Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

I wonder if this will change anything....

ccrdragonccrdragon Member Posts: 2,820 Member Member Posts: 2,820 Member
Under Armor has given up on MFP:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/under-armour-sells-fitness-app-myfitnesspal

Do you think this will bring any changes around here?

Replies

• GummiMundiGummiMundi Member Posts: 233 Member Member Posts: 233 Member
    @middlehaitch Thanks for sharing the email! (I checked but I didn't receive one).
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 8,525 Member Member Posts: 8,525 Member
    This is how Francisco Partners (a private equity firm that focuses on tech companies) describes their general approach on their website.

"We provide transformational capital to technology companies facing strategic or operational inflection points."

I recognize a few of the companies they've invested in, but don't know enough about them to have an opinion on what Francisco Partners did with them once they acquired them. The ones I recognized actually sell products and services, rather than selling users' eyeballs, but it's possible some or many of the ones I don't recognize are more in the MFP eyeball-selling model.

It will be interesting to see what they do.
  • Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 11,676 Member Member Posts: 11,676 Member
    Wonder what they'll do with the forum. You think they'll streamline it down to just the bare bones? That would be sad.
  • B_Plus_EffortB_Plus_Effort Member Posts: 259 Member Member Posts: 259 Member
    YES, when ever a big fish swallows a small fish the development comes to a halt, they just want to maximize profits and R&D is non existent
  • L1zardQueenL1zardQueen Member Posts: 7,927 Member Member Posts: 7,927 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Wonder what they'll do with the forum. You think they'll streamline it down to just the bare bones? That would be sad.

Just chit/chat. Yeppers
    @L1zardQueen They're getting rid of chitchat or only keeping chitchat? You're kidding me, yes? :#

Wonder if they'll conduct a survey. I bet you have some ideas. Heckatoot, we all do.
    edited October 31
    @muszyngr Did you hear that? Your fave stays. :D Only chitchat and absolutely no adult conversations ever again. o:) I know how much you like them but they're outta here.
    edited October 31
  • ReenieHJReenieHJ Member Posts: 2,839 Member Member Posts: 2,839 Member
    Egads, don't take chitchat away. :( I'd have to go in search of a new home.
  • dandurdandur Member Posts: 266 Member Member Posts: 266 Member
    OH NO! Don't take fun and games away either! Wherever will I find a forum with nothing but "Does/will/how/would.... the person above?" and "Add a word/drop a word" on page after page after page after page....
    edited November 1
  • threewinsthreewins Member Posts: 768 Member Member Posts: 768 Member
    Although the article says it's 200 million users, I have trouble believing it's that high. That's probably the number of people who ever signed up, some people would have multiple email addresses over the years. Plus the inevitable sign up after Christmas and stop using it after a few weeks.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 17,070 Member Member, Premium Posts: 17,070 Member
    As long as they don't let the people who write MFP's mostly-silly blog posts start iron-hand moderating the forums, we'll be fine.

(Joking. Sort of.)

I'll return us to the general trend of this thread: Speculate => assume => catastrophize => panic => complain about the imagined but believed-true speculations. 🤣