planning to last year (my first year on MFP), but ended up doing a loose log.

For example, I entered my stuffing recipe here and guessed it was about 6 servings. Turned out to be close (we ate it over 3 meals), although I probably ate less than 1/6 each time because my spouse takes larger servings than I usually do.

What I didn't do was weigh my food, except for a couple items --
    Faux turkey, which is higher calories than actual turkey
    Whipped topping on my pie

For everything else, I used guestimates, mainly not to be annoying.

I didn't go over much that day and lost weight in November. One or two days is not a big deal in the long run.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    We're having about 8-10 family members and grandma is hosting. There'll be turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, 3-4 kinds of cranberries (canned jelly, homemade cranberry sauce, cranberry orange relish, and possibly cranberry marshmallow whipped cream "salad"), plus I'm sure a lot more. We like food. We'll usually narrow down the pies from an initial dozen choices to about 4 kinds. We fight over who gets to bake.

Grandma is 80 with the attitude "I'd rather die than be locked up in my house alone forever." We have a couple of us who have extensive contact with the public for our jobs so we may be unknowing carriers of the virus. At least two of the family are on the extreme end of the "covid is a hoax and I refuse to wear a mask" side of the argument. I'm by far the most cautious, but usually not that worried about covid and I do work with the public and I don't want to kill or sicken anybody. I plan to have a covid test before I go, but won't be able to quarantine more than a couple days before arriving for the holiday. And this is my favorite holiday...I'm not willing to miss it and neither is anyone else.

So, the current plan is to spread out 6 feet apart around the living room rather than eat at the table. It'll be too cold to eat outside.

Does anyone have ideas and suggestions on how to serve food? What are you doing? Is one person dishing up the meals in the kitchen? Or can you serve yourself, maybe using gloves and wearing a mask when around the serving dishes? Are you using china and silver or paper and plastic? Will there be an appetizer tray or a relish tray with dips or spreads or celery stuffed cheese on it? Are those a bad idea during covid?

Comments, ideas, suggestions, opinions are needed...

Thank you!
  • Steelkid
    Steelkid Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm skipping it and waiting on Xmas. Too much on the line right now.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I am also skipping it and the same for Christmas. Not worthy for me or my husband to get sick or make somebody sick just to keep a tradition that can be celebrated next year in better conditions (hopefully :/ ). Neither of us would be enjoying the celebration trying to keep people apart, wearing masks and hoping that nobody was infected anyway.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Nope. It's just one day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I don't log anything anymore, but when I did I never bothered with holidays...they are occasions and immaterial to the big picture. Nobody got fat because of a holiday...people get fat when they treat everyday like a holiday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Thanksgiving is going to be a pretty mellow affair for us this year. We were supposed to go to Tucson to see my wife's parents, but that doesn't look like it's happening. It'll likely just be my wife and my two kids, so I doubt we'll be doing a big turkey or anything.

Wife's parents will be out here for Christmas, so we'll probably just save the celebration and feasting for then.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Thanksgiving is going to be a pretty mellow affair for us this year. We were supposed to go to Tucson to see my wife's parents, but that doesn't look like it's happening. It'll likely just be my wife and my two kids, so I doubt we'll be doing a big turkey or anything.

Wife's parents will be out here for Christmas, so we'll probably just save the celebration and feasting for then.

My family is keeping it small, but still doing a turkey because LEFTOVERS
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    It's always just us immediate family, no change in plans this year. Wake up, watch Macy's Day Thanksgiving Day Parade (if it's still on) and a fun breakfast. Later I'm planning to throw the turkey in a roasting pan and head out for a run, come back and put Jiffy Corn Casserole in the oven. So far that's all I've got going on but I'm still thinking about what else I want to cook. Beverages, I'd like something hot so either tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. Still working on it...
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No big family gathering this year - so in order to stay on track with my diet, I'm making traditional Turkey Day goodies one at a time. That way, I won't feel like I've missed Thanksgiving - but won't pig out either.

I'll roast the turkey a few days early and have the sides one-by-one with each meal. Maybe gravy and stuffing the first night - then gravy and mashed potatoes the next. Low cal green bean salad... baked yams... honeyed butternut squash mashed with pumpkin spice baked in a ramekin and topped with sugar-free whipped topping to quell those pumpkin pie cravings.

There'll be a big Thanksgiving dinner this year - not just all at once.