Good substitutes for corn in chili?

okbuddha
okbuddha Posts: 22 Member
Corn doesn’t really add much for me, but I would like to switch it out with something that adds to the recipe.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    IDK...I've never heard of having corn in chili. Mine is usually a 3 bean variety with ground beef.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Adds what? Corn adds a nice crisp sweetness and is fairly low calorie. You could add riced cauliflower, but it would not add much flavor.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    "Add" as far as flavor? Nutrition? What do you currently put in your chili? That would help as far as receiving suggestions that would work with your recipe.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    People who like corn in chili like it because they enjoy what it adds, so if you won't enjoy it . . . just don't add it? You can switch it for anything that you think WILL add to it.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    People put corn in chilli? I wasn't aware that was a thing in the first place. Just switch it up fir something you prefer maybe some chopped Bell pepper or another type of bean?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,552 Member
    If it's a texture thing what about garbanzo beans? They're firmer than black beans (at least canned). I make sweet potato turkey chili, it's good with the seasonings. Another thing in a chili I've tried is quinoa but I prefer extra beans when I make that recipe.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,552 Member
    If it's a texture thing what about garbanzo beans? They're firmer than black beans (at least canned). I make sweet potato turkey chili, it's good with the seasonings. Another thing in a chili I've tried is quinoa but I prefer extra beans when I make that recipe.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I’ve never heard of corn in chili. I use it in chicken tortilla soup though. I just use ground turkey, kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, spicy V8, diced bell pepper, onions and celery, and spices.
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    I use corn in chilli because I think it tastes nice, and I make vegetarian chilli so it breaks up the beans. But if you don't like it, just leave it out. It's totally unnecessary.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I’ve never done sweetcorn in chilli, but I go through phases where I’ll add roughly chopped button mushrooms in the last 15 mins or so. I don’t eat standard chilli myself but do make it with meat still for my husband. Peppers, beans (always kidney beans, but also black or pinto sometimes) and I find the mushrooms added towards the end of a very slow, very low cook (4 hours +) add a bit of veggie ‘bite’ which may appeal to you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I’ve never used corn in chili but I do add chunked up yellow squash and recently added a sweet potato. I’ll do that again!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Chili is the ultimate "clean out the fridge and the pantry" meal.
    I use corn about half the time if I have some around...it's pretty good, actually!
    If you're looking to sub a different veggie, diced carrots are good.