Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I wonder if this will change anything....

ccrdragon
ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
Under Armor has given up on MFP:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/under-armour-sells-fitness-app-myfitnesspal

Do you think this will bring any changes around here?

Replies

• GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    @middlehaitch Thanks for sharing the email! (I checked but I didn't receive one).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    This is how Francisco Partners (a private equity firm that focuses on tech companies) describes their general approach on their website.

"We provide transformational capital to technology companies facing strategic or operational inflection points."

I recognize a few of the companies they've invested in, but don't know enough about them to have an opinion on what Francisco Partners did with them once they acquired them. The ones I recognized actually sell products and services, rather than selling users' eyeballs, but it's possible some or many of the ones I don't recognize are more in the MFP eyeball-selling model.

It will be interesting to see what they do.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    YES, when ever a big fish swallows a small fish the development comes to a halt, they just want to maximize profits and R&D is non existent
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Wonder what they'll do with the forum. You think they'll streamline it down to just the bare bones? That would be sad.

Just chit/chat. Yeppers
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    @L1zardQueen They're getting rid of chitchat or only keeping chitchat? You're kidding me, yes? :#

Wonder if they'll conduct a survey. I bet you have some ideas. Heckatoot, we all do.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    @muszyngr Did you hear that? Your fave stays. :D Only chitchat and absolutely no adult conversations ever again. o:) I know how much you like them but they're outta here.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Egads, don't take chitchat away. :( I'd have to go in search of a new home.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2020
    OH NO! Don't take fun and games away either! Wherever will I find a forum with nothing but "Does/will/how/would.... the person above?" and "Add a word/drop a word" on page after page after page after page....
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Although the article says it's 200 million users, I have trouble believing it's that high. That's probably the number of people who ever signed up, some people would have multiple email addresses over the years. Plus the inevitable sign up after Christmas and stop using it after a few weeks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Interesting:

"Under Armour... bought MyFitnessPal for $475M and five years later is reportedly selling it for $345M"
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Very interesting. It would be awesome if the new owner actually was interested in investing some resources in MFP.

But but but we have badges now!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Wonder what they'll do with the forum. You think they'll streamline it down to just the bare bones? That would be sad.

No I don’t think so
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Interesting:

"Under Armour... bought MyFitnessPal for $475M and five years later is reportedly selling it for $345M"

Well, maybe they just were successful at "weight" loss????

You do realize that WE are the product.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Very interesting. It would be awesome if the new owner actually was interested in investing some resources in MFP.

But but but we have badges now!

We don't need no stinkin' badges.
    Just give us our chitchat!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Interesting:

Well, maybe they just were successful at "weight" loss????

You do realize that WE are the product.

The only ones who are the product are the ones who pay for premium. I have and always will continue to use the free version. If the new owners charge for everything, then I’m OUT!