my doc says don't eat exercise calories??????

Options

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Honestly - my natural daily activity is pretttaaaaaaaaaaaaay laaaaaazy. At least it was for 40 years. Now I'm all "active and fit" but who knows how long I will keep that up! Best to get control of the food. I'm soooo sick of being fat!
    Absolutely, you need to get control of the food. To me, having control of my food means knowing how to use it to fuel my body. I work out, and I work out hard. I need to eat more because of that. I exercise for my health and fitness, not as an excuse to overeat. If I abruptly stopped working out, I would definitely need to adjust my eating accordingly, but I refuse to be afraid to eat what my body needs to keep it strong.

That's a GREAT way to explain/look at it. Thanks!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly - my natural daily activity is pretttaaaaaaaaaaaaay laaaaaazy. At least it was for 40 years. Now I'm all "active and fit" but who knows how long I will keep that up! Best to get control of the food. I'm soooo sick of being fat!
    Absolutely, you need to get control of the food. To me, having control of my food means knowing how to use it to fuel my body. I work out, and I work out hard. I need to eat more because of that. I exercise for my health and fitness, not as an excuse to overeat. If I abruptly stopped working out, I would definitely need to adjust my eating accordingly, but I refuse to be afraid to eat what my body needs to keep it strong.

That's a GREAT way to explain/look at it. Thanks!

You're welcome. I hope my experience can be helpful for someone else. I wasn't until I made my health a priority that the weight came off and stayed off, even though I had tried time and time again before to lose weight. If you take care of your health, the weight loss is just a natural (and welcome!) side effect.
  • summerw123
    Options
    Eat foods that fill you up longer and space them out during the day. I think I would agree witht the doc's advice that try to eat as little of them as possible. Your body is probably getting used to it now so give it a little shock just to get the body working again.
  • summerw123
    Options
    1000 cals is pretty low but if it is ok fro ur body then stick to it. Just make sure you dont get hungry. Try to add a lot of fiber to your diet and that(may be disgusting) but is amazing for your bowel movements and really gets that junk out of you. I love weighing myslef after that > LOL sorry of i gross anyone out :)
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thats what my doc says too. I THOUGHT people were full of baloney to say to eat exercise cals so I asked my doc. My doc says that people who say that just want permission to overeat. Do NOT eat your exercies cals!

Your doctor is way off base and has no idea how MFP works.
  • jkohan
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, all so positive would be great to have you as pals so please feel free to add me. Have decided to try to stick to 1000 calories as per my docs advice & shall see how that goes before getting the hrm. Just back from a fabulous 80 minute in pool workout, put together a load of exercises myself much to the amusement of the life guards, really got the heart pumping & at one point my friend & I laughed so much thought we may drown!!! They say laughter is the best medicine so why not try it ?
    Hoping I can stick to the 1000 cals so shall see how I manage.Thanks again you lovely people really appreciate it.

i'm glad you're feeling better about things. 1000 calories is frighteningly LOW, especially with 80 min in the pool. I would not wait to get a HRM. In my experience, my 45 min in the pool last weekend was computed by MFP to be 600 calories...my HRM read 289. MFP computations are notorious for being inaccurate for many people. I would start with making sure your logged exercise and calories are accurate before slashing your intake to 1000 calories.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Well after a week I shall have an idea of how accurate they are for me, I stress 4 me as think we are all different but shall be able to see how much I lose & how many calories mfp thinks I burned through exercise. My goal is now set at 1000 calories.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Well after a week I shall have an idea of how accurate they are for me, I stress 4 me as think we are all different but shall be able to see how much I lose & how many calories mfp thinks I burned through exercise. My goal is now set at 1000 calories.

If you don't mind, I'd like to offer a little advice about 1000 calories- since I did it and was heavily monitored.

If you focus mostly on whole foods you will notice that it is not hard to stick that low. You will also have a better chance of meeting your nurtient goals and not risking deficiency in anything. But it still is a good idea to take a multi-vitamin.

I took the approach recommended by the macrobiotic diet. Your plate/meal should be 1/4 protien, 1/4 carb, and 1/2 vegetables. The more veggies the better because they are obviously good for you, full of fiber, and very filling. Eating low-fat or low-cal "products" do funny things to your hormones and might actually make you crave things or feel hungrier.

Also, listen to your body and don't beat yourself up if you go over. You'll see by sticking to the fresh foods, its easy to maintain, but you will have days where your mind takes over. Keep logging your food and exercise and use the notes section of your diary. Keep track of how you feel, headaches, bloating, even your BM's. Especially keep track of the good things like energy, happy moods, etc. When you look over it you start to see patterns and it gets easier. Plus its a great way to keep your doctor informed about how you are doing.

I hope that helps. Good luck. Feel free to PM or add me for support.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Some others have already stated it, but if u are eating under ur calories and exercising and still not losing, u are perhaps under reporting ur calories. I hate to suggest it cause its so expensive, but i would consider investing in a body bug or heart rate monitor and food scale. You also have to remember to add condiments, cream and sugar that u put in ur coffee and all that jazz. those things add up! my sig other is a personal trainer and advises not to eliminate exercise calories, ur body needs these for performance and to keep ur metabolism working. good luck!!

Thanks CB Personally I will take a personal trainers advice over a doctor's any day of the week ;) Plus just a side note My doctor is absolutley THRILLED With MFP and agrees whole heartedly with eating the calories so Doctor's options do vary. :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Thats what my doc says too. I THOUGHT people were full of baloney to say to eat exercise cals so I asked my doc. My doc says that people who say that just want permission to overeat. Do NOT eat your exercies cals!

I think some people on this site are way off base and have no idea of the way Doctors work.

How bloody arrogant can some people get.

Doctors spend years and years training in the medical profession, can anybody on here (unless they are of that profession) really say they claim to know more than a doctor does when it comes to bodily functions?

I am astounded to be honest and all those that are giving advice to ignore the person's doctor should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh, study at dieting for a few months and know more than a professional who has trained for years.

To the OP - stick with your doctor's advice, they know you inside out and have your medical history at the ready. Take notice of strangers at your peril.

ps everybody, I am just wondering what my doctor would think if I were to sit opposite from him and say

"you are speaking crap, they tell me so on the net"

"who is?" he asks

"Well lots of strangers actually, they have been dieting for a few months you see, they know what they are talking about"

Really?
  • jkohan
    Options

I think some people on this site are way off base and have no idea of the way Doctors work.

Doctors spend years and years training in the medical profession, can anybody on here (unless they are of that profession) really say they claim to know more than a doctor does when it comes to bodily functions?

I am astounded to be honest and all those that are giving advice to ignore the person's doctor should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh, study at dieting for a few months and know more than a professional who has trained for years.

To the OP - stick with your doctor's advice, they know you inside out and have your medical history at the ready. Take notice of strangers at your peril.

ps everybody, I am just wondering what my doctor would think if I were to sit opposite from him and say

"who is?" he asks

"Well lots of strangers actually, they have been dieting for a few months you see, they know what they are talking about"

Really?

Since you quoted me and are being quite arrogant yourself for clearly seeking out my post, I feel the need to respond.

I was NOT referring to her doctor's advice to not eating the calories. I was referring to this comment: "My doc says that people who say that just want permission to overeat." That is a crap thing for any doctor to say, arrogant or not. AND, it is NOT how MFP works, now is it?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

Actually it's important to realize that no doctor is an expert in everything related to health. Most general practitioners are exactly that - *general* practitioners and are not experts on nutrition/weight loss. My general practitioner suggested I see the practice's nutrition expert, who has a master's in public health in nutrition degree when I asked her some nutrition questions because she knows that just because she's a doctor doesn't mean she's the best person to answer my questions.

Doctors are human and are biased/misinformed/make mistakes just like the rest of us and sometimes give advice on things they really aren't the most informed on. I've had personal experiences with doctors giving bad advice - people need to know it's okay to question their doctors and shouldn't assume that doctors are always right.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I will add my two cents for whatever they are worth.......lol! I have lost 37 lbs and have eaten my exercise calories every day:laugh:
  • LotusF1ower
    Options

Actually it's important to realize that no doctor is an expert in everything related to health. Most general practitioners are exactly that - *general* practitioners and are not experts on nutrition/weight loss. My general practitioner suggested I see the practice's nutrition expert, who has a master's in public health in nutrition degree when I asked her some nutrition questions because she knows that just because she's a doctor doesn't mean she's the best person to answer my questions.

Doctors are human and are biased/misinformed/make mistakes just like the rest of us and sometimes give advice on things they really aren't the most informed on. I've had personal experiences with doctors giving bad advice - people need to know it's okay to question their doctors and shouldn't assume that doctors are always right.

I will still say they know a bloody lot more than 99% of the general public when it comes to bodily functions.

General Practioners will train for over nine or ten years to get to a GP, so I really do consider that they are a little more qualified than message board forums are.

Anybody who is given bad advice by their doctor needs to change their GP.

Questioning their doctor is one thing, but to override somebody else's doctor is a bad idea.
  • LotusF1ower
    Options

"who is?" he asks

Really?

Since you quoted me and are being quite arrogant yourself for clearly seeking out my post, I feel the need to respond.

I was NOT referring to her doctor's advice to not eating the calories. I was referring to this comment: "My doc says that people who say that just want permission to overeat." That is a crap thing for any doctor to say, arrogant or not. AND, it is NOT how MFP works, now is it?

It may not be how MFP planned for it to work, however, I have seen some of the "exercise" some people input in order to eat their extra calories, so I could quite believe that for some people it is just an excuse to continue eating.

Their choice, but then they can hardly moan when the weight doesn't shift and I am in no way referring to the original poster in this statement either.

How is it arrogant quoting your posting? I did not "seek" out your post, I read it and clicked on "quote" - I don't deliberately seek out anybodys posting sheesh :laugh:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I will still say they know a bloody lot more than 99% of the general public when it comes to bodily functions.

General Practioners will train for over nine or ten years to get to a GP, so I really do consider that they are a little more qualified than message board forums are.

Anybody who is given bad advice by their doctor needs to change their GP.

Questioning their doctor is one thing, but to override somebody else's doctor is a bad idea.

I definitely agree that in most cases doctors are more qualified to give advice than everyday folk about health, however, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that a doctor who says not to eat exercise calories back may not understand how MFP is designed to work. (Yes, people abuse the "eating exercise calories back", but if it's done correctly it works.) I also know that I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone I cared about if I thought that advice they were given from their doctor was unreasonable/off-base.

I don't see anything wrong with challenging advice that a doctor has given someone. Each of us is responsible for making our own decisions, and telling someone they think their doctor is wrong is in no way "overriding" that doctor. Only the individual who is making the decision can do that. Even doctors don't agree about what the best way is to lose weight... and I've heard of some "doctors" supporting some pretty ridiculous weight loss methods (ridiculous in my opinion). I think it's each person's responsibility to seek multiple sources of information, including info from doctors, nutritionists, research, other people's experience, our own experince etc. and to synthesize all of that into deciding what is right for them.

Really not trying to be argumentative here. :flowerforyou: Just trying to make sure it's clear what I'm trying to say and expand upon my initial thoughts.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Interesting to hear so many differing opinions & think at the end of the day we have to learn to listen to our bodies but the problem is we have killed those natural eating instincts by overeating. Looks as if my journey will be long but am pleased to report a loss in both weight & inches : 2" off bust & 2" off bum & 3" off waist so my last 16 months of swimming trying to build on poor fitness after a back op is finally paying off. Think I can truly say that I am converting some fat to muscle but because I have been doing this for so long as I don't think this happens in weeks but in months.
    I am trying to stick as close to 1000 calories per day as possible although after a long, strenuous swim this is not always easy. Have also discovered that my arthritis & NSAIDs will, at tie cause excess water retention so think this is part of my problem.
    My diary is open if anyone wants to look at it & any added suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the interest & support.
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    May I make a suggestion? I watched an interesting BBC program on weight loss and they showed that on average, people under-report their calories, even when keeping a food journal. In a case study, there was a woman who swore up and down that she ate well between 1100-1200 calories but couldn't lose weight and blamed her lack of progress to a slow metabolism.

I would place my bet on this reason.

Most of us are not going to be dead-on 100% of the time in our MFP diary. This diary is much easier for me than remembering to write it down by hand each morning, but the one member who said it isn't 100% right is correct also. I compare mine to a BMR formula I was taught in my training certification class and there's at least a 10% difference.
    The MFP has me at 2620 calories per day and I almost always have 500-600 cal. remaining, even on cheat days.

I'd say DON'T eat your extra calories, especially if you're not feeling hungry. You may have missed adding something or the MFP is not calculating your totals as accurately as you think. Also, when it comes to diet, I'd take a general MD's advice with a grain of salt.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options