Good substitutes for corn in chili?

Options
okbuddha
okbuddha Posts: 22 Member
Corn doesn’t really add much for me, but I would like to switch it out with something that adds to the recipe.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    IDK...I've never heard of having corn in chili. Mine is usually a 3 bean variety with ground beef.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Adds what? Corn adds a nice crisp sweetness and is fairly low calorie. You could add riced cauliflower, but it would not add much flavor.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    "Add" as far as flavor? Nutrition? What do you currently put in your chili? That would help as far as receiving suggestions that would work with your recipe.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People who like corn in chili like it because they enjoy what it adds, so if you won't enjoy it . . . just don't add it? You can switch it for anything that you think WILL add to it.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    People put corn in chilli? I wasn't aware that was a thing in the first place. Just switch it up fir something you prefer maybe some chopped Bell pepper or another type of bean?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    If it's a texture thing what about garbanzo beans? They're firmer than black beans (at least canned). I make sweet potato turkey chili, it's good with the seasonings. Another thing in a chili I've tried is quinoa but I prefer extra beans when I make that recipe.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    If it's a texture thing what about garbanzo beans? They're firmer than black beans (at least canned). I make sweet potato turkey chili, it's good with the seasonings. Another thing in a chili I've tried is quinoa but I prefer extra beans when I make that recipe.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’ve never heard of corn in chili. I use it in chicken tortilla soup though. I just use ground turkey, kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, spicy V8, diced bell pepper, onions and celery, and spices.
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use corn in chilli because I think it tastes nice, and I make vegetarian chilli so it breaks up the beans. But if you don't like it, just leave it out. It's totally unnecessary.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’ve never done sweetcorn in chilli, but I go through phases where I’ll add roughly chopped button mushrooms in the last 15 mins or so. I don’t eat standard chilli myself but do make it with meat still for my husband. Peppers, beans (always kidney beans, but also black or pinto sometimes) and I find the mushrooms added towards the end of a very slow, very low cook (4 hours +) add a bit of veggie ‘bite’ which may appeal to you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I’ve never used corn in chili but I do add chunked up yellow squash and recently added a sweet potato. I’ll do that again!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Chili is the ultimate "clean out the fridge and the pantry" meal.
    I use corn about half the time if I have some around...it's pretty good, actually!
    If you're looking to sub a different veggie, diced carrots are good.