Less Alcohol - NOVEMBER 2020 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    DH is drinking coffee with me after dinner. Bar was closed at home this evening :)

Nov accountability: 2/2 days AF

@MissMay - Thank you for the message of support!

☕😊
  • MissMay
    Options
    relax8 wrote: »
    Aloha all and aloha to "November to Remember". . .I LOVE it!!

Howdy back to ya @relax8. Will you be joining us to remember the 30 days of November 2020?
    At my age I dont need any "more" reasons to forget things. Lol
  • MissMay
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    I always like to post a standard drink chart every now and then. Recommended weekly drinks for women is 7 standard drinks. Kinda odd men have a count of 14 weekly. I think it should be the same for both genders. But hey I dont get the big bucks to write the rules.

I know this is partially snarky, and yessss for gender equality, but I’m like 60% confident that the difference between alcohol recommendations for the genders is a relatively recent change, like in the past decade. Studies were done linking higher alcohol consumption to reduced folate production in women, and the folate levels were low enough to increase the risk of breast cancer. Men did not have the same results. (Alcohol’s effect on folate and folate’s effect on breast cancer is still not that well correlated, but better safe than sorry?) Save the tatas, drink less booze.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, it’s been a while since I was reading scientific papers with vigor and I might not have my facts straight. Ok, back to lurking status again...

Good point on the breast cancer correlation. Yet, In general, men are 2-fold more likely to die from chronic liver disease and cirrhosis than are women, according to an analysis by the National Center for Health Statistics that was reported in 2005.
    I believe that it should be the lower of the two standards which is 7 drinks per week for both men and women to follow.
    😊
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Love Eggnog with rum and a dusting of nutmeg. I've only indulged 3-4 times over the past 10 years. When I buy it I'm usually serving it for a party and then when the evening is over I use the eggnog to make french toast the next morning :)

Leaving for the camp in the morning instead of Wednesday evening or Thursday. So DH picked up the wine we wanted for the weekend (TH-S). He bought an extra for this evening. He is stressed ... my mom's husband in ICU and going forward might become our problem, DH decided to stay with the company he is with and turned down a job offer with a start up, our dog left on a stud service, and then of course the election.
    He opened a bottle of wine but did not pour me a glass. :) I'm sticking with water this evening.
    AF!

Nov accountability: 3/3 days AF
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    "It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - Attributed to Abraham Lincoln

I have learnt so much from all of you just by being here.

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    @dawnbgethealthy "If you're not going to help, at least don't hurt..." It could be as easy as common sense. Don't throw trash out your car window or pick up the trash that slobs throw out. I do it. I used to tie a plastic bag around my stroller and wear a glove and pick up bags of trash with each walk out with my baby. I drive a hybrid (9 years now), I only use reusable bags, I rarely ever use my dryer but instead hang dry or use my drying rack for clothes, I repurpose, reuse, reduce, recycle everything I can. But I don't force it down other people's throats or insult them for not doing what I do. Action, not hypocrisy, gets it done. Not lip service or insults, but action speaks loudest. Other people in other towns...well fantastic but what are YOU doing to clean up your trashy doorstep before you help out that neighbor with advice? Of course this is a generalization to anyone, of course...not necessarily you.

@chocolate_owl I appreciate your research, scary but it is a positive to remember before pouring a drink because it's nice to know we can possibly deter some of these things...

@MissMay My husband is 130 pounds bigger than me. He could easily drink twice what I could.
  • MissMay
    Options
    @Lilylady3k emotional time for you and your family. My thoughts are with you.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    My "current" most common trigger is late-day supermarket shopping when hungry and tired. Blood sugar dips=bad decision-making for me.

AF last night. Today's focus for me is yoga and deep breathing. And yes, I will go for a walk and pick up debris on the bike lane as I normally do because I care about my neighbors and don't want them tripping over stuff or getting a flat tire from sharp objects. And yes I will eat my half-cup of Trader Joes's cuban style black beans with my early lunch so I can get some protein and iron. And yes, I will be cautious about the content and positive tone of what I write because words can have a powerful effect on others. Positivity always appreciated.

Namaste
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,556 Member
    Options
    @Lilylady3k
    I am so sorry about your Mom's husband.
    I am really glad that you and your DH are there for her.